true centrifical clutch

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
They have a "REAL" centrifical clutch, but If you want a kit like that I high recommend you NOT order from Kings or Gasbike.net they are the same people and there are loads of complaints about there service and they almost always substitute what you order with what ever they have on hand, never answer emails or phone calls and some have even never recieved their orders if I remember correctly.

Here is a kit from BGF that has the centrifical clutch, I have gotten all my engines from him without a glitch, and he answers his mail.....everytime I have ask him anything I needed or wanted to know...

bicycle Motorized GAS ENGINE KIT 80cc centrifugal dual | eBay

Remember that if you do go with one of these kits, you will need wider peddle cranks to clear the pull starter and the clutch housing on the other side as well, these engines are wider than the standard engines and your peddles will likely hit the engine unless you get wider cranks or mod the ones you have now by reshaping them if they are steel cranks and you have a torch to heat them up with.

Best wishes........Peace

I like this kit GRUBEE SkyHawk GT2B 66c/80cc Slant Head (Black Finish) Bike Engine Kit - Gas Bike Motor Kit

I see it has a centrifugal clutch but I don't see pics of it. Is it the regular clutch just renamed or a true centrifugal clutch like a mini bike or pocket bike would have?

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nah, gasbike rocks!

Send in your order and you get an immediate "shipped" notification.

When you check, you see it's "electronic info received"

And then you get your parts 2 months later.

What a great outfit. I'm going to use them from now on because that way, I have to sell all the stuff after I get it and lose money because I had to find some other way of doing what I need to do and I don't need it anymore when it arrives.

Gasbike Rocks!

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
well I wasn't going to do crap with them but they had the motor i wanted to get info on so i posted that link
thats a funny vid

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
OK thanks man one last dumb question
what is the good or best performance carb on this website for that motor and how does it compare with the CNS high performance carb that normally comes on this kit

i promise last dumb qu lol

thanks

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you buy a kit with the centrifugal clutch already installed, note that it is press-fit onto the taper of the crankshaft, there is no Woodruff key, or keyway locking the two together.

There have been cases of the clutch assembly slipping on the shaft and machining away the taper. There are some posts here in this forum about that.

You then have to machine a keyway into the clutch and install a Woodruff key onto the crankshaft to get it working again.

I bought my centrifugal clutch separately and did the keyway modification right away, and have had zero problems.

I post this info, just so that you are aware of what might happen, and how to solve the problem.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is very good info.

I remember reading about this issue a few people had.

I'll bet if a person got some fine valve lapping compound and did a good lap job from the get go and thencleaned both surfaces very good and then put some BLUE LOCTITE on the crank before reinstalling the clutch, that baby would stay put..... I've done this little trick on the flywheels of small 4 stroke engines to get them to quit shearing flywheel keys and it works everytime....

Just a thought to go along with your great info. rohmell

Peace

If you buy a kit with the centrifugal clutch already installed, note that it is press-fit onto the taper of the crankshaft, there is no Woodruff key, or keyway locking the two together.

There have been cases of the clutch assembly slipping on the shaft and machining away the taper. There are some posts here in this forum about that.

You then have to machine a keyway into the clutch and install a Woodruff key onto the crankshaft to get it working again.

I bought my centrifugal clutch separately and did the keyway modification right away, and have had zero problems.

I post this info, just so that you are aware of what might happen, and how to solve the problem.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dont ever under estimate the holding strength of a nice mated tapered surface, it's a very reliable hold, and with no more power than these engines produce would probably be more than enough for them if done right.

But you are right in that if you drill down the mating surface of the clutch/crank with say a 1/8" bit and then drive a roll pin into that hole it will for sure be ther from now on and also be easy to take apart if needed...

I suggested the method I did because not all people have a drillpress or other shop tools to do that kind of work, and I know the lapping of the surfaces and the Blue Loctite is something that just about anyone could do to help insure they dont have a slipping problem with the centrifical clutched engine, but yes a key or roll pin is the very best way to go no doubt....!

Peace

I'll take a key or a roll pin over glue anyday.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
i have read about that yea i don't have a lathe more a miller or anything right now but there is a small machine/speed shop just down the road they will do that for me for cheap

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
Hey mapbike, man you have been of much help but one last qu.?
on the website you gave me the link of do you happen to know what is the best performance carb. they got there?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had two of these engines from BGF. The first one did the slipping and was a hassle trying to get it to work. It is a poor design and should be made with a keyway. A customer should not have to modify a new engine to make it work. I think it is one reason few of the vendors handle this motor... too many problems with the automatic clutch. I will say that when it worked I loved it. Didn't love it so much when the bike no longer moved. I had already ordered a second engine with the automatic from BGF and it was a dud from the start. It went 10 feet and no longer worked. I never got any satisfaction from Rick on the big issues. Little stuff was fine, but a whole engine? no help at all other than some lame possible fixes I could do. The situation was finally resolved when both engines burned up in a truck fire. I have stayed away from the automatic since. Others have had better luck. If you get one, be forewarned and don't try running it while it slips as it will eat metal quickly.
SB

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I think from what I hear the Chinese motors are OK if you put them together well. I am not worried about the clutch i can put a key way in it in a day thanks to a local speed shop. I don't want to fiddle with the regular clutch later so I am going with this.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is probably the best he has in my opinion.... gas bicycle Motorized BIKE ENGINE Carburetor w on/off S | eBay

I ordered one of the RT carbs from Thats Dax back on the 15th, I haven't got it yet and cant say from personal experience how it is, but Tom ( 2door ) told me he has one and it works very good with slight increase in power and speed, like all of the carb it will need rejetting for it to proform at it's best on these 2 smokers, another option is the Delorto's that Piratecycles sells, I just didn't want to spend almost $70 on a carb. myself.....

Have a look and be prepared to rejet all the carbs you use, not hard but has to be done to get good performance....and plenty of info. on here to walk you through the proccess if need be.

Hey mapbike, man you have been of much help but one last qu.?
on the website you gave me the link of do you happen to know what is the best performance carb. they got there?

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sounds like you're on the right track to making it solid from the very start, this will help eliminate that issue before it ever has a chance to ruin your day....and that is exactly what I would do as well.

Peace and best wishes on the build

I think from what I hear the Chinese motors are OK if you put them together well. I am not worried about the clutch i can put a key way in it in a day thanks to a local speed shop. I don't want to fiddle with the regular clutch later so I am going with this.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I think that you will like the centrifugal clutch, especially if you are in an area where there are many stop signs and have to do a lot of stop and go riding. Doing that with a clutch got old very quickly for me, and now, all my builds will have a centrifugal clutch on them.