51 schwinn panther build

GoldenMotor.com

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
thank you guys for this forum,the builds you do is out standing and when i found this i was blown away in what you all do so i guess i had to build one myself but the hard thing for me was finding the places to ship to me the parts i wanted so it sure has taken alot of time and dollars to get this bike the way it is today .i only need a chamber and a spark system and a half link ,are they ok to use ? when i finish this i looking to do a 4stroke next ...

Last edited:

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
auflgi just ordered myself a sick bike part chamber as i see on some of NORM'S build's as i see him run them under ,just wondering what header dia and length is best for these chamber's or are all different in a way to tune .also K.MAH has a modified cdi i going to try out with three different jumpers maybe winter ,summer , and spring jumpers might be the goods cause we in tasmania have all the weather in one day but hope one spot will be sweet to run both the coil's ...now i guess i have to wait three week's before they come

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
hsvmick,
Fine looking build you have going for you. And welcome to the forum, mate.

The straightbar Schwinn frame (Panther) remains my favorite both for it's looks and also for how it feels riding it. It is just right for a motorbike. My frame is from a 50 Panther and I did one up for a friend using a 49 frame using Pat's very first in frame tank for a Panther. That was some year's back.

It would be good if you could post photos directly here, but if not, can we get some bigger ones? I'd love to see more detail. If it were my bike I'd be tempted to call it the Tasmanian Devil. Ha!
SB

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
thank's silverbear,nice to read your post and threads i have done of yours i not sure how to put up pictures as yet but will for sure .i not got a name for the bike as yet i no stickers on the tank now and the devil a how about the tasmania tiger cause mate this 51 is just as rare here then the tiger laff

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For some reason the photobucket wasn't enlarging for me, but now it is so I have plenty of detail and what fine details they are. Wonderful! Actually a perfect name for it is already there in that it is a classy and fast looking "1951 Panther"... woohoo! Well done, sir!
SB

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
got myself a sick bike part chamber in the mail today ,along with another parcel which i opened and it was a nice modified cdi unit with 5 jumper suites thanks k-mah now waiting to get a header to suit the chamber then i can test run this machine ....i will post some pictures of the finished panther soon enough .wee.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
i have finished the panther with a custom sick bike chamber with a cnc header and welded the pipe in two places to meet the chamber, and to look in line of the frame and i am happy how its come out .i also fitted the modified 5jumper suit ( set ON THE 27 jumper ) into a custom made alloy box and sit's like a glove ...and placed on the down tube of seat post hope the setting is right to fire the twin plug's i have run out of day light to test run today but have down loaded a couple more picture's of pipe fitted cdi box and i also fitted the custom clutch cover's what come in mail today thank's all who have shipped parts to me to make this bike ...i will tell you all how it run's tomorrow and more photo's cheers mick

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a fine looking panther, Mick. If it runs half as good as it looks you've got a winner. That one should turn some heads!

Just read a book that takes place in Tasmania called Bay Of Fires by Poppy Gee. You live in a beautiful part of our world, mate.
SB

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
thank's SILVERBEAR,i not long looked at your photo of your fine work and your mate look's so cool seating in his spot with the goggle's on ,does he ride with you often ...Your right this state is a beautiful layed back place ,i just find it hard to get the right part's here and know you guy's have all in your state ...AND Silverbear is it easy to get a schwinn motor bike bicycle where you are early 40's or so cheers mick

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
thank's SILVERBEAR,i not long looked at your photo of your fine work and your mate look's so cool seating in his spot with the goggle's on ,does he ride with you often ...Your right this state is a beautiful layed back place ,i just find it hard to get the right part's here and know you guy's have all in your state ...AND Silverbear is it easy to get a schwinn motor bike bicycle where you are early 40's or so cheers mick
And thank you for your kind words, Mick. Yeah, that's Aaniimoosh (Ojibwa/Chippewa Indian word meaning 'dog') The Wonder Dog who is my biker babe and the reason for the sidecar. That's her bike and I just run it for her. Sometimes she asks (barks) to go for a ride and always wants to come with me if I'm going some place. The heaviness of this rig is making me do a couple of upgrades soon. To give it more power for hills it is getting a 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke engine and I'm changing out the front drum from a Worksman to a used one from a Honda 55 trail bike which is much bigger and looks to be very well made. Between the sidecar, heavy bike, old bear running it and the dog there's a lot of weight to bring to a stop. Crashing is one way, but good brakes is better.

I can well imagine that it is sometimes frustrating having to send away for everything you need for your build, but actually I do, too, as I live in a large forest with few people. The difference is that my shipping costs are reasonable and it doesn't take long for parts to get to me. I know shipping from the U.S. to Tasmania has to be crazy expensive, especially for something like a bike frame or wheels. These old panther frames are getting harder to find, but a lot were made fortunately. I found mine at the local dump... incredible I know. But... with all the expense and trouble getting things together for your build you can be sure you're the only kid on your block with one of those! Ha! And having a long awaited part arrive must feel like Christmas has come with the postman.
SB

Last edited:

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
MATE you sound like a true champion ,and i could see Aaniimoosh own's her bike and you only the builder lol and crazy expensive shipping can be but for the past 6 month's christmas was coming each week for me ...i been building motorised bikes for 12 month's here nothing like the Panther but all ht china engines gt5 gubree mountain bikes for the local tasmanians which they love and now posting to australia so the word travels and i only have a ad on a local gumtree site making me busy and building my ride in the process of many many builds to pay for this panther .your next project sound's interesting with a 147cc motor and still a 2 stroke ? i think i might build a 4 stroke next but something is telling me to try and ship another early panther to fit a worked morini before the 4stroke so i guess my bike builds will keep all tasmanians happy till my next project is done again

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The bike looks great. The Panther frame is also my favorite. Unfortunately a Morini won't fit without frame mods. For 4 strokes a 99cc Honda clone will fit, a Whizzer 137cc will fit, and a 3 hp and maybe 3.5 hp Briggs will fit. I'm sure there a few more but I just listed what I was able to get into one on the upper 4 stroke displacement size. Here is the build I'm doing now with a Briggs 3hp that is still in progress.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44393

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
Thank's chainmaker,your bike's are outstanding and saw a picture of your panther motor bike with the whizzer motor happy in the frame thank's for your input in the morini not fitting and i have heard you needing to reshape i guess the bottom bar ,i had planned to do this to this panther i have done but when i saw how good of shape it was i couldnt cut a thing off it so i then seen FRED with his up coming of head's and that for the ht so i just went this way but for now cheers

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The bike looks great. The Panther frame is also my favorite. Unfortunately a Morini won't fit without frame mods. For 4 strokes a 99cc Honda clone will fit, a Whizzer 137cc will fit, and a 3 hp and maybe 3.5 hp Briggs will fit. I'm sure there a few more but I just listed what I was able to get into one on the upper 4 stroke displacement size. Here is the build I'm doing now with a Briggs 3hp that is still in progress.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44393
A belt drive Whizzer would be the cat's meow. I'll find out if the 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke will fit for sure next month sometime. I think it will, but until it's in the frame...
Take a look around at what you have available closer to hand as well. Something from say a 125cc light motorcycle might well fit. The old 100cc villiars midget will fit and is a cool looking engine, but not high revving. I'm pretty sure the new 100cc 2 speed Sachs 2 stroke will fit, too, and is made for light motorcycles. That's a heck of an engine... German engineering. They've been making the same basic engine since 1932. I have a 1934 on my Indian Hiawatha. A lot of British stuff got exported to Australia.
SB