Genesis 29er+ Kid's ATV engine= WINNING

GoldenMotor.com

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Is this a reputable site? If so, I will be getting all of my parts there. Good prices and I've seen all the parts I could ever want!
Really don't know if it's legit.

My practical experience with the clones is in re-engining Honda CT70's with the Lifan's .. pretty much the most mainstream for the Chinese clones. Beyond that, my online 'buying' was more centered around sourcing repro Honda CT and C70 parts that had a good rep on those specific bike-focused forums. I became somewhat familiar with the various chinese clone versions, during extensive searches for clone motor parts, related to cross-compatability. This is going back a few years now.

That link came up (amongst numerous others) with a varied keyword search on '72cc chinese clone honda electric start'. I recognize those cases as appearing most often on Loncin's. One of the very few of the clone manufacturer's (in my limited knowledge) to make that motor in 72cc AND a top-mounted electric starter. Lifan's version of that, is a 110cc or 125cc variant.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Does that engine have a 4-speed semi-auto or just single speed?

I love the electric start, wish I had one on my MotoPed, kick starting gets old when it's cold and you have pedals to deal with.

I bought this 86cc 4-speed on-line for under $300 delivered.

It has engine markings on the bottom left in the cast so might look there on yours.

These big 4-stroke engines have what is called an E22 Honda mount, 2 big bolts to the frame.
They also pack a lot of power so you are really going to need to beef up that frame, back wheel and brakes.

I was going to try to put mine in a 29" Macargi Fatal Love beach cruiser but after sitting it in there and feelings it's nearly 100 lb. weight I went looking for a better bike to mount it on and found the MotoPed frame.

In short it's a kick butt full suspension motorcycle frame with an E22 mount... and pedals.

I failed to snap a pic of mine completely rideable without the engine but man what an awesome bike!

$2K for everything but the engine and you have one of those.

The bike come as just a huge box filled with a bunch or other boxes, frame parts and the wheels you assemble yourself. Maybe not as rewarding as welding and beefing up a bicycle, but it won't fail when you hit a pot hole or curb, in fact you don't even feel them ;-}

Last edited:

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Unfortunately I only have a single speed. That frame is gorgeous! I would love it for around here, being a woodsy place...

But this build is a tightly budgeted one. Saving my pennies for parts is what it comes down to... I have to be as cheap as I can while still doing it safely. I am hoping to use the bolt holes at the bottom of the engine to mount it to a plate so I can better distribute the stress of the engine. I will use the top mount to tie into the backbone, too. My goal is to get a disc brake wheelset and use a hub adapter for the sprocket.

I'm hoping I can weld the mounting points to the frame, but again BUDGET. :p

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Also, I am curious... Has anyone been able to rig up an oil pump to maintain good upper cylinder lubrication? I was hoping to find a solution so I feel better about that... Just in case my angle is still a bit much..

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I finally got my clutch cover off. Everything seems to be real good! The bell however seems a bit sloppy. I'm not sure if this is just how it sits or what.

Sorry, it's blurry...

Here is that same branding... Hmmmmm!

Also, I have been seeing how the oil pump works, and don't think I'll be needing an external one like I was dreading. It seems the pickup is in a good spot and I'm happy to say that even the oil screen was pretty well clean. What a relief!

Last edited:

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I have been realizing that when the time comes to lock down the mounting situation, I may not be able to reduce it's incline much more than pictured here. If this is the case (Which I know I can at least raise the rear 2-3 inches.

This being said, I will have to plug the existing oil fill port and drill and tap myself a new one to fill and check levels with.

Has anyone heard of this being a good idea? That level does submerse a third of the wet centrifugal clutch, but the rear of the case only has two transmission gears, so there won't be any difficulties with the oil level. As long as the sump is submerged.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Does that engine have a 4-speed semi-auto or just single speed?

I love the electric start, wish I had one on my MotoPed, kick starting gets old when it's cold and you have pedals to deal with.

I bought this 86cc 4-speed on-line for under $300 delivered.

It has engine markings on the bottom left in the cast so might look there on yours.

These big 4-stroke engines have what is called an E22 Honda mount, 2 big bolts to the frame.
An 86cc is a BIG 4-stroke engine? laff wow...huge laff

That engine looks good in the Genesis frame.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Harbor Freight Predator OHV horizontal shaft gas engine
Engine displacement: 212cc
Horsepower: 6.5
Maximum speed: 3,600 rpm

88cc big bore semi-auto Honda CRF50 XR50 clone
Engine displacement: 88cc
Horsepower: 6
Maximum speed: 7,500 rpm

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Harbor Freight Predator OHV horizontal shaft gas engine
Engine displacement: 212cc
Horsepower: 6.5
Maximum speed: 3,600 rpm

88cc big bore semi-auto Honda CRF50 XR50 clone
Engine displacement: 88cc
Horsepower: 6
Maximum speed: 7,500 rpm
Scotto's HF Predator OHV horizontal shaft 110 octane gas engine
Engine displacement: 217cc
Horsepower: 25
Maximum speed: 9,000 rpm

And yes.......it's bark is as bad as it's bite......loves too race, hates too fight!

Keep up the good work Motojoe2492, your bike looks great!

alesterfeind

Nov 18, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
I have a question. Where can you get tires for these 29 inch wheel cruisers? I have a Huffy Millennial, and I need new tires on it. I ordered a set of 29x2.25 tires of Amazon, but they don't fit, so they are going back. My bike has 29x2.125, so I can't figure out why they wouldn't fit.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Thanks, Scotto! That bike sure sounds mean, do you have any videos of you tearing up the track???

I have a question. Where can you get tires for these 29 inch wheel cruisers? I have a Huffy Millennial, and I need new tires on it. I ordered a set of 29x2.25 tires of Amazon, but they don't fit, so they are going back. My bike has 29x2.125, so I can't figure out why they wouldn't fit.
I haven't needed to buy tires just yet. I am surprised that those didn't work though. Maybe just a bad brand?

I would buy from Amazon as well, or a bicycle part website. dance1

alesterfeind

Nov 18, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
The front tire on mine is the original, which is fine. It's the back tire the previous owner replaced with a knobby trail tire, which is not the smoothest ride. I will try my local bike shop and see what they have.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Hey! I am going to order a piston and ring kit soon. Then I will just need to get a gasket set and throw her back together!

Lately I have been doing a bit of cleaning to occupy my time!

The JB weld is an eyesore, that's for sure...

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I am trying to decide on a mount for this baby. I am thinking something like what you get with the 4stroke kits. There are four threaded mounting holes on the bottom of my engine, and instead of trying to weld on some sort of mount, I might try one of these

I am going to have the top tied to the backbone with a bracket, too. I want this thing sturdy and not putting too much stress on any given spot on the frame. Anyone know the dimensions of these plates?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No way will that plate bolt up to your frame with the long head and cylinder hanging out the front. This mount is designed to fit a standard 4stroke into the V of the frame, and your MUCH longer ATV engine will not allow it to fit as is.
The mounting surface for your engine is towards the rear, under the shifter, and the head and jug stick WAY out in front compared to a normal single cylinder 4 stroke.
Retail bicycle frame mounts simply do not fit these engines.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
That makes a lot of sense... So much for finding the easy way out hahaha.

Oh well, I can't say that I'm upset about custom fabrication!

Thanks for the insight :)