Broken Carb Mount

GoldenMotor.com

Bmonette8385

Mar 11, 2011
Orange County, CA
Hello everyone! Just had a quick question. Has anyone else experienced a broken carb mount? I noticed mine broken after getting home from classes. The carb fell off and was dangling by the throttle, choke and fuel line! pretty much had to keep in low RPM and hold the carb on the whole way home...boring, and doesnt look cool. I sent Bike Berry a m,essege and am waiting to hear back. I should get a replacement since Im still under warrenty. and it seems to be a crappy casting. Well see. So anyone else had it break?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. happened to me once, and i've seen it happen a few times to other people, and i've read about it here many times.

i might have an extra carb i could give you for a coupla bucks if you don't want to wait for bikeberry...

Bmonette8385

Mar 11, 2011
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the offer dude. I actually drove out to Bike Berry out in Brea. The guys were really cool, and swapped out my carb for a new one since mine is still under warranty. They have a pretty cool little operation happening down there. New one on and I'm off riding.

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
did they give you the same kind of carb? cause if they did you're going to have the same problem. i've heard this problem being fixed wtih a water hose clamp from lowes, also if you go to pirate bikes (the website is on the left hand side of this page) you can find an intake valve designed to fix this problem.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I think he means the small billet intake manifold they sell. Get the boost bottle version. Even if you plug the boost bottle port you have the option of using it for a boost bottle or nitrous if wanted(but not advised) or not, drilling the small manifold would be a pain and the regular manifold isn't good to drill, anyway. The one pre-drilled has extra metal for added strength.

I sand mine down to remove the machining marks. The marks and sharp edges need to be removed. Cracks can and have formed from what are called stress risers. Sanding things smooth removes the risers. Even though there's slightly less metal the part is stronger to resist cracking and breaking. I also radius'd the intake end for smoother flow into the carb. I sold that intake to Duct Tape Goat. I hope it works like I intended it to on mine. I actually never used mine. I got the larger one for the CNS carb and modified it massively. It was made with the center hole the same size as the stock intake with really thick walls. I bored it out to around twice the area and radius'd the carb side opening for flow. Reason for that was the carb had to go out in a clear extension pipe due to the fact there was no room for a carb in the stock location. Sometimes the shorter carb mounting gives sufficient room you don't have to do that but with my frame... :p

Bmonette8385

Mar 11, 2011
Orange County, CA
Ok cool. Yeah I did get the same CNS v2(red filter cap). It rotates clockwise when at more than 1/3 throttle. It will have to do for now, cash is tight and I need a summer job. College guy, lol. Thanks for the help fellas.