Why no 212cc builds?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm more into the 2.5hp class personally. 7hp is a beast lol.Nothing wrong with it at all, just a lot more power than I think I need. I'm building a 98cc flathead 4 stroke that I think I'll be very happy with.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Been looking around on the site for a while and haven't spotted a complete 212cc build, i mean you would almost expect one on a stingray for a cruiser, why don't people put these engines on i mean they are what , 120 bucks at harbor frieght? seems like a steal to me so whats the hold up? Don't they push you at over 50 mph?
The main reason is, in most states it would be illegal to ride on the street as a motor bicycle.

deonracin

Mar 31, 2014
miami
Iam currently trying to put my 212 on a beach cruiser. i have looked for a motor mount that would work with the bike and i have not found one. So iam going to have to weld one and fab the rest of it. One thing im going to need help with is a jackshaft. Can anyone tell me where i can buy one? i currently have a 3/4 clutch and a 420 chain. any ideas and pointers will be helpful thank you.

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
My HF 212cc hits 9,600rpm......any questions? It also has over 20hp!
yeah I have a motor like that on my mini bike alky fed ,and I couldn't imagine putting that on a bicycle lol
the little 50cc motor does just fine ,little slow on take off ,would be cool to put an electric motor on it just to get it out better ,but once its out that little motor does fine ,they are cool cruising machines for sure! nice and quiet so the neighbors don't complain ,and with that ezm kit you can pedal with no problems at all ..
putting that 212 motor on I would have a white knuckle ride for sure Lol
and I would need to add a extra seat for the grim reaper laff

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I'm planning out several 212cc predator builds, but instead of investing in strong frames which are very hard to find, I will be reinforcing the mounting areas and the stays. Every bike will have a jackshaft, and will be registered and street legal. All will have governor removed, and the rear wheel on all will be slightly larger with more aggressive tread. All will have mirrors, underglow fitting the color scheme of the bike, and daytime running lights. All will cost a total of around 3000, plus insurance, registration, and pre-purchase inspections.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
not gonna work. you will end up losing the money you tried to safe in fixing the frames when it breaks every week from the vibrations. that engine isnt good for motorized bikes. too much vibration. its so bad that no clutch can really deal with it without breaking as well. but i let you take the trip and learn from your mistakes. from the money i spent, i could have bought 2 motorcycles.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm planning out several 212cc predator builds, but instead of investing in strong frames which are very hard to find, I will be reinforcing the mounting areas and the stays.

Every bike will have a jackshaft, and will be registered and street legal.

All will cost a total of around $3000, plus insurance, registration, and tags
hahah.. (cough cough) I haven't laugh-coughed this hard in a long time!
Thanks, my lungs needed it ;-}

Just to be clear, what you want to make isn't legal as a motorized bicycle or a motorcycle anywhere, but you need a licensee to operate it and still may not be legal for safety reasons..

And then building it on a frigging sub standard bicycle frame with bicycle parts, with a way too powerful engine for the frame...
And expect to sell it for $3K?

Heck, I can buy a 200cc real dirt/street bike here locally for half that!
http://www.joyridemotors.com/country/dirt-bikes/joy-ride-charger-200cc-dirt-bike.html
~$1500

I build $1500 motorized bikes like this that will haul ass, stop safe, and legal to ride without the all legal BS.

My point as well as many others here Rider is wake up!
If you want to make something worth $3K look at frames like the motoped which with the right sticker usually passes as legal, and at least safe...

I really truly hope this helps you understand how silly shoving a 212cc engine into a bicycle for normal use is, especially a cheap bicycle you have to 're-enforce' to hope it can take it.

But then expecting to get $3K for it is ummm, silly.
You may sell one to your bar buddy that owes you money, but I figure that's about it.

Best of luck anyway though!

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I'm sure you know what is a part of motorcycle or car engine mounts? Rocker joints are essential in absorbing those vibes. Those are going to be part of the reinforcements. Just small pieces of rubber between the engine and the mount to allow a very small amount of movement.the frame will be thickened at each mounting point by 1/4 inch and each reinforcement will be 3 inches long. I'm using my basic knowledge of how cars engines work to reduce vibrations to build these safely. I will not spare anything however to have the reinforcements professionally welded. The 3000 is to cover the cost of licensing, original inspections, registration, and insurance. The bike itself will cost me around 800, insurance will cost around 1500, registration is 60, inspections are about 40, and vehicle sales and manufacturing licensing will run me around 400, likely more. So to be able to turn some kind of profit, I have to sell at 3000 for some, higher for others. I am also a bicycle mechanic, and even riding some very weak frames to damn near the breaking point, have never had one break. Steel is the best way to go, even in weaker frames. Stronger frames are simply thicker. The stays need to be reinforced so they don't bend laterally from the torque. The mounting points need to be thickened and rocker joints added to the mounts so the frame doesn't torque out of shape. Even with a 66cc on my current bike, I know my rims need to be relaced with 12ga spokes. So, anyone got any other points they'd like to make?

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I am able to get a quote from state Farm for a homemade motorcycle, and here in nevada, if it has an engine size larger than 50ccs, and can go faster than 35mph on flat ground with no more than 1 degree in any direction, plus has all required safety equipment, it is considered a motorcycle and must be licensed and registered as one. The frame with its reinforcements, once inspected, will pass, and will be licensed and registered. Just motorized bikes with 49cc engines have to be licensed and registered as mopeds for antitheft purposes. You did make a very valid point however necromancer. I did do my research before I even received the engine.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I'm sure you know what is a part of motorcycle or car engine mounts? Rocker joints are essential in absorbing those vibes. Those are going to be part of the reinforcements. Just small pieces of rubber between the engine and the mount to allow a very small amount of movement.the frame will be thickened at each mounting point by 1/4 inch and each reinforcement will be 3 inches long. I'm using my basic knowledge of how cars engines work to reduce vibrations to build these safely. I will not spare anything however to have the reinforcements professionally welded. The 3000 is to cover the cost of licensing, original inspections, registration, and insurance. The bike itself will cost me around 800, insurance will cost around 1500, registration is 60, inspections are about 40, and vehicle sales and manufacturing licensing will run me around 400, likely more. So to be able to turn some kind of profit, I have to sell at 3000 for some, higher for others. I am also a bicycle mechanic, and even riding some very weak frames to damn near the breaking point, have never had one break. Steel is the best way to go, even in weaker frames. Stronger frames are simply thicker. The stays need to be reinforced so they don't bend laterally from the torque. The mounting points need to be thickened and rocker joints added to the mounts so the frame doesn't torque out of shape. Even with a 66cc on my current bike, I know my rims need to be relaced with 12ga spokes. So, anyone got any other points they'd like to make?
you can reinforce as much as you want. the frame will break at the border of the reinforcement then. you dont seem to understand how much vibration a 1cyl 212cc engine creates. people here including me are trying to stop you from wasting your money and probably injure yourself of someone else. i have actually built a 212cc bike and i spent nearly3k in that ****. if i would have known that before i wouldnt have done it. the engine is not good for bikes. even in gokarts its not that great.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I am able to get a quote from state Farm for a homemade motorcycle, and here in nevada, if it has an engine size larger than 50ccs, and can go faster than 35mph on flat ground with no more than 1 degree in any direction, plus has all required safety equipment, it is considered a motorcycle and must be licensed and registered as one. The frame with its reinforcements, once inspected, will pass, and will be licensed and registered. Just motorized bikes with 49cc engines have to be licensed and registered as mopeds for antitheft purposes. You did make a very valid point however necromancer. I did do my research before I even received the engine.
I can guarantee you that even with all your "reinforcements" it will still not pass inspection. A bicycle frame will never meet DOT motorcycle safety standards, no matter what you do to it.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
you can reinforce as much as you want. the frame will break at the border of the reinforcement then. you dont seem to understand how much vibration a 1cyl 212cc engine creates. people here including me are trying to stop you from wasting your money and probably injure yourself of someone else. i have actually built a 212cc bike and i spent nearly3k in that ****. if i would have known that before i wouldnt have done it. the engine is not good for bikes. even in gokarts its not that great.
It will break if there isn't anything there to absorb any of the vibrations. That's where rocker joints come in. Between the engine and mount will be a 1/8 in rubber disk around each bolt. Between the mount and reinforced frame will be a rubber strip. That's the vibration reduction you need. The mount is probably about 1 inch wide, so 3 inches of reinforcing material will suffice. I will ride each and every build 100 miles at current speed limits both on the freeway and public streets, just to ensure that none of the joints bend or break. Have any of you who have built a 212 actually used rocker joints? Or any kind of rubber padding to reduce vibrations?

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
In my experience, rubber padding increases, not decreases, vibration, because then the bike and motor vibrate out of sync. Also riding 100 miles isn't nearly enough to test the joints. You need to factor in long-term metal fatigue. Try a few thousand miles, minimum.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Tony, did any other part of your frame crack, and was it steel or aluminum? I prefer steel frames anyway because they will bend before they break, so you have some warning. Note that I said 1/8 in rubber pieces, so they're not too much out of sync. It merely reduces the intensity of the vibration by allowing the engine to move a few 50ths an inch laterally and vertically. Still isn't much of a compensation for a properly balanced crankshaft.