What is a China girl motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
I have only just joined this forum after getting the idea of building a board track type vintage moped bicycle thing lodged firmly in my head.

I want to keep it 50cc or below so as not to have to drive it with L plates on, (UK restrictions..) and I have been looking at engines.

Is a China girl just a generic Chinese cheap and cheerful, or not so cheerful, engine? Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENG02-Eng...rike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item563e1861bf

Is it likely to be much different than something like this for instance?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-cc-eng...80?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a74010208

Has anyone ever used the engine from like a Honda C50 or anything?

Cheers

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: What is a China girl?

Many folks have used Honda motorcycle engines (CT70 style) and the Lifan or Zongshen clones as well.
Look in the 4 stroke section if you would like to find some threads on them.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

If you get a china girl I recommend getting the "80cc". No one will know it is over 50cc. It is not 80cc either, it is 66cc. China doesn't measure displacement correctly. They're common because they are easier to mount and build for than something like the honda engines. It's really cool when someone does make a build with one though.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan

Bikeguy Joe nailed it - that link is the china girl motor and as said above they come in 48cc and 80cc flavors (80cc is really a mislabeled 66cc as Rocky_Motor said). There are slight differences between some of the kits but they are all very similar. They are generally sold as a kit and include parts for mounting to a bicycle and getting you on the road. They are however not the best quality - but they are cheap. With a little work up front you can clean up the poor casting and other issues and replace some of the flimsy kit parts (such as junk spark plug and wire) and end up with a very fun motorized bike.