hi all got my 1st f80 motor kit need some tips for a newbi- please-

GoldenMotor.com

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
hi all,.... like i said above i got my first f80 motor kit off ebay not sure if one of the better ones or not aparently after reading a bit about them there is a quality diference between some kits but hopefully i hope i got one of the better ones.... instalation was pretty easy even though the thing dosent come with instalation instructions... but im pretty machanicly minded and i endid up getting it all on and operational in around 3 hours, a coulpe of hours rideing to fine tune... the chain came off a coulple of times the first few goes but i got that sorted but its stil a bit noisey even when peddling while engine not running, has anyone got some tips for a first timer to line these sprockets up so they run nice and smooth ???? and whats the the best way to run these motors in when advertised they state there top is after the motor has been run in?? they recon it about 500k or around ten litters of juice through it be for its run in but wile im running it in should i treat it like a car and just ride it the way i normaly would so it wears in to my style of rideing or should i just be carefull not rev its rings out any advice or imfo is so greatly apreciated guys like i said im newbi to these f80s heres some pics of the build any way i recon it looks great and it pretty surprizing how well it goes but decals not available in kit there on ebay to

.wee.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
To line up the sprockets you might want to turn the rear sprocket one way or the other. You might also want to put the chain tensioner/chain idler pulley in a vice and twist it a bit so the chain goes straight on it. You want to have about a half inch of slack in the chain. Some people use no tensioner at all too. As far as the chain master link goes, forum members gave advice as to put the master link clip towards the wheel and in the direction in which it will not snap off if the chain link was to hit something on it's course. You might want to tilt the engine a bit too. Good luck!

Also, you might want to buy a replacement chain and a chain breaker tool since these #415 chains are harder to find than other sizes. The chain breaker tool allows you to go without any master links which is more reliable.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Also, as far as breaking in goes, there is no consensus on just how to break the engines in. I say : Go with a 20:1 to 25:1 oil mix and use it like you would do in a normal situation just don't WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it for more than say.. 5 seconds.

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
ok guys so far after rideing it for a week or so here is what i have found the motor has so far been pretty dependable apart from a few wireing isues with the crappy wire conections on the coil, i had to cut and solder them to make a better contact , the chain seems to bounce around a bit at higher speeds, im haveing a bit of trouble geting it to run smooth above 35kmh, and when i WOT wide open throtle it for a little bit it seems to be leaning out a bit and hits a flat spot at id say above 4500rpm , and at 4000rpm and above its either the exuast flow in the pipe suplied with the kit is going a bit wacky like im looseing or have to much backpresure (ZORST) i should say if your keen 2 stroker like me..... and the the cylinder fins or pipe is resonating makeing a horible noise, i have tried adding bits of rubber between the fins but dident seem to help much , but the main problem is at full speed and revs , the carby has no mixture screws so i asume the fuel air mix is set and not ajustable or its the pipe witch is not tuned to the engine corectly you can read more about this in greyham bell performance two stroke tuneing
A Graham Bell - Two Stroke Performance Tuning.pdf
eventualy i would like to add a high compreshion slant head and maybe upgrade the carbi to the speed carb or just put a mukini on it,, but the pipe does mater a fair bit it needs an expanshion chaimber,,
but the actual kit does have a fair bit of power in higher rev range i only have it on 26 inch mountain bike and it hits 35-40kmh on the strait but it seems to prefure the beech walking trails on the dirt where your constantly accelarating up and down and around small bends under 25 kmh its almost like the clucth has to heat up a fair bit to get some good friction and i can definatly see it goin on a 28 inch wheel for a bit more gearing or maybe dropping the rear sproket down to a 40 or a 36 tooth for highway use
but apart from all that what do you guys recon about the slant heads and speed carbs they sell on the performance kits and do you recon they might help my props and do you know of anyone who sell expanshion chaimber for these kits that wont get in the way of the peddals

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
Hi steptoe
I have an f80 on one of my bikes, it been a great motor and the speed carb suits them very well. For a small amount of money you could get a Poch head way better than a slant head performance wise, imo and has much better cooling. The only problem is you will need to redrill the holes on the poch its well worth the trouble.hope this helps.

[

F80 Poch head ,modded speed carb + much more internal work

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
hey man that head looks different.. definatly has better cooling by looking at it, and that expanshion chaimber.. is that one of the ones similer or the same to the ebay ones they sell for 50cc motors ??? it looks like it if so i might try one and see how we go as for major head mods and all that stuff i might stick to stock stuff but maybe mill the head down a bit and definatly a carb,, i dont wana go to crazy as this thing is mainly just for fun and turning heads! most people like it and theres nothing better than screeming past a cyclist in his lycra on a sunday morn without pedling as i mentioned above i recon these things need an extra gear i found they make shift kits for these now these definatly sound like the go .. here they are here Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle but are there any available in australia

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
Hi steptop
There is a guy in Australia making these pipes very nice bloke, they give a great bottom end .I agree with the Sunday bike racers in there lycra I have to admit to setting my alarm Sundays for doing just that passing 20 or 30 riders in one over take, blows them away, great fun, as there's not a lot of motorized bike around here so it good shock value.
Stay safe.

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
yeh its cool hey here in melbourn there aint to many of these around around yet so even drivers sometimes go "what the hey" i seen the fuzz a few time lucky be fore they saw me i just cut the motor and pedled as fast as i could they must of thought geez that bloke's got some good legs :)