Runaway Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
First off, grab a foot or two of fuel line hose from your local NAPA or whatever. When you replace yours with new high-quality line, do a "free" upgrade on his. It'll be too stiff to kink the way the stock line does. If you match the curve of the tubing (from it being coiled before you bought it) to the span between the petcock and the carb it not only works really well it looks 'right'.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
I think the fuel line kink is definitely part of the problem. Carbon buildup can be a big part too. I had an engine with similar troubles. It didn't want to die even with the kill switch held down. At first I thought it was the wiring of the switch, but shorting out the wires leading to the switch had the same effect as pressing the button. The bike would die, but it liked to spit and sputter and bog down a while, then it would finally shut down. I figured it was running either super lean, or super hot, or both.

I pulled the plug and it was white or at least a very light grey. Checked out the carb and intake and found that there was no O-Ring, and the carb wasn't seated right. Pretty big air leak there. Then I pulled the jug to check out what the internals looked like, since it was a "well used" engine. The combustion chamber was surprisingly thick with carbon build up, the top of the piston was mostly black, with some brown areas around the edges. I grabbed the old Dremel set and got to cleaning and polishing. I used a stiff wire bit to get the majority of the gunk off, then switched to a softer metal bristle bit to polish it smooth so that the carbon would have nowhere to stick. the combustion chamber looked like chrome when I got done with it. I put everything back together, and there was lots more oomph at lower RPMs. The bike would shut down with just a press of the kill switch. It felt like I lost a little top-end, but that may be because I was running richer than before. I love how good these little engines run when they're a little lean, but after sticking a piston on one rather lean running bike, I've leaned more toward the rich side since then. Too much heat when lean.

If you're wondering about the air-fuel ration, do a plug chop. If it's real light in color, you can show your brother that yes, it IS running lean, and the pinched fuel line can be the leading cause. Also, see if there's an O-Ring between the carb and the intake. Without one, there can be big air leaks, even when there doesn't appear to be any gaps.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Yes, I was pondering this combustion process just last night. Why do RC model airplanes use glow plugs for a spark plug? Can't we invest in a glow plug for the 2-stroke engine, which is basically a large RC scale model plane engine on acid, and do away with the whole timing thing and the magneto?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You need alcohol fuel for a glow plug to work.
The glow plug has a platinum coil that has a catalytic reaction with the alcohol fuel. The only reason you "light it off" with a battery is to get it started, and warmed up.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
You need alcohol fuel for a glow plug to work.
The glow plug has a platinum coil that has a catalytic reaction with the alcohol fuel. The only reason you "light it off" with a battery is to get it started, and warmed up.
Well it is dependent on the characteristics of the fuel, you are right. However, old deisels used glow plugs to generate enough heat to cold start an engine, which is high compression and fuel oil basically.

I think it is possible to manufacture a Glow plug for a large 4 stroke. I may look into it and query some manufacturers.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Diesels are a completely different animal.
There are two stroke diesels as well.

There are of course diesel conversion heads for two stroke glow models, but I'm not sure our cranks would not hold up to a diesels' compression.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Diesels are a completely different animal.
There are two stroke diesels as well.

There are of course diesel conversion heads for two stroke glow models, but I'm not sure our cranks would not hold up to a diesels' compression.
Well the point is; can a glow plug be improvised into a China Girl motor? Assuming the right fuel conditions and heat range of course (hypothetically)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At any rate, if you converted our engines to run on a glow plug, you'd still need alcohol fuel.

Then they'd use 3 times the fuel, and glow fuel is really expensive.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The trend in R/C planes (all the way down to .40) is to run an ignition.

But yes, if you wanted to make a glow plug, and run alcohol, you could certainly do it. I just don't think there's any advantage to be had.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
At any rate, if you converted our engines to run on a glow plug, you'd still need alcohol fuel.

Then they'd use 3 times the fuel, and glow fuel is really expensive.
Why do you assume that you need glow fuel? I know it is out of the scope of my experience and maybe yours as well, but I think it might be plausible considering the applications that glow plugs are being used with different fuels. I know it seems a mute point, but considering the only major failure on the China Girl engine is the electricals it seems it should be re-engineered. Just a thought off the top of my head though. I like to think outside the box sometimes.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Diesels use a completely different type of "glow plug" to heat the combustion chamber and help the diesel start when cold. They don't run on a glow plug like a glow engine.

As I said, glow engines need alcohol fuel to sustain combustion by a catalytic reaction with the platinum element of the glow plug.

I am not assuming anything, that's just how they work.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Diesels use a completely different type of "glow plug" to heat the combustion chamber and help the diesel start when cold. They don't run on a glow plug like a glow engine.

As I said, glow engines need alcohol fuel to sustain combustion by a catalytic reaction with the platinum element of the glow plug.

I am not assuming anything, that's just how they work.
True. Good post.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Wow, toadmund hasn't replied for several days. I hope his brother didn't beat him up :)

Tom
I'm OK, I'm still here, but what about my brother?
I think he is being stubborn and won't visit this thread because he believes the kink is not a problem.
But at WOT it is IMO and IYO.

4 pages now, I'll call him.

Note, he is busy moving into a new house in the boonies with no net access yet.
Hopefully at his old house with net access he may find the time to read this thread.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
It was 3Degrees Celsius today and finally I took my bike (not my brother's bike) out after hibernating it all winter.
I
started my bike up for the first time using the RT carb. It (the exhaust) smoked a lot, probably stale gas, 4 or so month's old.
Old man walked up to me and we discussed my carb problem and talked about mopeds and motored bikes.
It was running fast so visually inspected it, checked the intake gasket, OK, I sprayed all along the intake with the only flammable aerosol I could find, silicone lube.
No change.
Tried a wider jet, then went smaller (settled on 70, still a tad of 4 stroking) nope, not lean that way.
Then I realised the idle screw turned out farther than the NT did, a little bit better, but still the motor sped up.
Some guy smoking outside a sports bar came up to me curious about my bike and we talked briefly.
Then I saw my throttle cable nuts came loose and while I did that I realised the cable was a bit tight, then the idle became a lot more normal.

It was mainly the thing I should have checked first, but didn't.

Then I washed the gunk off my hands with dish soap and sugar, or is it salt that works better? The sugar worked. The sugar or salt acts as an abrasive and the dish soap soaps. Then I rinsed my hands. <----<< cool story

Then I went and got fresh gas, couldn't read the gas pump, the LCD readout was bad, was 10cents short, checked all my pockets, nothing, but the clerk let me go, it ran better with new gas.

So, I figured out my problem......................sometime soon my brother will figure out his, and finally read this thread. And he will tell us what he did to fix it, if he ever registers. If not, I will tell you.