Under Seat Gas Tank By Sportscarpat

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just about have my underseat gas tank design finalized. It mounts to one of my layback seat posts. All stainless steel tank construction tig welded together with a chrome moly seat post. End caps and bracket are CAD designed and laser cut. Cap is vented with a check valve and bung is stainless steel. I also have a few other mount systems I am working on.

Last edited:

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Looks great!

Prices?

You should make one that allows for normal seat mounting too.
(weld a post going vertical continuing the post that goes into the seat tube)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks great!

Prices?

You should make one that allows for normal seat mounting too.
(weld a post going vertical continuing the post that goes into the seat tube)
You can just slide the seat all the way forward to put it in it's normal position directly above the seat post frame tube, then trim the excess horizontal section of the seat post to tuck the tank back up against the seat. Trim the post with a tubing cutter. Lot's of ways to set it up!

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thats a beautiful solution! Would that work with a 13/16" seat post? I've been looking for both a lay back post, and a behind the seat tank.. so wow!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thats a beautiful solution! Would that work with a 13/16" seat post? I've been looking for both a lay back post, and a behind the seat tank.. so wow!
I can use a 13/16" post for the vertical section of the post and a 7/8" for the horizontal section, so to answer your question, yes it will work for a 13/16" seat post as long as I know ahead of time.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Cant wait til your site is up so we can see your complete offerings besides a teaser here and there.
Nice job on the tank!!
Cheers

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
What about going down hill? You could just use it as a beverage container and then keep your stock tank.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Couldn't find the post about Your seat-posts, but just got it today and what difference that 3 1/2 inches makes...( bet thats hardly been said !!!laff)
Cheers

Biker Dalton

Aug 29, 2010
Jersey Shore
its not worth the money...100 dollors + for someome making it for you...i have seen thoese tanks on two sites...for less then 1 gallon gas tank...waste of money....i just got done cutting down a 78 sporty HD gas tank and getting it power coated today to match the frame for less then $50....cant wait to take pic's of it.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Biker Dalton,
It may not be worth the money to you, but I have an idea how much work went into making it and how well it is finished off. Some will get sold for sure. I have an in frame tank Pat made for a Schwinn Panther, his first one and made of stainless steel. It was part of a fire I experienced a few months ago which melted engines, warped bike frames, wrecked tools. Other than the paint and decal, Pat's tank is as good as when he made it.
Not everyone wants or needs to carry a gallon of gas.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
CAD designed, laser cut stainless and formed parts, tig welded, $30 stainless bung with machined aluminum cap with check valve and a solid two hours labor. It's actually a good deal at $150.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
silverbear,
i bet its a nice tank.....but I dont think its worth 150 plus dollors for a tank....just my 2 cents.
What something is "worth" is a relative thing. Some people can afford it and some can't. Some, like you, are capable of fabricating your own, but others can't. Some people are making bikes on a very tight budget, don't have access to vintage bikes and buy a cheap department store bike using the cheapest kit they can find. If they can keep it safe and get around for under $300.00 (some do it for under $200.00) more power to them. There is a wide range here of tastes, budgets and intended number of builds. There are those who are looking toward one build and are putting everything into that one, trying to make it their dream bike... heavy duty wheels, a springer front end, a good engine and maybe a shift kit or transmission of some sort, the best brakes they can come up with and a gas tank that they really like which always looks good and never leaks. Something can have real value, but not be "worth" what it would cost you to have it. It may seem like I'm nitpicking or cheer-leading Pat, but my problem with your statement as you put it is that it implies a ripoff. I agree the tank is expensive, but it is not a ripoff. Welcome to the forum, by the way.
SB