GT2A-S 1st custom build

GoldenMotor.com

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Well I've been waiting to start this thread so here I go! I ordered a skyhawk frame tht I'm planning on putting a 50 cc HS 5g flying horse 4 stroke in her. I've been reading up on these bikes & I think I got everything tht I need or at least ordered less tires rims sprocket n brakes. I would like to use Jakes disc brake adapter (ordered) along with uschoppers 2.5 rims n freewheel hub. Suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Thanks nunya! Well my came last night and all I can say is that I was excited as a kid @ Christmas. Still waiting on my monarch ll forks.Talked to Jake from jakebikes.com to pick his brain on which tires n rim setup to use.here's a test mock up tell me what you think
Thanks..........
.spr.

Attachments

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
:rolleyes:The grips n throttle are kind of cheesy and the hd bottom bracket plate will have to be grinded a touch to accept three downtube in the rear. Still a lot of work to do.I wish I had a genie in a bottle to clean my garage.Won't be using the sprocket they sent n didn't like the look of it anyway, Kings will be my goal for that along with the rear disc bracket setup from Jake.

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Yea Bill he was about as excited as I was so I made him the official bike stand for the evening :D received my forks but still waiting on the rims, hub, n rear caliper adapter.I'm praying that I have enough room to clear the chain!

Attachments

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Received my fat rims n hubs now it's time for them to be painted n laced with 12g spokes.I for in a rush n ordered Pat's sprocket without taking into consideration that this won't work with the setup I'm trying to run with the rear disc brakes. I'm still in the learning process n that beautiful sprocket will be used in the near future. Here is a mock up still haven't decided on a seat n handlebars but those ones from Pat would surely give it character.

Attachments

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
thanks allot kevy I'm trying to make sure I cover all my basic stuff& reading up on all the things that this great forum provides

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Ok guys I'm back. I stopped working on this bike last year do to a few family issues & the fact that this thing started to get a little bit costly being that the fact that I'm past the point of no return as far as building the bike. I've been working on this build for the last week or so finishing up the brackets for my engine mount (witch I fabricated myself). I also did something that most guys wouldn't have done with frame (cut & grind) on it. I got rid of those ugly pegs that where there for the set up of linear brakes. I thought that they might be a interference with the 2& a half inch rims that I got from uscycles. I also removed the box air filter off of my HF 49cc 4stroke for clearance reasons & for the fact that it's just plain ugly. Could someone who's worked with this engine before give me some insight on what carb & air filter (upgraded) if anythat I could use to get the best out of my engine. Trying to get this thing powder coated within the next week or so, so that I can finally lace these bad arse rims. Will post pics later. scratg

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
ART! Good to have you back! I've had good luck with the mid size Klein carb AGK sells. http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...ode=A&Product_Code=2707&Category_Code=MTRBK49 but to use it ya have to buy the linkage also: http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...ode=A&Product_Code=1746&Category_Code=MTRBK49 with this combo the K&N style filter from SBP works well but you have to modify the adapter plate. ( dremel ) Some talk here latley about the new adapter manifolds from Norm at Venice bikes to run an NT carb. Though, I have NO expierence with this. http://venicemotorbikes.com/shop/?product=49cc-4-stroke-intake-manifold-nt-carb-combo

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ok guys I'm back. I stopped working on this bike last year do to a few family issues & the fact that this thing started to get a little bit costly being that the fact that I'm past the point of no return as far as building the bike.
Ya, they can get costly when you start with a bare frame.
I've been working on this build for the last week or so finishing up the brackets for my engine mount (witch I fabricated myself).
Had to do that myself too.
I also did something that most guys wouldn't have done with frame (cut & grind) on it. I got rid of those ugly pegs that where there for the set up of linear brakes. I thought that they might be a interference with the 2& a half inch rims that I got from uscycles.
Ouch.
Removing brake bosses is usually a very silly thing to do.
What are you going to do for a rear brake?

I also removed the box air filter off of my HF 49cc 4stroke for clearance reasons & for the fact that it's just plain ugly. Could someone who's worked with this engine before give me some insight on what carb & air filter (upgraded) if anythat I could use to get the best out of my engine. Trying to get this thing powder coated within the next week or so, so that I can finally lace these bad arse rims. Will post pics later. scratg
If you get your base plate low enough that air cleaner works, not sure about other options but this is how 4-stroke 49cc HS 142F with 4G belt transfer case jackshafted to a 3-speed Nexus came out.

That was a pleasure to ride ;-}

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
Thanks KCvale for those tips. The cutting & grossing of those brackets went very well check out my pics. I'm planning on using the system that Jake uses on his GT frames that allows him to use the disc brake. & thank u also velodrome agk had all that I need

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks KCvale for those tips. The cutting & grossing of those brackets went very well check out my pics. I'm planning on using the system that Jake uses on his GT frames that allows him to use the disc brake. & thank u also velodrome agk had all that I need
Disc brakes sound great and you welcome for the tips.

I look forward to seeing what you do with your build ;-}

ArtPayne

Apr 14, 2012
Illinois
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Ok gents I've got my frame primed, forks painted & 2nd color test coated. Tell me what you think. Cobalt metallic blue & a mocha textured brown that I plan on clear coating till I find that right shine. My wife says it's ugly work the brown & that I should have went with burnt orange n blue but she ain't the one riding it so it's my choice in the end. Comments are welcome. Thanks. I will upload these pics later today Web not fluent right now

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
i was working on the same build last year and got derailed. was just looking on uschoppers myself before i came here to get the ball rolling again but im tore between two builds. the trike which i have wheels and rolling frame but need to figure gearing to make a sachs 4stroke off an old arctic cat mini bike wit a 2 gear auto tranny of my in frame tank.

was trying to add a pic but its to big lol

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey Art,
Your bike is looking good. Looking forward to seeing it finished. I've built 2 of the GT2 frames, an "A" & "S". I put 66cc china girls in mine. I also went way over budget on both. I have a HF 79cc and HF 99cc for my next builds. I ground off the rear brakes studs too. Yes they did interferer with my 2.5" Hook Warm tires. I learned a lot about these bikes in the process. For instance the drop outs are very soft and will easily spread open when the axel nut is tightened. I solved the problem by replacing the rear 145mm axel with a 180mm so I didn't have to squeeze the frame together to install the rear wheel. Then I made a set of steel axel spacers and replaced the soft washers with hardened steel machine washers. Everything slips together perfectly, my drop outs don't spend open and the rear wheel doesn't move. Perfect.
You can check out the bike's at
http://www.bikebobber.com
I specialize in custom bike parts so if you need anything don't be shy.

highstrung74

Nov 4, 2014
illinois
i agree when starting with a bare frame it can get costly....remember you get what you pay for....im doing a similar build and all i can say is in the end i will end up with a very nice build...and the only one of its kind around chicagoland.....i cant say enuff about the monark fork and gt2 frame...they are spot on and work very very well together....im looking forward to seeing this complete.i will be following this build.im hoping mine will be complete by spring (2 months) as im in no hurry to complete it.
i sent my bare frame to jethot in oklahoma to be ceramic coated as opposed to powder coating.they do have color avaible and the coating is lifetime gaurnteed.i post pics sum time soon.very nice bike you got there tho..keep up the good work...
Dallas Dean