Pull start...best?

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've been complementing on a pull start for a Chinese HT. I have noticed a few with varying prices. Other then cost, what have you found to be satisfactory, if any. I'm sure that the pull chord is junk and changing out won't be a factor.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
The heavy duty one is better made than the earlier version that's out there. The heavy duty one has metal that holds the cable and not plastic, which will fail, like mine did. It does have a metal cable instead of the regular pull cord, but that can be switched out if you want.

I think BGF sells these for about $25 or so.......just look for the one that's labeled heavy duty. I'll always have a pull start.....you can't beat 'em.

dnut

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Yeh,

I was thinking about installing one and getting Big Blue back on the road.
I would say all metal and replace the cord.

Ron, I don't know the Ebay seller you linked to, but they've gotten a lot of negative feedbacks in the past year. Some issues with repainted China Girls.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yeh,

I was thinking about installing one and getting Big Blue back on the road.
I would say all metal and replace the cord.

Ron, I don't know the Ebay seller you linked to, but they've gotten a lot of negative feedbacks in the past year. Some issues with repainted China Girls.

Chris
I have bought from Rose before. As far as MY dealings with her, my experience was good. In fact I bought my last BLACK engine from her, and had no problem. Bad thing about feedback, you need to look at it carefully. Some buyers try to pull the wool over a sellers eyes, I read one about the seller didn't honor FREE SHIPPING, well they have Free SHIPPING in the 48...he was from HI. Didn't read and left a NEGATIVE. I know that some are the fault of the seller. Over all 99.1
Now for BGF/luckyearlybird that is another story. 98.5 and I won't buy from them.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
That's the heavy duty one! I've only had it in use for about a year, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.
If you get a chance would you please measure the thickness for me, from the case outboard? Want to see if I have clearance or have to bend the peddle cranks, and how much. Thanks

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Hey Ron,

thanks for the honest opinion on the Ebay seller. I know what you mean by trying to pull wool over the sellers eyes. I had a 1st time buyer try to tell me she never received the shipment, but the shipment was tracked and she signed for it - Doh

Chris

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
If you get a chance would you please measure the thickness for me, from the case outboard? Want to see if I have clearance or have to bend the peddle cranks, and how much. Thanks
Ohhh, it must stick out about 1 1/2" to 2". If I can get into the shed (where my bike is) I'll measure it. At the same time I did have to bend my cranks out to compensate.

I'll check that out tomorrow for a more accurate figure on that.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hey Ron,

thanks for the honest opinion on the Ebay seller. I know what you mean by trying to pull wool over the sellers eyes. I had a 1st time buyer try to tell me she never received the shipment, but the shipment was tracked and she signed for it - Doh

Chris
I have had the same problem with a member on the forum (1 out of 100's). Now that is why I'm not responsible once I mail the item, if you don't pay for conformation ($1.00) or insurance ($2.00). Oh and I sent him a replacement, at no cost. I have all receipts from the USPO and they have the Zip code the item was sent to.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
I got one of the HD pull starters, from BGF $25. shipped, looks like a real good part. Ordered it on Monday was here on Thursday! Good service. Problem with a lot of these vendors, is that they are out of stock of so many things. So thats my only dealings with BGF so far.