Anybody using this pipe?

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Sorry I do not have a camera, but this silencer definetly fits. You just need a mallet to smack it in there good. There may have been a tiny power loss, but to me it is worth it, nothing I noticed.

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
Tractor supply sells the same one for 4 bucks. but they have several, so i'll have to bring the pipe down with me.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
For reference, can you post a picture of it with the silencer on?

The silencer portion is the gray 'extension'. It was well worth the install --- it really mellowed the exhaust note. As mentioned, I really couldn't tell a difference in the performance.

I run an NT Speed carb with a #60 jet (I run my mix at 50:1) and the needle clip is on the second from the top notch. My altitude is 1200'. My rear sprocket is a 36 tooth with a 26X1.75 tire. It'll run just a touch over 40 mph in this configuration, which is plenty for me. Seems like the 'happy spot' is in the 27 to 30 mph range. The plug chop shows this to be about where I need to be.

(And yes, I've now permanently anchored the rear support bar.)

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I have been following this thread and have been thinking about investing in one of these for my more performance oriented bike. Seems to provide good performance.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have been following this thread and have been thinking about investing in one of these for my more performance oriented bike. Seems to provide good performance.

It is a well made piece, however, the welds are certainly not pretty. The performance is about on par with my homemade exhaust. The long term durability will certainly be far better than what I made. Also, for a Huffy frame, I had to 'massage' the bike side of the expansion chamber so that the exhaust would bolt up flush to the exhaust port of my engine.

Overall, quite satisfied after I wedged the small Briggs muffler into the tailpipe.

xct2

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I am a huffy owner as well with a "custom" snake pipe that well let's just say your's home made pipe was probably a bit more pretty! Maybe down the road sometime when I have $80 to spare.

JethroBodine

Sep 23, 2015
Pontiac.Mi
I used a lawnmower muffler also,toned it down a lot.The one thing I don't care for on this pipe is the exhaust flange opening could be bigger.
I'm waiting on some jets from treatland to hopefully dial in my mikuni.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I used a lawnmower muffler also,toned it down a lot.The one thing I don't care for on this pipe is the exhaust flange opening could be bigger.
I'm waiting on some jets from treatland to hopefully dial in my mikuni.

I agree with this, the manifold opening is small. My Skyhawk engine could've used a much larger oval/rectangular opening. Oh well, I guess it's made to fit most everything out there.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You can always port match it to flow better. I bet you would get a bit more performance out of it if you were to do that.

Think I'm gonna just leave it as is --- anyway, I couldn't 'hog' it out large enough to match the opening and the pipe size matches the opening. To gain much, the 'collector' needs to be larger.

I may get a Fred Head as my last engine mod, at least on this build, to maximize what I've got.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The Fred Head is in route. Should be here Saturday.

I think a set of JATO boosters will be next.........:D

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
Hey guys, would adding something like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yk5eFfbhL._SY355_.jpg) to the end of the pipe and welding on a muffler like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...ash=item3aa29d47af:g:Y9cAAOSwEeFU3EPi&vxp=mtr) Decrease the performance? Note, These are just examples. what i want to know, is would that hinder the pipe or create some back pressure that could be beneficial? The intent of that tip piece is to reduce the size of the opening on the end so that a real silencer could be welded on.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I couldn't tell any difference from the aftermarket expansion pipe to 'old school muffler wedgied in the arse pipe' (other than a lot less noise). Didn't even need to weld it and it's been about 50 - 55 miles in this configuration --- even some rougher than corncob lake trails.

As long as the final opening is at least 1/2", it probably doesn't matter what you do, in my opinion. Cie la vie.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I painted the muffler after I wedged it. There's no trace of the original paint on the muffler showing next to the expansion chamber pipe --- it hasn't moved at all.