new but need advice

GoldenMotor.com

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
hey im stars & i live in philly & i have a 80cc motor & 415 chain. i just fixed my bike & the only problem i'm having is
the chaIN. every time I roll the bike forward the chain keep falling off & keeps getting stuck in the drive sprocket. i have to keep using a butter knife to pick out the jammed chain in my drive sprocket. any ideals or tip to keep the chain from falling off? i hear people say they recommend the # 41 chain. is it better then #415?
note i did drill hole in my frame

Attachments

Last edited:

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Looks like the chain needs to be shortened , try removing two links , also chain could be out of alignment , hard to tell with it being that loose .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This was moved to the 'Troubleshooting' section.

Tighten your chain. You want 1/2 inch to 3/4inch of slack. Your chain is way, way, too loose.

Also check your sprocket alignment and make sure the tensioner wheel is aligned with the chain. The bracket the tensioner wheel is on probably needs to be twisted to align the wheel with the chain path.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just had same thing today - looked at chain & it was marked XHD for extra heavy duty - haven't seen one like this for quite a while, but they don't fit the drive sprocket very well until they stretch a lot

you can use a diff chain or file the teeth of the drive sprocket to get it to fit

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Try moving the tensioner wheel up to the top of the slot, if its still loose you can remove one link and move the tensioner forward to compensate . you didn't drill a hole through the frame to mount the tensioner did you? If you did you will need to remove one link and order a half link to get it right.

Here's what you need.
http://www.piratecycles1.com/li415ch12li.html

Last edited:

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
i drilled a hole threw the frame. my bike was running good yesterday untill the chain keeps coming off & i can't remove any more links. if i do i won.t be able to connect the chain. i was also thinking to get a #41 chain. i gonna see if i can remove more links

Last edited:

crazyinsane51

Apr 2, 2012
Florida
I would remove more links. The chain is way to loose. Also make sure you put the master link on right. The open end of the clip needs to go in the opposite direction of the chain.

A #41 chain works great if you ever need one. It's a little bit wider and a lot stronger then the 415.