15 most beautiful cars of all time?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Is that the original roof line on the Delahaye? Looks like the roof was chopped by a hotrod shop. Beautiful car. Looks like it has suicide doors.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'd be willing to bet that it's the original roof line. And I'd also be willing to bet that its coachwork was made by either Figoni et Falaschi or Partout. Stunning car.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know....I have another suggestion for the list of beautiful cars. How about the first generation of Malibus/Cutlass/Tempest/Skylark. (Two of those names existed before. But I'm talking about the ones that debuted in 1965 or 66.)

And imagine, say, an Impala SS convertible. Maybe a 1966 model.

When it comes right down to it, during the 60s General Motors came up with one model after another that were just great to look at. I don't know just who their designers were, but they were among the very best.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you, Ludwig for including the Delahaye. Surely one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

And isn't it a shame that there doesn't seem to be any originality in design today. I can't tell one car from another. They all appear to be clones of each other. If they don't look like used bars of soap, they look like boxes with wheels. Cooky cutter copy-cat designs with no imagination or style with very few exceptions.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
" I can't tell one car from another."
One reason cars look so similar these days is aerodynamics.
The group that designed the 66 GTO wasn't too concerned about aerodynamic drag because they had 389 cubic cubic inches, 3 carburators and 11:1 compression to overcome it. Amen.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
" I can't tell one car from another."
One reason cars look so similar these days is aerodynamics.
The group that designed the 66 GTO wasn't too concerned about aerodynamic drag because they had 389 cubic cubic inches, 3 carburators and 11:1 compression to overcome it. Amen.
The 'goat' wasn't fast enough to be concerned with aerodynamics :)

In 69 I came home from Vietnam with a pocket full of cash and bought a 429 Boss Mustang. The only thing GTO owners ever saw of it was taillights and a tag number. :)

Funny, but GTO fans today are just as devoted and adamant as they were in the 60s.
Good for you guys. No matter the make or model, the 60s muscle cars will never see their equal in styling, horsepower or appeal. I'm just glad I was part of it and can appreciate what America produced back then. True performance machines with guts.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I'll have to disagree about the gto being slow, they can be made to run pretty good. I built mine when I worked at the auto parts store machine shop, it was as strong as anything that was around then. 118 mph or so in a 1/4 is not too bad.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg, just pokin' fun like we used to do when we were kids. There always has been the Ford verses Chevy, verses Mopar, verses Pony guys. Everyone thought their choice was the best/fastest/best looking. They were all awsome vehicles, no matter the name.

We were all 'car guys' but we had our favorites and that will probably carry through until we're all gone. I was always a Ford guy. I had my share of disagreements with the Chevy/Mopar/Pontiac guys but I think there was always mutual respect. We just never let it be seen. :)

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I feel privileged to have experienced the 60s and early 70s, though I was too young to drive.
-Zora Arkus Duntov was our King Arthur and Detroit was our Camelot.
-Harley Earl, Carroll Shelby, John Delorean, Smokey Yunick and the Woods brothers were some of the knights of his round table.
-I guess Ralph Nader would be Mordred. I'm still trying to figure out who would be Guinevere.
-Maybe Smokey Yunick was Merlin, rather than a knight. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The fastest stone stock car I ever rode in was a 1970 chevelle 454, I never raced the guy but the " seat of the pant" dyno said it was very fast. Don't get me wrong I like fords too, I have two now along with two Gm trucks. I basicly like all kinds of cars or trucks that are done right.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The fastest car I rode in was a 73 Firebird Formula 400 with the ram air heads. Never got to drive it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I feel privileged to have experienced the 60s and early 70s, though I was too young to drive.
-Zora Arkus Duntov was our King Arthur and Detroit was our Camelot.
-Harley Earl, Carroll Shelby, John Delorean, Smokey Yunick and the Woods brothers were some of the knights of his round table.
-I guess Ralph Nader would be Mordred. I'm still trying to figure out who would be Guinevere.
-Maybe Smokey Yunick was Merlin, rather than a knight. Hmmmm.
I think Shirley Muldowney could sit in for Guinevere.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This was the fastest factory car I ever owned. The Boss 429 was an awsome machine that would push your eyeballs into the backs of their sockets. It had torque that was unbelievable IF, you could get the rear tires to hook up. All that power and no weight.

I've driven faster cars but none off the showroom floor. I was just a little too young to buy and own a 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt. But it would have put the Boss to shame.

I'm more reserved today. My little sedan is fast enough for me. it will do 12 sec. 1/4 miles and 124mph. but I never drive it over the posted speed limit. Oh, and my trusty Ranger pickup.

Tom

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Actually, now that I've had time to think about it, the most beautiful car to me is the one in my garage!! Paid off and all mine! It's good enough to do 1200 miles in a day and still allow me to walk when it was over.

Yep, that's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup, me too - :)

Here's my 2003 Ford Taurus, 100% paid, new tires and brakes. Good to go.

It don't live in the garage though, it's just transportation. It sits out in the driveway where it belongs. The garage is for more important vehicles, ones that feed my soul;

I liked the color so much I bought the matching bike - :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My old, paid-for, workhorse happens to be a 2000 Dodge Caravan. I would not place it among the 15 most beautiful cars. But it isn't butt ugly either. And with a 3.3 liter Mitsubishi engine, it really moves when I absolutely need it too. It's the second cheapest vehicle to maintain that I've ever owned in my life. (The first was a five-speed '96 Eclipse, also with a Mitsubishi engine.) I've had to put another starter in it once, many thousands of miles ago. Outside of preventative maintenance, that's all I've ever done. Just today, it hauled home 1,500 pounds of paving stones with no problem at all. It's been handy when I've had to move. I try not to ask too much of it, but it does anything I need it to. It ain't a beauty really, but it's hard to beat for a multi-purpose vehicle.