Coming soon... my first build

GoldenMotor.com

rednek_express

Dec 24, 2009
Wisconsin
I've been reading the posts here for awhile, & finally decided to build. I picked up an 18-speed Motobecane mt bike with bmx handlebars on craigslist awhile back for $85, & yesterday I ordered a 50cc engine from Dax, & a shift kit from sbp. Have wanted to put an engine on a bike for years, & thought I was nuts till I found this site. Thanks to everyone for all the informative posts!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's very cool! Sounds like a nice combo, It would be cool to see a motobecane fuel tank integrated into your build, just a thought :) Can't wait to see what you do!

rednek_express

Dec 24, 2009
Wisconsin
Looks like this project is an anti-go. After a week of prepping the old bike, I discover that the threads on the crank arms on the Motobecane are just a little bigger than those on the crank removal tool. Local bike shop is stumped and can't find a tool to do the job. Gonna cut my losses, and hopefully find another bike on craigslist this week.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looks like this project is an anti-go. After a week of prepping the old bike, I discover that the threads on the crank arms on the Motobecane are just a little bigger than those on the crank removal tool. Local bike shop is stumped and can't find a tool to do the job. Gonna cut my losses, and hopefully find another bike on craigslist this week.
A well tooled mechanic shop may be able improvise a puller. Those will know doubt be a grumpy group of guy's tho. I have beleive it or not I have a battery terminal puller that I never used on batteries. I modified it at the table grinder for clearance it will get a crank arm off but it leave a gnarly scratch on the back side of the crank arm..

''I know there is the official puller out there just thought I would share''.

In my kid days I would use a brass drift punch from the other side to gently work it off. That was ugly too. Left marks lol. Some hard wood even a two by four can work as a drift punch for less scratches and or rags. . You'll really need to make a point to tap it off evenly one knock on top one on the bottom so it does not bind coming off..

Last edited: