What's the longest you've sat and stared at your motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: What's the longest you've sat and stared at your MB

I'm addicted to audio books. I put a CD in my garage player and I can sit, listen and stare at my bikes until my butt goes to sleep. Great therapy for an old retired guy, but probably not the best cardiovascular work.
Tom

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al

This is the saddist thread I think I've ever read but on a brighter note, I think I feel better about me now.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

when i'm building a new bike, i stare at the parts for hours, see them in my sleep, wake up in the middle of the night to either write down ideas or actually go out and look at the bike.

when it's finished, i'll stare at it for the first few days, then it's everyone else's turn...:)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

baird - I think if ya don't do that while buildin', yer doin' it wrong lol

ofc... I might jus' be tryin' to excuse my own habit of settin' there for hours tryin' to figure how all the pieces fit :p

scratg

^one of my favorite emotes here heh

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I agree that it is part of the build process and then the satisfaction phase when it is all together. I call it "creative staring".
SB

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada

I know that phase in all of my projects well . I am currently getting the greatest kick out of others looking at an other project of mine . So far a picture of my project has over 210,000 hits . People have told me that they just stare at it . I'm like a proud papa . I have a hard time getting rid of my work as well . I still have the first project that I made in shop class in grade 7 , over 40 years ago . ...... D.J.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

At home, at the beach or online ? :)

I slept next to a pimped moondog for years ! :) Parked right next to the bed !

Loved seeing her first thing in the morning when I woke ! :)

She is gone now because I am that way. :(

Need to build another just like her and keep it next to my bed.

Helps stay more focused about the important things in my life ! :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
lol i just saw this thread while working on the forum and it gave me a little chuckle, i know i have stared at my motorized bicycles for hours at a time dreaming and thinking what to do next. glad i am not the only one

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I can't sit still that long, but I tend towards thinking while tinkering.. My mind's eye is currently working on the autobike build; trying different colours, debating finish along with that (flat, matte, gloss...) and so on.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
lol i just saw this thread while working on the forum and it gave me a little chuckle, i know i have stared at my motorized bicycles for hours at a time dreaming and thinking what to do next. glad i am not the only one
My 'current build' bike stall is 8' away from my office chair which I spend a great deal of time in.

I don't spend much time looking at basic builds, it's complex ones I spends hours just looking at thinking about how to proceed.

I'd guess I have 20 hours just staring at this build over the last 2 weeks and it's still not done, actually I was just sitting here staring at it before I popped in here.

All that is left is to get a tensioner in between the 4G output sprocket and JS sprocket ~6" away as the motor simply can't be moved.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
5 minutes. I have a short attention span.

I haven't stared at my my Bonneville for over 5 minutes either.

Nor cars. I don't just sit or stand and stare at stuff. I'll work on for hours, but just stare at it? Nah, not me.

But I do go out in the garage and stroke them - :) Squeeze the brakes, pinch the tires, twist the grips, dust'em off. Hands on.

Nah, never just sit and stare.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm the original "creative staring" guy. Not for great lengths of time in a staring, but often during the build... for no particular purpose... just running my eyes over the build. Sometimes something doesn't seem right and then I can see something better in my mind's eye and make a change. Other times I'm just appreciating the lines or the vintage engine, maybe visualizing something that isn't there yet... jack shaft or chain tensioner, handlebars. Having a cup of coffee is about long enough, but over the course of a build it adds up I suppose. The longer the build, the more the creative staring. I find it useful.
SB

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
A basketball coach once told me I could practice shooting anywhere by just picturing in my mind myself doing it. It not only worked for BB, but I've used that for many endeavors over the years. Sounds as if we all do it. It seems as if I can predetermine how something will work by trying alternative trials in my mind. Staring at the machine must imprint the image to a point where your "day dreaming" is more profitable.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
My 'current build' bike stall is 8' away from my office chair which I spend a great deal of time in.

I don't spend much time looking at basic builds, it's complex ones I spends hours just looking at thinking about how to proceed.

I'd guess I have 20 hours just staring at this build over the last 2 weeks and it's still not done, actually I was just sitting here staring at it before I popped in here.

All that is left is to get a tensioner in between the 4G output sprocket and JS sprocket ~6" away as the motor simply can't be moved.
I stare at your bikes a lot too. :)

Last edited: