Leaky gas tank ?

GoldenMotor.com

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
Is this happening to anyone else, the fuel was leaking where the studs where welded into the tank.

If any one has any info on this for fixing or replacement ideas please share!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i fixed one with jb weld. normally i'm against using jb weld for anything, but it worked.

drain the tank and use a wire wheel to grind off all the paint and rough up the metal around the stud.

thoroughly clean the area with carb cleaner or something. make sure it's completely clean and completly dry.

mix up some jb and slather it around the stud.

let it dry over night, or in the sun, whatever, but make sure it's 100% cured before you reinstall it.

cut up an old innertube and wrap it around the frame where the tank mounts to give it some cushion.

tighten all the nuts securely, but just enough so the tank won't move.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
I have 3 or 4 new tanks, if you can't fix it i'll mail you 1 if you want to pay the postage.
i used my dremel to sand around the studs and then i used JB quik weld that cures in 5 mins i left it for half a day slapped it back on my bike and lasted a few miles and started leaking again :(

would you really send me one?? i would definitely pay postage!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a hint for mounting a kit peanut tank:

Go to a auto windshield and glass shop and ask for 'window setting tape'. You'll only need about a foot, they'll probably give it to you. It is a rubbery material, about 1/8" thick and if you spray a little WD-40 on it it will turn gooey until the WD evaporates then
gets sticky. Lay it on the top bar where the tank mounts, or apply it to the saddle/tunnel of the tank.
It will keep the tank in place without needing to tighten the clamps too much. Overtightening the fasteners is usually what causes the tank studs to fail and leak.

Another idea is to use double sided tape. I like the thick stuff. 3M makes it and most hardware stores carry it. It serves the same function as the window tape. It adheres the tank to the bar, cushions it slightly and doesn't require the nuts/studs to be so tight to keep the tank from moving.

Tom