Where to use red loctite?

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Hey guys,

So, in preparation for motor prep (ha!), I've bought everything I think I'll need, including a tube of blue and red loctite. Question: where should I be applying the red loctite?

Cheers

P.S. I am ridiculously anxious to get underway with the last leg of this project. Everything is waiting for me at home and my sprocket adapter with custom sprocket is currently being processed by Pat (sportscarpat). All I need now is a couple of days to properly get everything mechanical assembled and running, and to get my permit from the DMV. Gah! This thing should run pretty nicely when it's all said and done, with huge credit to everyone here on this forum.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Only two places on the China Girl that I can think of offhand where red loctite might be used.
On the NT carb, where the nut is for the choke lever, you can see that the bolt is peined so that it will not come out, red loctite could be used here to do the same thing.
On the engine part of the pull-start, the bolts holding the centrifugal tabs are also peined to prevent them from loosening, here red loctite would also be OK to use.
I say this because these two parts are purposely peined together to prevent them from coming apart under normal circumstances, and I doubt anyone would want to disassemble these parts for maintenance.

I once had a bike come in here that had the two jam nuts on the rear side-pull brake constantly loosen, even with blue loctite applied. A wee dab of red on it cured the problem forever.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should be applying the red Loctite nowhere. Red is for "I never want this to come apart ever." Blue is for "I want this to stay in, but one day I might want to take it apart."

Green is for "I want these two things to be one thing." Green has no place on two strokes either.
Listen to this man. He knows of what he speaks. Save the red loctite for some other project. It has no place on a motorized bicycle' especially steel to aluminum castings. Self locking nuts and/or lockwashers will serve you well. Double nutting is also an alternative.
Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I use red on upgraded engine studs, blue on stuff I don't trust high-grade (10.9 metric, Gr 8 SAE) lock washers for. High-grade lock washers and high-grade reg - not lock - nuts torqued usually do a proper job for me :D

Red is definitely for something you want permanent. I've seen it pull helicoils out lol

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the only thing on my bikes i use red loctite on is the bolts and nuts on my fenders, and that's only when i run out of nylock lock nuts. i'm talkin' bout the nuts on the underside of the fender/fender struts.

the only reason i use it there is that, for me, they rarely loosen up, and because of the tight tolerances of my fenders to the wheels, i would have to take the wheels off to tighten or replace them.

i've also been able to get them loose every time i've ever tried.

for every single engine bolt, from head bolts to exhaust bolts to mounting bolts, i use anti-sieze compound, and have never had a bolt loosen up once properly tightened.

i've also never broke a bolt off in an engine.

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
I knew I read somewhere that someone had used it/recommended it. It was probably for the replacement studs, like Aleman said. Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.