Got smoked by a car

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Damn, that sucks.

Especially the didn't stop part. Anybody pulling that crap ought to be taking the bus for life.

Good lookin dog ya got there!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
glad you are ok. what a crappy way to start the day. i am with mike about the driver. couldn't even check if you were ok. sad

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Dang,

that early in the morning on a Sunday! I thought most of the drunks weren't on the road till later:) I guess it ain't drunks only that you've got watch out for.

Texters will also get you. Be on the lookout when riding into the Sun. Often drivers are blinded by the morning Sun.

DMV won't take a persons license until they are almost blind. I have a neighbor that has been rear ended twice this past year because he stops at any markings painted on the road thinking they are stop markings. He also slows down when he sees a small tree, thinking its a person on the side of the road. His steering wheel goes back and forth, as he uses divider markers to stay and the road. I don't drive with him anymore - too dangerous. Thankfully, he has to go into the DMV this September for a vision test.

I usually ride my road bicycle during the week between the hours of 8 am and 2 pm since most people are already at work by 8 am and the ones late to work have already left. By 2 pm, most aren't in a hurry to get back to work if they drive a company vehicle or haven't hit the bars yet.

Sorry about the bike, bumps, bruises and cuts, but at least your're still alive and don't have any serious injuries.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
sorry to hear you got hit.
thats one of my biggest fears,i live 5 miles from town so the posted speeds are 100 kph and 70 kph on the two roads i travel.
my other route is all gravel,its a pain to drive,especially after rain.
i need to find my vest,and fix my mirror that wont stay tight.

get well soon,
be happy its not worse.

Frank.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was out riding this morning and got hit by a car. 35MPH road, driver was likely going faster than that, I saw nothing. One minute I was cruising at 25, next minute I was flying into a ditch. I filed a police report, but all I saw was a tan/off-white car. Driver didn't stop.
Good to hear that you are OK!
How does a car driver hit a bicycle on a straight road???
Texting?
Phoning?
Drunk?
Blind?
Was aiming for you?

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
good to hear you didn't get badly injured :)
I hope the pinhead that hit you has a big ol' 'karma sux' thing happen to them
I am so paranoid about something like this when I am doing the "Grampa's Taxi" thing, I try to stick to sidestreets while pulling them

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Good to hear you came out of it well! Drivers and boos drinking is not the only thing on the road thee days. Prescription drugs illegally obtained/abused is common now more I think then a lot of folks realize? The driver was prolly intoxicated and ran from the seen I would suspect?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Good to hear your OK.

I often think that one of the car cameras that record front and back as well as both sides would be a good idea for a bike.
Imagine the look on some jerks face when the cops show up at thier door after they think they got away with hitting you and running.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Caleb,
Man, glad to hear the injuries were no more serious than they were. Really too bad you couldn't have gotten a plate number. I think hit and run in any state is a felony.

We recently had a fatal hit and run here in Denver. The ba$tard who hit the guy not only left the scene but also went back and stole the guy's bike. They found the car with the bike still in it but as of today they still had not located the driver.

Good luck with your recovery and I hope we hear you're back on the road soon.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
First of all: I am super glad you're doing relatively okay.

But, secondly, why am I hearing more and more about people not stopping after hitting someone on two wheels? I just got done commenting on another member's post about his wreck where the offender didn't stop! I've been seeing such things right here in Indy where, after hitting a guy on a scooter, moped, or even motorcycle, the driver just continues on like nothing happened! By the letter of the law in most states, the elements present take this beyond "Failure to Stop at Scene of Accident" and right into "Felony Hit and Run". These drivers are willfully becoming criminals.
Are there really getting to be more of these incidents? If so, could it be because police, in general, aren't doing enough to follow up, or courts to enforce with harsher punishments? I'd love to know why drivers are running away more than they used to.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am also very glad to hear that you are doing well, all things considered!
There seems to be a recent bought of folks being hit by cars.
I am sorry to hear that you are now added to that list.
Crashing sucks, getting ran over is far worse!

I do plan on getting a camera, a Contour Roam to be exact.
I plan on using it whenever I am traveling on any public road. Car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, whatever, for the exact reason of this here thread.

I sincerely hope that you find the bastard that hit you!

May you heal quickly, and pain free!

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Aleman,
After looking at those pics I told buzzard you need that hand xrayed...looks like at least one broken finger and strain across the back of your hand to me. We hope it isn't as bad as it looks there. buzzards accident was a single bike...we wish you could have at least gotten the plate number, but that's kind of hard while you're flying in the air.
It's the season for these type of accidents. I'm sure he was just 'late for Church' and didn't want to take the time to see if he'd hurt you.
Get yourself checked out and taken care of, don't risk any permanent damage to your hand. buzzard didn't think he was hurt either till I made him go to the ER. If we lived closer I'd have probably kicked your butt to the ER and not taken no for an answer!
Hope you heal fast and don't have any lasting injuries.
buzzard
& LadyG

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Man that's a bummer. I can't believe they didn't stop to help you. Tell the police to be looking for a car with a bicycle mirror sticking out of the front bumper.

I hope you'll be feeling better fast, and I hope your bike is feeling better fast too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Got to thinking? Some roads I will not drive slow on as I get the feeling I will be run over. Usually these routes are totally avoided. Shoot shrug I cannot always avoid them tho.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I also live a good ways from civilization and all the roads out side my neighborhood till you get to town are 60mph + and lots of curves. I ride the shoulder as its nice and wide but I notice while I drive people love to get their swerve on and they have a hard time driving and not texting at the same time. This terrifies me but I wear my safety vest and a full face street bike helmet for that just in case moment that's bound to happen. Is hella sorry that the driver didn't stop. Good to see your ok \m/

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think this might have been a premeditated attack. El Presidente may have been targeted by the 30 MPH club, looking to discredit our organization, and further their own recruitment.

That's probably what happened.

.duh.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Its always a conspiracy. Dang those early morning Teletubby years! I curse those buggers.. shakes fist!