First 2 stroke build with RAW 80cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Hi,

I just recieved my RAW kit. (how do i know if its really an 80cc RAW engine?, it has no stickers on it) I checked for missing parts and have done research.

This is what I did so far:
1. Checked for damage and missing parts.
2. Took apart engine, just the 3 covers, cylinder, and head.
3. Im on my way to Oreily auto parts and maybe ACE hardware to look for Castor oil or Opti - 2 oil and an NGK spark plug... I hope I find these. and maybe a K&N air filter... if its not too expensive.

I have not recieved my walmart bike yet, it will come in on monday.

Please add to the list.

I need tips for the break in of the engine.

Accidentally posted in pre motorized thread...

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I just went to both Oreilly and Ace, they don't have anything.

Not looking good. =[

Is it safe to break in engine with the stock spark plug/muffler and with cheap oil?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
not sure about a RAW engine, but I use a autolite 4093 it's the cheaper version of the ngk i believe but it works fine. There's a thread somewhere on here with a list of spark plugs you can use. I found it at the local Advance auto parts.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Ive decided to order 3 x 12oz bottles of Opti-2 from Amazon for 6.85 a bottle.

Then i am going to order NGK spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, and maybe an expansion chamber.

Does the SBP air filter come with the red oil or can I buy from Oreilly?

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Oh, what do I use for chain oil???

Do I grease the gears too???

Is it worth taking it apart to grease anything inside? or does it even need to be greased? I just dont know...

Last edited:

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I noticed I have a hairline fracture/crack in my upper piston ring...should I be worried?

My dam Walmart bike has 2 bearing balls missing on the front wheel, left side of the hub. It should have 11 on each side, so I took one from the right side and put it in the left side and I now have 10 on each side. Will this be a problem?

The rear wheel lock nut was loose, so now I have to figure out how the **** I am going to tighten it correctly so that it wont loosen up and seize.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
My Cranbrooke front hub is the same, not sure of the number but the left side had more than the right. After I cleaned, grease and put it back together the right side of the hub would make a loud popping sound. When I went to take the wheel back off I notice a ball bearing on the ground. cleaned and stuck it in but both side still aren't same amount but it doesn't pop anymore so I think I'll be fine. I notice with the one bearing out it made a big gap, but once I added the new one the gap was about the size of one bearing.

About the piston ring..that doesn't sound good at all.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Here are some pictures.

I had to shorten the Black down tube by about 5-6 inches:

Here is my awful soldering job, was a very quick one.
I bought a 45 degree copper tube so that carb will fit.
I used rubber to make a seal for the carb.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
How many times do i need to adjust clutch cable?

How hard is it supposed to be to pull clutch lever?
Once my clutch was adjusted properly I haven't needed to adjust it much. This may be due to the fact that I need to only pull on the clutch handle with around 6# (tested with 6# mono fishing line)... I can use my pinky finger to pull the clutch handle. There are a few modifications that can be made to the clutch cable. The stock clutch set up is junk. You seen to have a good mechanical ability...make one of these..

Last edited:

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
K, well I have to use about 10-20 lbs of force to pull the clutch lever with my thumb.

Is the stock set up supposed to be this difficult?

homejones

Jul 4, 2011
Lostville
rmfla
K, well I have to use about 10-20 lbs of force to pull the clutch lever with my thumb.

Is the stock set up supposed to be this difficult?
Yes, for some reason it is. I immediately ordered one of Ron's clutch pulley's. Should be included with every kit.

Another thing that will help (even better when done in conjunction with Ron's clutch pulley) is to unsheath the clutch cable, lube it up with some grease and then reinsert into the cable housing. Should make the pull a little easier.

Finally, you don't really need the small spring in between the clutch bar and the engine clutch nut. Keep the big spring on there (before the clutch nut) which will act as a heat shield for the clutch cable.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Ok, other than my gmail account being hacked. I was able to spend a little time with my bike today.

Once again, another head ache.

The three black studs are somehow grinding against the gear cover...

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I don't know why the studs would be grinding against the plate. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the studs are too long. It couldn't really hurt to remove the flower-nut and the clutch plate and see what's under there. Perhaps the studs are not in properly, or something.

While you've got the cover off, get some moly grease and spread a little dab over the small gear. This will help extend the life of these gears.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I don't know why the studs would be grinding against the plate. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the studs are too long. It couldn't really hurt to remove the flower-nut and the clutch plate and see what's under there. Perhaps the studs are not in properly, or something.

While you've got the cover off, get some moly grease and spread a little dab over the small gear. This will help extend the life of these gears.
I already did apply grease, but the aluminum shavings "soaked it all up".

No, its not too long. It just started to shave the cover not too long ago. I think it started to get loose...or the clutch pushing it out.

Last edited:

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I fixed the issue with the grinding. The issue was that the nuts that hold the gear and sprocket on the shaft were loose, so i tightened it up and now i dont hear grinding.

Clutch seems ok too.

I took her out on a spin today, about 5 miles total today non stop. I noticed that the copper exhaust pipe has discolored and the rubber hoses oozed out white stuff. Then I oiled the chain up, let it sit for 15 mins. Then I went on another 2 mile ride.

I will check my spark plug later today.

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
I am running 75:1 mix with Opti 2 oil. With SBP Pipe (6 inch shorter) and untuned carb... i think. I dont know how to tune, but it is idling pretty well.

Here it is:

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Really Al I have caught 15 pound fish on 6 pound line so your 6# test pull of your clutch seems a little off. I do not think that is an accurate comparison. Just saying.