ran out of gas

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i was riding back from the store and my engine stopped,i saw air in half the line so i try tilting the bike and pushing the primer button,but it wouldnt start back up.then i checked the gas tank,no gas its empty,thats what i forgot to do before i left my house.lucky i was close to my house,i had to walk home to get oil then back to the store for gas and rode home.with my 200mpg i get i can see why i forgot to look in my fuel tank.

plus im changing my 18-speed to a single speed i just have to get the chain length correct for both sides.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
My bike is very ride able with no motor function. Rode about 3 mi. with the motor sprocket hanging off. Didn't know that at the time, thought it was a sheared wood ruff key or catastrophic clutch failure.

200 mpg? What are you smoking?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
That is the beauty of these MB's, if you run out of gas or have a break down you can pedal home.
I usually don't ride over a couple miles from home to be safe. I remember the idea was, when I built my first one I was going to do alot of pedaling for exercise. Well, about the only pedaling I do now is to get it started.

John

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i was in the middle of my single speed conversion and have my peddal chain off right now= no peddaling.
i cruise to the store around 15-20mph and if i go for a ride at around 25+mph and thats how i get 200mpg. my ratio was 16:1 and now is 20:1,same mpg but more speed=30-35mph+. i have a hose running from the carb to a airbox(pipe) with filter(its a lot quieter,you can't here it run at all, at idle).its like a intake silencer.

i measure my gas and keep a log of mileage with speedo.

Last edited:

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
200 mpg is easy to do Ozzy!

Run easy most of the time and pull the clutch on down hills, (if you have them).
I have been around a year and Ive never heard a 200 MPG claim before for a china gurl. 20cc weed whacker set up maybe I can see it. Been running e-bike law shifted. Thank god! I'm only have 130 miles on my 1st gasser build. I live in hilly NH use alot of gas, I'm sure, going up with foot help, Then I can coast for a mile seems like 2 in places. I'm not a speed demon by any means I'm avid biker (hate to use the term cyclist not the Lance wannabe type with the spandex and arrow dynamic helmet). I've busted up my hip pretty bad in a bicycle accident. I do pedal a lot to try to work it.

The only way I can comprehend 200 mpg on china gurl is if you have the motor off most of the time and only use it to pull yourself up hills. Sorry, I'm from Missouri "the show me" state, it has to be proven to me :)

I know I'm in the break-in stage so my mileage is bad. Its DAX "80" I have BPM6A (clearance trouble)plug, good wire and a slant head on the way. The day I get 150 MPG I'll mark my calender celebrate it annually. ;)

i have a hose running from the carb to a airbox(pipe) with filter(its a lot quieter,you can't here it run at all, at idle).its like a intake silencer.

i measure my gas and keep a log of mileage with speedo.
Got a pic of that set up?? I live in a quiet sleepy neighborhood on the edge of civilization. My neighbors will kiss you! LOL

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I must have run out of gas on my China kit bike at least ten times. A couple of those were clogs in the so called tank filter. The tank filter clogged 25 ft from a gas station but a half mile from home. All uphill of course.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the intake silencer i used on my last bike,came from rubber boot from front shock
and a aluminum pipe about 6" long or so.
slide boot over end of carb and put the other end of boot over a pipe that fits and tape together,point pipe down and mount or tie pipe to bike and if you want to you can put a filter on the end but i didnt.you cant hear the engine at idle.but i switch bikes, i now have a scwhinn del mar with stock black air filter.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
the intake silencer i used on my last bike,came from rubber boot from front shock
and a aluminum pipe about 6" long or so.
slide boot over end of carb and put the other end of boot over a pipe that fits and tape together,point pipe down and mount or tie pipe to bike and if you want to you can put a filter on the end but i didnt.you cant hear the engine at idle.but i switch bikes, i now have a scwhinn del mar with stock black air filter.
Great idea!

I must have run out of gas on my China kit bike at least ten times. A couple of those were clogs in the so called tank filter. The tank filter clogged 25 ft from a gas station but a half mile from home. All uphill of course.
Out the 3 long rides I've took I ran out of gas 2x LOL. Only about a mile or two from house. Luckily anywhere within 3 mile its all down hill or flat. I got about 75 -80 mpg.

I've made some improvements and goin to test them over the weekend. The card was sucking air the man/carb joint. Ive known that for a while didn't think it would make a bug difference. Boy! Was I wrong! I put the SBP Carb O-ring in, took a quick and i mean quick! ride around the block. It was nearly scary fast! Ive put the Stubby NGK on there and the wire also from SBP. This allowed me to straighten up the motor. So, now I have have to bend the pipe a little more again to clear pedal. I may bend it alot to get it parallel with the down tube, have to see how it goes. I have a slant head on the way to more clearance. ;) I haven't got any e-mail from zoomcycles. Dont know if it shipped or not. Never dealt with them before.

zpt

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
see, this is exactly the reason I plan on filling one of those "water bottle" mounts with extra gas... ftw

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
When I first got into "alternative" transportation, I bought a 2 stroke scooter. I was happy with the 80 mpg and would push it to see how many days I could go without having to fill up. I hates running out of gas with that thing. No pedals and weighs a ton to push 2 miles to the nearest gas station and I did this 3 times. Duh..... :oops: Now I refill as soon as the gas gauge needle comes off the full mark. Luckily, I now use an ebike to ride to work and only use the gas scooter when it rains, which hasn't been very often. Yeah, the ebike battery pack gets recharged every night. ;)

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Not a see thought tank but its the next best thing. This guy doesnt have to worry much when out of gas anyway.

80cc Bicycle Motor

I an across this bike when searching for chain breaker then Dan sent it to me a few days later.

Last edited:

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
When I first got my china engine I was only getting about 65 miles to the imperial gallon. After rejetting porting and cutting the baffle slighty it was up to 75 mpg. After cutting the head and making a new thinner copper head gasket which took 0.050'' off the head and taper boring the carb I am getting 125 mpg using a 36T rear sprocket. I used a gps and mixed up 4L of fuel from the gas pump to arrive at this number. I ride with a 4 litre fuel tank and ran the bike till it was dry. The compression was the major factor in getting the mileage.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i am running stock almost(intake silencer with ram air installed) and im getting 200mpg.
i used 4liters of gas and at over 200 miles right now and just put a 5th liter in tank.
26" bike with 44t sprocket. c-clip at second notch from top. idle set to idle low but enough to stay running. i have a stock black cat muff. and custom engine mounts. i weigh around 120lbs.
bike is used mainly on flat roads.top speed is over 32mph 20-25mph cruising.
i was using 16:1 and now using 20:1. i have stock plugs and wire and stock jets.
origional non leaking gaskets.

i check my tank to see if it has gas before riding now.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I run twin engines and a Happy Time reserve tank. Sometimes I forget to turn the petcock until one engine starts sputtering. Duh!

I turn the petcock but then there's not enough suction to pull gas from reserve to engine tank.

So one engine quits and I ride to work on one motor.

Sometimes the front engine quits. Sometimes the rear engine quits.

They take turns.

My fuel delivery issues should stop when I install a 12v electric fuel pump I bought on ebay.xct2xct2

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Most camping places carry aluminum fuel bottles for camp stoves. The lids seal perfect and most of them will fit in a water bottle holder. Personally I get around to 50 miles on a fillup with my 2L tank. That's far enough for me but I'm not as bullet proof as I once was.