Need help w/ac motor wiring

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
This is only related because I hope it will generate funds to buy more mab parts. :)

It's identified as a YDM-45-4 120V.
It has 3 leads, red, white, and blue.

I need to learn what it is, and how to properly connect it.

Tnx !
rc

Attachments

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If the resistance across any of the three leads is the same then it is most likely wired in a delta configuration. The gauge of the leads looks like it is for light-duty or perhaps intermittent use.
If you spin the shaft by hand, is it smooth, or does it have little 'bumps', or steps when you spin it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There really is no 'standard' as far as wire colors go from manufacturer to manufacturer. From experience I'd have to guess that it is a split phase two speed motor. The white is a common, or neutral, and the red and blue are speed taps. Red is often the high speed winding and blue is medium or low speed. (Not always however)

Warning: That's just a guess. If you want to try wiring it I'd suggest placing a fuse in series with the 'hot' lead and protect your eyes when you turn on the juice. Size the fuse against the 'AMP' specification on the motor data plate. Good luck.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey tnx guys!

R, it's got field coils and no magnets in the armature... no bumpies with rotation... my kid's got my china vom... for testing his ipod batteries... no clue where he's left it. lol

2dr, I have already ..touched.. a hot ac lead to the wires, in a succession and got nothing from the armature. all I got was a very whisper of a spark. not even enough to consider I damaged a winding within it...

There is NO nomenclature plate on this thing. only the YDM-45-4, and 120v following that.
Nothing else.
They obviously weren't very proud of it! lol
It's gotta be china manufacture.. would be my guess.

I ran google images on Bread Machine Motor and came up with pics very close to what I have here... but the websites that carry the pics are all mainland china mfg's and there is no further info abt wiring.
I did find one site that said something abt 35w and 1300 - 1400 rpm.
Then I found another site discussing phase angle controllers and pulse width modulation for induction motors...

Whew! It's beyond me and gosh, I really don't want to undertake study of theory at that level just to build a little lapping machine! lol

I think next time I get a few bucks I'll cruise the thrift stores for an old bread maker machine and pull it apart to inspect the control circuitry. They sell em for $5 - $10 on a regular basis.

Thing is, I want to vary the motor speed, down to abt 1/3 or a bit less for some of the polishing I hope to do, and abt 1/2 speed for most use.
...and I gotta do this with 1/5th or 1/4hp, on a motor that's vertically oriented with top quality bearings... lol gonna spin a 6 or 8" disk with it.

tnx
rc

mesmith

Jun 30, 2011
United States
This is only related because I hope it will generate funds to buy more mab parts. :)

It's identified as a YDM-45-4 120V.
It has 3 leads, red, white, and blue.

I need to learn what it is, and how to properly connect it.

Tnx !
rc
I have seen something simular inside of an old VHS player. It somehow controlled the gears for the forward and rewinding of the tape. I tore one apart once, and it looked like that.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
...Thing is, I want to vary the motor speed, down to abt 1/3 or a bit less for some of the polishing I hope to do, and abt 1/2 speed for most use.
...and I gotta do this with 1/5th or 1/4hp, on a motor that's vertically oriented with top quality bearings... lol gonna spin a 6 or 8" disk with it.

tnx
rc
How about using an old phonograph? Some have 4 speeds, vertical orientation, plus the disk is already there.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's probably what I'll end up doing, R. change of plan...

I've just read a fixit forum thread that described it as an induction motor with capacitor for phase shift... The fellow claimed connections were 1..line 2..line to motor and capacitor 3.. other terminal of capacitor.

First glimmer of instruction I've seen for a 3 wire pigtail, so it looks good to me! lol Yet I have no clue how my colors might be numbered according to the info I found. lol

It's a fine looking little motor I've got here, but it looks like I'll need to just set it on the shelf until I get more information about it.

So now I'm going to see about using some small motor to spin a cd or dvd and use polishing compound on those disks... It will still require variable speed, but less torque with a smaller disk... so the process will take longer. :- (

Oh well...

Tnx!
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Look in your yellow pages for an electric motor repair shop near you. They specialize in rebuilding/rewinding electric motors and might be able to shed some light on your question. They might even do it for free, if they're nice guys.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
After thinking about it for a while, try this:

AC Neutral goes to white, and AC Hot goes to either red or blue, which one determines direction of rotation.

Of course, have a fuse inline when testing.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK!

Hey tnx R !!!

I'll run the line current to white and red, or white and blue... and see which doesn't make sparks... :) yah, I'm a hack lol

I saw somewhere what the cap rating was guestimated at, so I'll look for that again.

went to buy a bread machine today and they wanted $15... WAY too much!
...then I had to go and draw attention to myself and crashed the entire durn shelf a bunch of kitchen appliances were sitting ! Sliced up my hand and leaked all over the place ! Boy were they worried! lol
I told 'em, Well, I'm done looking at that now! lol

didn't break none a their stuff, the stoopid shelf just collapsed.. or I collapsed it, however u wanna look at it. :)

I got a bread machine, but I like it !
don't really want to take it apart, because it works fine.
Doesn't make as good a bread as SHE does, but I'vew made some really good bread with it... kinda dumb lookin square loafs, but really good stuff in em!

OK, I'll try your guestimate diagram shortly...
If I don't come back online, I blew all the breakers! lol

tnx
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
So, you spent some bread so that you can make some bread.
Whew!
that's a loaded question...

The baker costs me more than I want to count.
but SHE's worth it, I guess :)

The breadmaker was $5 and I'd rather have it than the lincoln I lost in the deal.

:)
rc