Engine not engaging

GoldenMotor.com

rcanis

Aug 5, 2011
Slidell, La
So I was out for a ride and suddenly **** hits the fan. Got off the bike and there was way too much slack in the engine side chain, turns out the tensioner had stopped tensioning. I locked the clutch in and peddled home normally. When I got home I readjusted the tension took it out for a test ride. With the clutch in it peddled normally, however, when I let the clutch out to start the engine I got some weird almost grinding noises and no start. Now, when I peddle/roll the bike there is no difference in resistance between clutch on or off. Every now and then it will catch for just a second and I'll get "turning over" sounds but then it will be free wheeling again. I am absolutely baffled as to what is going on.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would take off the clutch cover and check what happens when you roll it. Sounds like you may have a sheared key in the small gear. Or a broken gear.

rcanis

Aug 5, 2011
Slidell, La
Well I seem to have found the problem. Sorry for the low quality images, it looks like the head of the screw that holds the little gear on broke off. Could that be causing the problems I've been having? What are the chances it's a symptom of a greater problem within the engine? When I was using pliers to extract the bottom half of the screw, I had to hold the "shaft" with another pair to keep it from spinning freely, shouldn't it have been held fast by then engine? Sorry for the low quality images, all I have is my phone.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
the screw had to go somewhere.
check the bottom of the clutchpads gear chamber
both the large gear hub and the small gear have a woodruff halfmoon keyway in the shaft groove and a groove in the hole of the gear. if this keyway has come out, or stripped off flush the gear in question wil just spin and willnot turn the main shaft and will sound like a meat grinder.
you can get the keyways at thatsdax.com or several other dealers, cheap. i keep half a dozen on hand for my customers.
the screwhead may have damaged some teeth on either or both gears. gears are replacable.

stay dry....
gubba