My new bad*** lamp

GoldenMotor.com

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Like most things I build, they never really get thrown away, merely re-purposed.

I had actually been planning on turning the motorbike engine into a lamp once I wore the little engine out, unfortunately that day came a little too quickly...but I ran to Goodwill and got a cheapo matching lamp for $3.99 and ripped it apart. I also ripped the engine apart, cleaned it, drilled a hole just above the magneto shaft, then threaded the lamp fixture to the sparkplug hole. It wasn't perfect but I used a little piece of plastic to fill the gap to make it snug enough to hold the lamp in place. I reassembled the jug and put the magneto and drive sprocket covers back on, used my over priced $15 engine mounting hardware up front and relocated the acorn nuts from the intake manifold to the back studs to give them a rounded point.

I haven't spliced the cable back together but aside from that it works.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Should have made a place for a pole at the bottom, then set it next to your sofa. Your wife will love it and love you for making it for her. She'll show all her friends. :)

Tom

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Whenever I get a welder I plan to do make a tall pipe go up with a 90 degree fork. Then I'll bolt the engine up just like it should. This is just for now while I work on it.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
That would be great on the work bench in the garage!
You should start buying peoples broken engines and reselling them as art lamps for the cost of a new kit! lol

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Next time I do it I'll just use the jug and a straight head mounted on a cross section of a car tire.

The problem is my engine was a slant head so I had to use something that was either at an angle or flexible.

It would only cost me around $50+ shipping to build a top end lamp with a new jug and straight head. If I did a bunch of them I could probably get a discount with a larger order. I've got a buddy with a man cave that might want something like this.

This one does have a price or trade value that just happens to be a new motor ;)