First cruiser build, vintage Huffy Good Vibrations frame

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I thought I would share some pics of my first cruiser build. I started with a 1978 U.S.A. built steel Huffy Good Vibrations frame. I used an extremely thick 24" steel Mt bike style rigid fork that I welded on 1" longer dropouts with an additional 1/2" of rake. I used a 25 tooth front sprocket and was able to get the motor directly mounted all the way down in the frame with the no mount just the motor against the frame tube and a thick curved part of a muffler clamp to secure it. One of my local shops stocks the wheelsmith hand built rear wheels with 12 gauge spokes and a high stop coaster hub so I used one of those matched to a high flange hub 12 gauge spoke front wheel. Drag style handlebars, I built a near zero offset stem, some dice valve caps to top it off and it was a pretty clean build I believe.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That is nice and clean looking too... where are you getting the crank sets and small front sprockets from?
I've been thinking about doing away with the derailleur and gears on the mountain bike when I start putting it back together since all the pedals are going to be for is starting the bike. I ended up ordering a crank set for that bike off one just like it but I got 2 other mountain bikes waiting their turn and they both have the old style one piece cranks so they'll definitely be converted to single speed, if the sprockets are removable on the crank set I just ordered I'm going to only run the small one, but I'm looking for a good source for the one piece cranks and smaller front sprockets.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
We have a local bike Co Op called Bicas which is somewhat like a bike junk yard. The have crates full of cranks and sprockets, I could look for you next time I'm there if I know exactly what you need. I was going to run short 4 inch kid bike cranks but didn't end up doing that for now but I know they have them. Also I found these which I really like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMX-25T...ilable-/321220399022?var=&hash=item4aca3a4fae

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Dave. And yea but the problem with Bicas is if you have $40 in your pocket it's impossible not to leave without buying at least one bike and a car load of parts that I might need someday.