New Engine running - no power

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Both heads are origented plug pointed back but the SkyHawk has another combution champer. It seems smaller but on the other hand my old head didnt head the "Ring" around it where it lies on the gasket to the cylinder. I think they took that off for higher compression. But I will go out now and test it again with the old head.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Alright. Its louder now, compression is a little higher but still nowhere near to how my old non SkyHawk was. BUT I cant seem to get the throttle up. Its like stuck as if it was warm on choke. IT doenst run smooth and would just turn off and I am getting no idle at all.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
OK I tested a few things. Its slightly better with the old head but still no power, sound, compression. The carb. problem was the spark plug. The one they sent me was crap. I used my old NKG and it ran smooth. Smooth but no power. Before with my old engine when I pushed it a little to get some speed (without paddling) it turned maybe 2-3 times in a couple feet of distance and it was hard to turn it on unless I have more speed or tried it couple times. Now, when I do the same the engine turns like it doesnt have a spark pulg in. Way too easy. So I am assuming its something in the cylinder itself.

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
OK. I got the front of the bike up so the piston is horizontal, sprayed in WD40 and it immediately ran down the cylinder. Im going to call GasBike to see if they can send me another head kit.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I just took off the cylinder and it looks to me by seeing the oil film at one place in the cylinder that one of the piston rings didnt seal. I dont know if it helps but I turned the piston rings 180 degr. to the other side (they are very loose) and see if something changes. Otherwise I will be trying to get a new head kit but they told me I have to call Monday for techn. support. Bah

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I bet but I will stalk their asses until they will do something. When I bought a Centr. Clutch and it broke in a million pieces after a week they told me to send it back for refund but it wasnt really worth it due the shipping.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Sounds like an improperly seated ring was the problem. As long as the ring didnt scratch the cylinder wall, it should be fine. Let us know how it works out for you.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
OK well I just came back from another test drive. It is much better now but I would still say the compression level is nowhere near of my old engine. But its better, sounds louder more powerful than before and accelerate better. I will let it cool down now again and put up the old head one last time. I still want to change the top end but lets see how it is driving it a while on the weekend. I have to wait for monday anyways to call them again.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I still think it need to be replaced but I will go out now and run it little more on the way to buy better oil and maybe a fresh cold coconut at the beach :) I just finished installing the old head which I think have higher compression. Thanks everybody for the help. I love the people in this forum. Always interesting and something new to learn.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hello again :) I drove it a while and it got more power but not as it was with the old engine (still). But I think one of the reasons is the ignition timing. It seems to be off. Thats just how it feels because even if Im standing and I try to rev up with clutched pulled there is a lag first and nothing really happens. With full throttle its a little better while driving. But everything seems really slow, even how the engine rev up. In this case thats a carb problem and not the compression and I wonder how I can fix that. The only thing I dont know so well to deal with is he carb yet. Is there a way to adjust the ignition timing with the magneto or is it even possible at all?