Clutch Stuck?

GoldenMotor.com

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Nut or no nut, the gear and shaft should turn as one assembly due to the Woodruff key.

Take the gear off and see if the Woodruff is there or not.
My bet is that it is not, or else sheared. Get that taken care of, then shim the shaft with a washer or two, thread on the nut tight and be done with it.
Thanks Rohmell...will look into this next...I take it with the nut off the gear should slide right off?

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Took the Nut off...nut looks stripped...Took Chain gear off. no woodruff key is seen...unless I'm looking in wrong place....However examination of the Inner Gear sleeve
and shaft shows narrow slots as though something should line them up and hold them...the slot on the shaft is rounded...Woodruff key goes into slots?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, a Woodruff key goes into the slots and locks the shaft and gear together, so that they both turn as one piece.

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Hi Rohmell...ok if this is the case..then that key is quite small. and I do not see it anywhere...Any idea where it could fall into? or where I can get another?
Thanks..for helping me people...I learned MORE this week than I would ever believe.
please keep it coming.

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Hi Rohmell....I went to Harbor freight and bought the 80 pc Woodruff Key assortment.
came home all excited figuring ahhh finally going to fix this thing....and Viola......
Not One single key would fit the damn thing. I had the size as far as length and possilbly height, but every singe one of them was too wide and would not fit into the slot. Also I went to Home depot for the nut....no go...even the largest bolt [metric 16.]
was wrong size...seems like every thing here is totally unorthodox sizes. Almost like the
chinese determined to make sure that there are no standard fixes...in hopes that you just go and buy another engine from them. Cant replace the nut [even went to 2 auto supply stores] no standard washer will fit over the shaft...This is REALLY ridiculous.
I have worked on Cars and Motorcycles for years...and never have I had this type of problems. BTW...we used to call woodruff keys, rocker keys because of the shape.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Auto stores suck to find nuts and bolts. They sell replacement car parts and any crossover is coincidental. Go to a Hardware Store like Ace, not Lowe's or Home Depot. You want to be able to touch what you want and don't need to buy 4 of something you only need 1 of. If you have to locate a nut and bolt specialty house. There are several here in Boise so I'm sure most city's of decent size would have one. I take my parts with me to insure the right fit if I can, having a HT motor on the counter is no big deal to most places, it breaks up a boring day :D

As far as the Woodruff keys go: get out your files and get busy. I have a Nickelson Bastard cut that would make short work of narrowing the key. They are made from mild steel so they do shear instead of busting chunks out of the keyed metal.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
As far as the Woodruff keys go: get out your files and get busy. I have a Nickelson Bastard cut that would make short work of narrowing the key. They are made from mild steel so they do shear instead of busting chunks out of the keyed metal.
Yes, just take a file to the key and thin it down enough so that it fits into the slot.