Do you think florida will get open carry?

GoldenMotor.com

eastwood

Jun 17, 2010
brooksville,fl
Hello,looks like florida might get open carry.theres a bill on the books this year to allow florida residents with a concealed permit to open carry their firearms if they choose.i dont think you should need a permit to use your second amendment right but thats another thread.

florida is one of seven states that dont allow open carry right now.

do you think florida will pass this and whats your opinion on open carry?
i dont think i would open carry,it totally gives away the element of surprise but the law would keep honest permit holders from getting in trouble from someone accidentally seeing their gun.
i have an appointment with the division of licensing in tampa march 25.i should have my concealed a couple weeks after.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I think permits are a good idea because that way it keeps felons from obtaining them or makes it harder for them to get one. Since the "Department of Corrections" doesn't really correct anybody's behavior all that often, convicted felons shouldn't be allowed an easy access to carry whether it's concealed or open. Permits may be a drag sometimes to get, but it's set up to keep the nuts from getting them.

That's my opinion anyway.

eastwood

Jun 17, 2010
brooksville,fl
its my opinion that only violent felonies should be grounds to take someones second amendment rights once someone serves their dept to society.there should at-least be a certain length of time given with out trouble that automatically gives them their rights back.

although the d.o.c doesnt change peoples behavior time and age can.

as far as permits go,i think you should only need one to conceal carry becuase thats what a bad guy does,they attempt to hide their weapon.
i also shouldnt have to pay 117 to the state to exercise my rights.

do you need a costly permit to exercise your right to speak.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Fla most likely will get open carry
I for one think it is a very bad idea to open carry, but like the OP said it takes away the misdemeanor charge if you accidentally flash

Eastwood
What is your appointment for, there is no meeting with division of licensing, and division of licensing does not issue concealed carry permits, to get your permit here

All that is necessary is for you to send in the paperwork and finger print card, after you have taken your class if needed

Hiker
Permits in no way prevent criminals from getting or carrying guns.
It only makes it harder for law abiding people to get and carry

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
its my opinion that only violent felonies should be grounds to take someones second amendment rights once someone serves their dept to society.there should at-least be a certain length of time given with out trouble that automatically gives them their rights back.

although the d.o.c doesnt change peoples behavior time and age can.

as far as permits go,i think you should only need one to conceal carry becuase thats what a bad guy does,they attempt to hide their weapon.
i also shouldnt have to pay 117 to the state to exercise my rights.

do you need a costly permit to exercise your right to speak.
^^^
Clint ,
First I am for carry ,next lol ,old people get onrery so age is touchy,and if you notice ,the only people the govt doesn't get money from for problem situations are criminals,so $117 from the criminals is out no self-respecting criminal is going pay that kind of money when it hasen't cost anything so far,all he gets is a slap on the rist and a few days paid vacation and perks when he gets out.
Permits are ok for conceal if they would do more to the criminal w/out one.
And some people w/felonies (govt is working for 100%)are just in trumped up red tape.
I think they are discusing having a permit for the right to free speach next month,and all of this falls into the catigory of payed protection money,and is leaning toward electronic chips like we do for dogs at the vet now, and you see in the movies.
ok thats depressing ,new topic,lol

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and BEAR arms shall not be infringed."

As the Supreme Court has ruled that the Second Amendment applies equally to the States as the Federal Government, just where can anyone find the latitude in the Amendment to require any form of license to BEAR a firearm. A firearm license is a TAX, if I don't pay the tax my Second Amendment rights will be "infringed", as I can no longer "BEAR ARMS". All the while, I've committed no crime.

In Alabama, I pay $7.50 for a carry permit, that would about cover the admin cost to maintain the systems records. That I'm willing to do but I still don't like it. The lack of a permit will never stop any felon from caring a pistol, since the possession of one by a felon will send them to jail anyway.

eastwood

Jun 17, 2010
brooksville,fl
Eastwood
What is your appointment for, there is no meeting with division of licensing, and division of licensing does not issue concealed carry permits, to get your permit here
i think its called the division of licensing.

they do every thing,finger printing and picture for free.
sheriffs office wants forty to finger print you.plus going right to the office makes it fast.i should have it early april.

my hunter saftey education course i took 10 year ago works for the saftey class.

ps....good to see you kerf!

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
i think its called the division of licensing.

they do every thing,finger printing and picture for free.
sheriffs office wants forty to finger print you.plus going right to the office makes it fast.i should have it early april.

my hunter saftey education course i took 10 year ago works for the saftey class.

ps....good to see you kerf!
Good to see you as well.

In Alabama, the issuing of carry permits is a function of the County Sheriff. While the TAX rate on a permit may vary county by county, all that's required is a background check, that eliminates you as a felon or someone that has been exempted by a judge from possessing a firearm. Criminals are finger printed, I'm not a criminal and I won't be finger printed. That's the reason I surrendered my FFL, when a unnamed former President instituted that policy.

I strongly believe that the Federal Government has already violated both the spirit and the word of the Second Amendment and will continue to do so. They do it not because of criminal behavior but because the Second Amendment is a threat to their power, just as the Framers intended it should be.

Criminals, by definition, violate the law. No law will ever stop criminals from having and carrying firearms.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
it's not a threat to power... it's a way to slow the flow of guns to criminals...
why can't it be both?

if civilians in libya were allowed to have guns before this uprising do you think thousands of civilians would have bee gunned down with out a proper way to defend themselves? i have a funny feeling they'd have shot right back at their attackers had they been armed themselves.

allowing civilians to have weapons just like our military allows us to revolt if our government tries to force us into doing something through violent means.

i am for requiring permits since if a gun was never sold, a gun can never be stolen/illegally sold, but theres more then 1 side to just about everything.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I don't have an issue with the carry permit as a aid to law enforcement, so long as the cost and criteria are not onerous. I do however, view fingerprinting as onerous. In many states, if they even allow carry, the process to obtain a permit is outside the scope of most of their citizens.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i don't think finger printing for the right to carry a gun is a big deal honestly, it's not exactly a toy obviously, its a lot of responsibility and if a crime is committed with it they need to be able to hold someone accountable.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I don't have an issue with the carry permit as a aid to law enforcement, so long as the cost and criteria are not onerous. I do however, view fingerprinting as onerous. In many states, if they even allow carry, the process to obtain a permit is outside the scope of most of their citizens.
I don't mind giving fingerprints to obtain a ccw... it makes sense and is totally justifiable.

what upset me was the fingerprints I had to give to obtain my massage liscense, my insurance liscense, and my vehicle dealer liscense.... all at a cost of $50 each.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Why do they need my prints? I've presented my birth certificate 44 years ago to get my drivers license, never lost it, they know who I am. If you can't prove who you are, should they issue a permit regardless of prints?

Why don't we just let them install one of those dog ID chips in our necks and be done with it. Maybe you would consider a tracking chip a better option?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Why do they need my prints? I've presented my birth certificate 44 years ago to get my drivers license, never lost it, they know who I am. If you can't prove who you are, should they issue a permit regardless of prints?
just because you've never been caught for a crime doesn't mean you've never committed one now does it?

i doubt if you leave a crime seen where you just used that gun you're going to leave behind your birth certificate.if for whatever reason a crime is committed with that gun i think they should be able to tell who was using it.

guns are not toys and they certainly shouldn't be treated like toys.

too me it's essentially the same reason drivers IDs have pictures on them, so they can identify who is actually driving.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
If you need a 'permit' to do something then it isn't a right. It's a privilege. The second amendment enumerates the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Therefore, no permit is required.

Some here think that it's a good idea to assist law enforcement by requiring civilians to have permits. The criminals will get their guns through private sales or steal them; they don't care about the law. Permits are used to keep track of the law abiding population that has guns. This is convenient because when the time comes the government will confiscate your firearms.

YouTube - NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina

YouTube - INNOCENTS BETRAYED -- Just say NO to gun control

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
just because you've never been caught for a crime doesn't mean you've never committed one now does it?

i doubt if you leave a crime seen where you just used that gun you're going to leave behind your birth certificate.if for whatever reason a crime is committed with that gun i think they should be able to tell who was using it.

guns are not toys and they certainly shouldn't be treated like toys.

too me it's essentially the same reason drivers IDs have pictures on them, so they can identify who is actually driving.
I have a drivers license with a picture, when I apply for a permit they can identify me just fine. Are you so naive as to believe that they would check your prints against every unsolved crime committed anywhere? That sounds like a Northeastern liberal pipe dream.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I have a drivers license with a picture, when I apply for a permit they can identify me just fine. Are you so naive as to believe that they would check your prints against every unsolved crime committed anywhere? That sounds like a Northeastern liberal pipe dream.
and if thats what i thought you would be spot on, unfortunately for you i was talking about potential future crimes, where the gun could be used. if we're going to let you have something that can very easily end someones life, why shouldn't we be able to figure out with ease who did it in the event you choose to use it for just that?

as far as me being liberal? i'm all for the death penalty for obscene crimes so figure that one out for me will ya? ;)

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
and if thats what i thought you would be spot on, unfortunately for you i was talking about potential future crimes, where the gun could be used. if we're going to let you have something that can very easily end someones life, why shouldn't we be able to figure out with ease who did it in the event you choose to use it for just that?

as far as me being liberal? i'm all for the death penalty for obscene crimes so figure that one out for me will ya? ;)
I don't figure people out, they are what they are.

I think that database has been tried in Canada and pretty much been a flop. Maryland is also trying it but it will also fail there. States that allow carry have declining crime rates compared to those that don't. The Castle Doctrine will have a similar effect. The good news is I have both and lov'n it.

Ah, the smell of burning double based ball powder carried on the cool morning breeze, life just don't get any better.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Only Alaska and Vermont have it right

There is no need for a permit of any kind

If you are a felon and are caught with a gun it has the same penalty as a felon being caught with a gun and no permit

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
i don't think finger printing for the right to carry a gun is a big deal honestly, it's not exactly a toy obviously, its a lot of responsibility and if a crime is committed with it they need to be able to hold someone accountable.
They do, the guy holding the gun, not the guy that held it last week before it was stolen from his home

Finger printing does nothing to hinder the criminal it only adds to the feds data base of fingerprints
The purpose of the whole permitting scheme is nothing more than back door registration and listing of firearm owners which is a direct violation of Florida law