Carb Leaking very badly

GoldenMotor.com

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Hello all,

I just recently finished assembling this engine kit:
BikeBerry.com

I had just went outside, poured in some gas, and opened up the fuel value. Few seconds later gas is pouring out my carburetor from where the black filter (part that looks somewhat like a skull) is.

Things that should be noted:
1. I don't have the fuel filter in place because it came broken. Gas line is going straight from fuel valve to carb.
2. My carb isn't mounted straight, as in other pictures. I had to flip to short section of pipe going from the engine to the carburetor over in order to make it fit, so the carburetor is leaning back at almost a 45 degree angle.

I'll come post some pictures tomorrow. It's dark right now.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this happens to me on every other bike i build. fill'er up, and gas starts pouring out.

here's the fix.

take the carb off and take it apart. it's the 2 screws holding the float bowl on.

inside, there's the plastic float. if it's full of gas, it's got a leak, and you need a new one

if it's not full of gas, get some carb cleaner or canned air and blow out every opening. usually it's where the needle and seat are. iff you pull the pin out that holds the float (it'll usually fall out by itself) to the little brass piece, there's a pointy thing inside of a hole. pull that out and blow that out. any tiny piece of dirt will cause it too stick.

another problem is the needle and slide (the brass rod and the plastic round thingy) tend to stick sometimes, holding the throttle open.

the slide should move up and down freely, all the way when you twist and untwist the throttle. make sure the plastic slide is smooth and drops into the carb nice and easy. if it's kinda sticky, some super fine sandpaper, like 1000 grit, steel wool, or a buffer can smooth out any burrs. make sure it's nice and clean when you drop it in, and line up the tiny pin in the carb body with the slot in the slide. never force it. if it doesn't drop in on it's own, you're doing it wrong.

that's about it.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I just took the carb off and the chamber with the float in it was completely filled with gas.

Now what?

I took the carb apart, checked it out, and it seemed to be functioning properly. I'm going to take a guess and that say it having been mounted at that angle may have contributed to the leaking.

I'm re-mounting the motor as we speak.

Last edited:

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Bike is up and running now!

Broke down and re-assmbled the carb; that stopped the leaking. Going to pick up some new cables tomorrow. My bike has the exposed brake and clutch cables on top the frame. Gas tank is stopping the brakes from working atm.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Bike is up and running now!

Broke down and re-assmbled the carb; that stopped the leaking. Going to pick up some new cables tomorrow. My bike has the exposed brake and clutch cables on top the frame. Gas tank is stopping the brakes from working atm.
Slip a cable sheath(outer part of cable) over exposed area under tank or use a spacer under tank to lift it off the cable. (I used a piece of paint mixing stick)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I got cables that run over the top of the frame, too, ava... I used a couple rectangle pieces from a coarse rubber floor mat to space the Pnut up a bit. it has worked fine since installing...

I was lucky, a few times fiddling with the float height magically brought it to an adjustment point it liked. Now I'm cautious not to mess with it when changing the jetting.

Glad ur having fun!
rc