fuel filter question

GoldenMotor.com

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
ok this is the 3rd bike i have done and it does the same as the others. anytime i use an inline fuel filter i notice a decrease in engine performance,while riding i can see bubble forming in the line.ive tried mounting the filter and its the same.now when i remove the filter and use just a straight rubber line the power comes back and no boggin at all. with filter on 37mph with filter off 45.2 anyone else notice this? or have an idea on how i can run a filter that will not act like a weight on the line and add to increased vibration on the line and bad performance?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Here's the thing- try this.

Take the hose off of the carb and with a full tank, let the hose drain into a gas can. How long does it take with the filter vs. without it. That will tell you if there is a restriction.

However, that does not tell the story. How long does it take to drain with the filter? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? 5 minutes? If i take longer than a few (very few) minutes, look at the petcock (like Pablo said). If the tank does not run dry quickly, assuming a clean filter, it's not the filter.

If you ran your engine flat out under load for however long it took your tank to drain, could you empty the tank? No, of course not. This means that with the filter, that hose can supply more gas than the engine could ever use. Look at your fuel hose routing, the float, etc. The filter, all other things working correctly, will not restrict fuel flow enough to make any difference. Only if there is some other problem could the filter make enough difference to cause poor running.