My New custom build, having issues

GoldenMotor.com

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Ended up scraping my other chopper build and just custom painted and built an old mountain bike -- attached a picture

Unfortunately I went out last night to take it for its first ride - and the engine wont start - im pretty sure ive tried every wire combination between the cdi/ kill switch and motor - but it doesn't leave many options. Ive also tried replacing the spark plug. Still no luck though

Hopefully you have some ideas?

Thanks!

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Yeah there wasn't clearance for the carburetor to go in straight directly behind the engine - so ended up using an elbow. No it doesn't sound like its starting up at all.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Are you getting spark? Remove the spark plug. Put it back into the boot. Then hold the threads againts an unpainted part of the cylinder head. Make sure that you can see where the spark would be. Lastly, with the clutch engaged, turn the motor over quickly with the pedal. You should be able to make a spark. If you have spark, good. If you don't something is amiss there. Either the Magneto, the wires, the CDI, the plug boot, or the plug itself.

The kill switch wires can be left unplugged. Wiring should be blue/blue, and black/black. Any other combination could hurt the CDI. Also, don't send power to the CDI without the spark plug at least grounded. The crimp connections on my kit were messed up. I had to pinch the contacts a bit to get a good connection.

Dont' smack me for asking, but... Did you put gas in it? Is the fuel petcock open?

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Firstly, yes there is gas in it - and I have pumped the "tickler" or fuel primer and the gas has reached the carb. I know the boot is making contact with the tip of the spark plug (it clicked into place). Watched a few building a motorized bicycle vids on youtube - and it looks like all my wiring and steps are correct...

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
alright so the bike is starting now - but wont run for more than 30 seconds before the engine cuts out. Is this a fuel issue? (theres air bubbles in the fuel line that won't seem to come out despite pumping the fuel primer) Do you think that's the issue?

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
If it's cold out, you might need to keep the engine running by blipping the trottle. You could maybe even tighten the idle speed screw a turn. That will help it stay running.

Good job getting this far!! It's a good feeling when the engine starts the first time.

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Yeah been starting it about 3 quarters of the way up (if not all the way) and then dropping it down after a few seconds of the engine engaging.

So now ive run into another issue - while running the bike this morning - the chain exploded into 3 parts ruining my paint job in the process (does that mean there was too much tension on it?)

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
if it was a 410 chain it was going to happen eventually mine lasted a whole 5 minutes 2.5 starts before loosing the side off 3 links get a 415, a #41 or a KMC HD 410 chain and you will be good you need 1/2 a inch or so if play in the chain

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah been starting it about 3 quarters of the way up (if not all the way) and then dropping it down after a few seconds of the engine engaging.

So now ive run into another issue - while running the bike this morning - the chain exploded into 3 parts ruining my paint job in the process (does that mean there was too much tension on it?)
These cheap junk chinese chains will fail often and regularly. Replace it asap. I used regular 420 roller chain but did have to clearance the case to run it. Lots of people here seem to like the HD 415 bmx chain.

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Do bike shops carry these chains, or do you guys order them online from somewhere particular?

Air bubbles in the fuel line - is that to be expected? or is that why the engine keeps turning off?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the air in the fuel line will go away if you let the line fill up by leaving the petcock open for a hour or two (only do this if your carb dosent leak )

the HD chain you can get one from a bike shop look for single speed HD BMX chain KMC is a great one

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just my experience here. I have never broken a stock chain and actually look for old ones for new builds as they are already worn in. (stretched) If you have to push/pull up hard to get it to move up and down about 3/4 of an inch, it is too tight.

Choking, I let the engine warm up completely before taking it off. I have often forgot and wondered why the bike had so little power before realizing. Won't hurt anything to leave it choked for a few minutes. Each engine I have had, had their own time to warm up and also depends on weather.

Air bubbles, be sure the engine is properly secured and not race the engine with no load on her.

Chopperz

Jul 6, 2012
Victoria, BC
Just my experience here. I have never broken a stock chain and actually look for old ones for new builds as they are already worn in. (stretched) If you have to push/pull up hard to get it to move up and down about 3/4 of an inch, it is too tight.

Re-attached the chain (had 2 stock ones) -- snapped again in literally 30 seconds

1st break:

2nd break:

:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Did you have the retainer clip facing the right way? As an arrow, points in the direction of chain travel.

Not sure how many 2 strokes I have built but have yet to do that much less 2ce. Something is wrong.