Official test results of the HD Lightning just in!

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
A big thanks to Dave from Arrow Motorized Cycles for doing a great job evaluating Huffydavidson's HD Lightning!
After a full day of comprehensive testing at the Grange race track in California, the HD Lightning aftermarket CDI for the China Girl 2 stroke bicycle engines has conclusively shown that the HD Lightning yields significant improvement in acceleration and even small gain in top RPM performance over the stock CDI.
There have been other aftermarket CDI's for sale for some time now, but those have already been ruled out as viable ignition systems for optimal performance.
Anyone who knows Dave Rust from Arrow Motorized Cycles knows that his race team has dominated 2 stroke bicycle racing, and that is no accident.
Accurate testing techniques, including lap times, plug readings, temperature readings and top speed (by radar) was employed at the track.
You can expect to see the HD Lightning ignition units powering all of Arrow's 2 stroke race bikes now.
Congrats Dan!

Attachments

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Kudos to Dave for running the lighting through the test and a great big kudos to Dan for getting the HD lighting to the market, I know I'll love mine once my build gets up and running :)

Dan.

48ccbiker

Apr 5, 2013
California
You admit that you only tested it against the stock CDI but then say "all other" aftermarket CDIs are "ruled out" as being any good.
How can they be ruled out if you haven't done an honest side by side test with them?
Also keep in mind that the best performance can be short lived if it allows a bit of detonation which slowly eats away at the piston top. What good is performance if reliability is cut in half?
All manufacturers of racing motorcycles basically detune them a bit in order to make them reliable, knowing that a bike that doesn't finish a race is no better than the slowest bike on the track.
Excessive ignition advance contributes to detonation.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I have a Jaguar(original version before the Dragonfly) and the Lightning, I prefer the Lightning hands down! The Jag doesn't seem to help the bottom end much but the Lightning does along with mid and top end. The Jag has 3 different settings but the only performance gain I saw was the default setting on the Jag. The lightning doesn't have any adjustability but it doesn't need it.......lol

The Lightning hands down!

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
You admit that you only tested it against the stock CDI but then say "all other" aftermarket CDIs are "ruled out" as being any good.
How can they be ruled out if you haven't done an honest side by side test with them?
Also keep in mind that the best performance can be short lived if it allows a bit of detonation which slowly eats away at the piston top. What good is performance if reliability is cut in half?
All manufacturers of racing motorcycles basically detune them a bit in order to make them reliable, knowing that a bike that doesn't finish a race is no better than the slowest bike on the track.
Excessive ignition advance contributes to detonation.
The after market CDI's actually retard the timing as you go thru the rpm range, that's how they improve top end. 2 strokes are the complete opposite of a 4 stroke. They greatly reduce the possibility of pre ignition.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just out of curiosity would a vintage style plug work compatibly with your system or do you use a special wire?

Last edited:

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Pablo, Any experience running your cdi and Magnecor with handheld gps mounted to handle bars? I mean as far as interference goes?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The actual data belongs to arrow cycles race team we don't share the playbook.
Why would a documentation of lap time gains be proprietary? Are you seriously telling me that another team possibly finding out your lap times is more important than backing up claims made in order to advertise a new product?
Get a stock junker and do another test or something. It's kinda bogus to make a claim of improved power using lap time data for verification, then refusing to release the lap times. Why sell them if winning is what you are worried about?
That's like me claiming I build a better unit than you and refusing to allow anyone else to see it.
Just my two cents. Your reviews speak for themselves but this whole "race proven and tested'' thing is starting to sound like ad copy to me....