Surging

GoldenMotor.com

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
So I am riding my new motor bicycle with my china girl and I have a few hours of riding it.
I finished my sons bike last weekend.

So we are riding together and I know I shouldnt do it but he wanted to run all out. We both opened up the throttle and I came to full speed and all of the sudden I feel it slow a bit and then pick back up, then it slowed a bit again and picked back up.

I messed with the choke but it didnt help.

Is there anything I could adjust to stop the slowing and speeding up?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start checking for an air (vacuum) leak around the intake manifold/carburetor area. A higher than normal idle speed is also another symptom of the engine sucking air in where it shouldn't. How's your idle speed?

You didn't say how much fuel you've burned or your gasoline to oil mix ratio. We suggest starting with a 24:1 mix then moving down to a 32:1 after a couple of gallons. The instructions that come with most kits will tell you to run a 16:1 mix. That's too much oil.
The engines will run smoother and produce more power as they accrue miles.
Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
Start checking for an air (vacuum) leak around the intake manifold/carburetor area.
I know I did have a vacuum leak, I fought with that for a while yesterday. I think I will get an O ring for the carb to make sure there is no leak there.

A higher than normal idle speed is also another symptom of the engine sucking air in where it shouldn't. How's your idle speed?
I did adjust the idle speed up so the engine wouldnt die when I pulled the clutch and stop the pike. I didnt rev it, just sort of sped it up enough to keep it running with the clutch pulled.

You didn't say how much fuel you've burned or your gasoline to oil mix ratio. We suggest starting with a 24:1 mix then moving down to a 32:1 after a couple of gallons. The instructions that come with most kits will tell you to run a 16:1 mix. That's too much oil.
The engines will run smoother and produce more power as they accrue miles.
Good luck, ride safe.
Tom
I am running 16 to 1 right now and have about 3/4 of a tank Ive gone through so far.
I'll thin out the oil and gas mix.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let us know how it goes. As I said above you have to give these little engines a chance to get broken in before they'll perform as they were designed. I think you'll be surprised at how much better it will run for you after a few tanks of fuel.
Good luck.

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
Let us know how it goes. As I said above you have to give these little engines a chance to get broken in before they'll perform as they were designed. I think you'll be surprised at how much better it will run for you after a few tanks of fuel.
Good luck.
I am having so much fun with this thing, I cant wait to take it to work!!!! It will be fun riding downtown!!!