X80A motor?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One thing that interests me about this motor is it has a 1 1/2" front motor mount.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah- somebody was talking about that a fewdays ago- they've finally recast trhe front motor mount i guess and it's available in kits- be great when it filters into replacement motors- I've ground down two front mounts- installation will be much easier with a wide mount-

great!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah- somebody was talking about that a fewdays ago- they've finally recast trhe front motor mount i guess and it's available in kits- be great when it filters into replacement motors- I've ground down two front mounts- installation will be much easier with a wide mount-

great!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. 1 1/2" makes a lot of sense. Plus I believe it says the studs are the next size bigger.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i decided to order one today so we're all going to find out.
Thats a good kit biknut.....the muffler is the very restrictive one so that would be the first thing I chunked, but that's a good kit I know someone that got that same kit and it is working out great, very smooth running engine and after breaking in some has really come up in power.

I always say these things are a crap shoot, but I'll bet you get a good one, thats what we'll hope for anyway......

Best wishes

Peace

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thats a good kit biknut.....the muffler is the very restrictive one so that would be the first thing I chunked, but that's a good kit I know someone that got that same kit and it is working out great, very smooth running engine and after breaking in some has really come up in power.

I always say these things are a crap shoot, but I'll bet you get a good one, thats what we'll hope for anyway......

Best wishes

Peace
Do you have any idea how the cylinder castings look? In the picture they look pretty good. I thought my Flying Horse had crappy castings till I saw a SkyHawk up close. It's even worse.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Do you have any idea how the cylinder castings look? In the picture they look pretty good. I thought my Flying Horse had crappy castings till I saw a SkyHawk up close. It's even worse.
No I haven't seen one opened up or without exhaust and intake bolted up to it all I can tell you is a friend that has that exact engine is getting 34MPH out of it completely stock with a 44T sprocket on 72:1 Opti 2 and his is very smooth, I rode his bike once before it was even broke in good and he had the mix very oil rich and it was a very smooth engine, I was impressed at how good in ran even though it was really choked down with oil and was very low miles at the time, pulled hills good and at that time 4 stroked 100% of the time and would run 25-27MPH all day long that way, now that he has done some tuning on the carb. and went to the Opti 2 he is getting 34+ MPH and it still runs very good.

This is all I have to go buy on that engine, but if you get one like his you'll have you a good-un for sure.

All my engines have come from BGF/Luckyearlybird and I have been happy with all of them, I have had some issues but nothing that I would blame on the engines themself or nothing all the others dont have from time to time and only had one fail on me so far.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No I haven't seen one opened up or without exhaust and intake bolted up to it all I can tell you is a friend that has that exact engine is getting 34MPH out of it completely stock with a 44T sprocket on 72:1 Opti 2 and his is very smooth, I rode his bike once before it was even broke in good and he had the mix very oil rich and it was a very smooth engine, I was impressed at how good in ran even though it was really choked down with oil and was very low miles at the time, pulled hills good and at that time 4 stroked 100% of the time and would run 25-27MPH all day long that way, now that he has done some tuning on the carb. and went to the Opti 2 he is getting 34+ MPH and it still runs very good.

This is all I have to go buy on that engine, but if you get one like his you'll have you a good-un for sure.

All my engines have come from BGF/Luckyearlybird and I have been happy with all of them, I have had some issues but nothing that I would blame on the engines themself or nothing all the others dont have from time to time and only had one fail on me so far.

Good to know. My conclusion after reading all the complaints people have with various engines, and seeing a disappointing looking SkyHawk engine up close, I think they really are all about the same. But different brands may be a little better in some way or another just to be different. Like this one has a wider front mount. That could make it better for you, if you need that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah they are all crap shoots and they all need some upgrades to be the best they can be in my opinion.

the last BGF large mount engine I bought had very smooth intake & exhaust ports and zero burs in them, and this engine purs like a kitten.....runs real strong and is pretty darn smooth too, I can cruise for miles & miles at 30-32MPH comfortably and never miss a beat and I havedone nothing to this engine so far, other than NGK plug, my own free flowing exhaust, better plug wire and NGK boot, I did tune/rejet the carb. but nothing internal at all, never even had the head off this one, it is still in the break in period with only 170 miles on it and I been running it almost everyday for the last couple of weeks, it will hit 38-40mph and the flat with no head wind with my 36T sprocket on the bike....I've been real happy with this one so far.....and plan to upgrade the wrist pin bearing and do some transfer port work and such after about 250 -300 miles when I have the time.

I hope the engine you get is as good as the one I have now and the one my buddy has just like the one you ordered, if so you will be very pleased once you get some miles on her and get the carb and exhaust tuned in.......best wishes bro.

Peace

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got my new X80 motor kit today. All I can comment on at this time is the way it looks.

It was well packaged. Information in the box reveals that this motor comes from the Pizhou Yongxing Gasoline Engine Factory.

The entire motor is painted some kind of silver color, including the head bolts. I'm not wild about it but it's Ok.

The intake manifold is alloy. The front motor mount is 1 1/2". The kit comes with a beloved NT carb.

The cylinder casting looks superior to the SkyHawk 80 I've had in my hands, and slightly better than a ZB 48 engine I've had in my hands.

Another item of interest is the clutch arm. Instead of a normal, short straight arm, this engine has a slightly longer arm that has a bend in it that angles toward the cable guide.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I got my new X80 motor kit today. All I can comment on at this time is the way it looks.

It was well packaged. Information in the box reveals that this motor comes from the Pizhou Yongxing Gasoline Engine Factory.

The entire motor is painted some kind of silver color, including the head bolts. I'm not wild about it but it's Ok.

The intake manifold is alloy. The front motor mount is 1 1/2". The kit comes with a beloved NT carb.

The cylinder casting looks superior to the SkyHawk 80 I've had in my hands, and slightly better than a ZB 48 engine I've had in my hands.

Another item of interest is the clutch arm. Instead of a normal, short straight arm, this engine has a slightly longer arm that has a bend in it that angles toward the cable guide.

Yes you have the PK-80 engine that I think is a better build engine as far as fit and finish than some of the others, the longer clutch arm is for better leverage an alignment with the cable as it come from under the carb.....

The silver paint is something I like about the X80A, it gives it a good uniform finish and makes it look as though it has had a bit more attention to detail than a raw Chinalum finish.

One thing you will find is that the Muffler on that engine is very quite and could be more restrictive than you like, but a friend of mine who also has that same engine is getting around 34MPH with 72:1 Opti 2 and a 44T sprocket and just a moderately tuned carb and NO other mods and his runs nice and smooth too, I've rode the bike and it is a very sweet riding bike with that engine on it.

I hope you have the same results as he has, if so you will be very happy with that engine, I have a brand new lower of that engine I plan to build up real nice for a shifter bike.

Best wishes with the new BGF engine, break it in right and have some fun.

Peace

brnot

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes you have the PK-80 engine that I think is a better build engine as far as fit and finish than some of the others, the longer clutch arm is for better leverage an alignment with the cable as it come from under the carb.....

The silver paint is something I like about the X80A, it gives it a good uniform finish and makes it look as though it has had a bit more attention to detail than a raw Chinalum finish.

One thing you will find is that the Muffler on that engine is very quite and could be more restrictive than you like, but a friend of mine who also has that same engine is getting around 34MPH with 72:1 Opti 2 and a 44T sprocket and just a moderately tuned carb and NO other mods and his runs nice and smooth too, I've rode the bike and it is a very sweet riding bike with that engine on it.

I hope you have the same results as he has, if so you will be very happy with that engine, I have a brand new lower of that engine I plan to build up real nice for a shifter bike.

Best wishes with the new BGF engine, break it in right and have some fun.

Peace

brnot
Thanks, that's a nice picture.

I wasn't that impressed with the SkyHawk 80 I just tuned. I hope this motor is better.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
brnot
I've heard the term PK 80. What's that stand for?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've heard the term PK 80. What's that stand for?
Not sure actually, I suppose it is a descriptive thing kinda like Skyhawk or Starfire or Raw or Jet GT5, GT4, ect........

The "PK-80" is of coarse a 66cc but this particular engine is the only one I have ever seen that comes with the extended & slightly bent clutch actuator arm, all of the others I've seen have the straight arm and are shorter, another thing is the shiny gray paint job... which most others dont have either maybe some but none that I have had did eccept the PK-80 model.

I just figured the factory in China that makes this particuler engine did these things different for possibly three reasons,

1. The extended Clutch actuator arm is an upgrade because it does take some of the load off the clutch handle and makes applying the clutch easier.

2. The shiny painted engine just makes it look like there was more attention to detail, which of coarse there was by going that extra step to improve the overall looks.

3. To stand out from the rest, ( use an upgreaded clutch arm different from the rest and add a paint job to give the perception of better quality, which in my opinion it does just that) this may have been done to accomplish the very reason we are having this discussion right now......

I thought the PK part might have something to do witht the organization/factory that makes them but the best I can find at least one place that makes these engines is called...
Wuyi Tiandi Motion Apparatus Co., Ltd. (TDR MOTO) is located in Jinhua City, Zhejiang Province of China

So I cant find any reason for the PK in that, but someone else may actually know the answer to this mini mystery...

Anyway this is all the info. I have dug up on this so far....

??????????????????????????????????????.............!

Peace

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is probably why these exhaust systems are so quite. Not much noise is going to get out of there. I better give it some help.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is probably why these exhaust systems are so quite. Not much noise is going to get out of there. I better give it some help.

I would suggest any baffle to replace that baffled-up baffle, but better yet, an expansion chamber.....any expansion chamber at that rate will do. That thing looks stiffled to say the least.

dnut

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I bought a replacement engine about a month ago from LEB. It also had the extra wide motor mount. It fit my Huffy Cranbrook perfectly! The castings were pretty decent. One cooling fin was bent, but I was able to straighten it out with a screwdriver. Haven't really been able to break her in yet, due to some minor tuning issues. I just received an SBP carb o-ring courtesy of MikeB. That should take care of the last of the issues.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I would suggest any baffle to replace that baffled-up baffle, but better yet, an expansion chamber.....any expansion chamber at that rate will do. That thing looks stiffled to say the least.

dnut
This exhaust isn't as bad as it looks. Well actually I guess it is until I fix it lol. The only problem it has is these two tubes being pinched shut. I opened them up by driving a screwdriver through them.

This exhaust is actually kind of sophisticated. It has 3 chambers. This restricted one is chamber #1. After getting past these tubes, the exhaust flow is ducted into chamber #3, which is all the way down by the end cap. From there, 2 other totally unrestricted tubes reverse the flow into the 2nd chamber, which is in the middle of the muffler. From there the exhaust flows out a single unrestricted pipe to the atmosphere.

I'm going to try to get it to work.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This exhaust isn't as bad as it looks. Well actually I guess it is until I fix it lol. The only problem it has is these two tubes being pinched shut. I opened them up by driving a screwdriver through them.

This exhaust is actually kind of sophisticated. It has 3 chambers. This restricted one is chamber #1. After getting past these tubes, the exhaust flow is ducted into chamber #3, which is all the way down by the end cap. From there, 2 other totally unrestricted tubes reverse the flow into the 2nd chamber, which is in the middle of the muffler. From there the exhaust flows out a single unrestricted pipe to the atmosphere.

I'm going to try to get it to work.
Most of those muffs I've taken apart (or cut open) have three chambers with diff configurations. As you have done opening up those 2 tubes and then enlarging all of the holes inside the baffle will get it to breath better yet still have ample back pressure. That pipe will be fine.

dnut

love the mounting studs for the end cap laff