just started a new 4 stroke build

GoldenMotor.com

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i left my bikes back in mi so i figured its time to build a new bike, but this time with a 4 stroke so far im having a much easier time than with the 2 strokes, and looking at the gearing i should be able to get what i want out of this bike with alot less effort than the 2 strokes ive had heres a few pics of the new bike and a few of my old bikes

Last edited:

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
Looks like you have all the basics - I'll bet if I was starting on a new project I'd have a batch of parts that appear similar to yours, including the 4-stroke.
Looking forward to future photos.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
heres a almost done pic (only thing missing is the chain) had to pedal 6 miles across town to get a new chain breaker (broke my cheap one >.<) ill post more as i upgrade and add to it, on a side note im really loving this new clairmont frame ,and man have i been missing out on the 4 stroke goodness, still love my china dolls but this 4 stroke is my new fav next to get a shift kit and a few disc brake adapters for front and rear and i think ill have a solid bike that will last

on a side note pedaling the weight of this bike for 6 miles is not to bad but also not very fun

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
im having a slight problem with my wide crank sprocket only half of the sprocket my chain fits the other half doesnt set on the teeth right at all

MtDave

Jun 22, 2013
Missoula, Montana
If you don't mind would you tell us which 4-stroke kit you decided on and why? I'm new and still working out the decision making process of the difference in kits offered. 4G -7G and soon 10G, so many to choose from.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i spent about 4 weeks looking at all the kits available reading reviews on each and what others had to say about each kit there's a few good ones out there but the kit i picked had the best gearbox and best parts for my buck even thou its a bit more pricey its well worth it, in the end its up to you and what you want to get out of a kit each kit has its good and bad parts

i was looking at 3 different kits and decided to go with this one
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html

these 2 were my next pick

i didnt like the gearbox on this one looked cheap
http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...g-pull-start-bicycle-engine-kit-4-stroke.html

this kit looked good but didnt get many good reviews from others and alot of the parts seemed flimsy its close to the kit i went with but not close enough also the 12t sprocket didn't free wheel
http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/ghost-racer-4-stroke-kit.html?scart_affiliate_id=168

in my opinion if im going to be spending 200 + for something i better get what i want and it should be of good quality otherwise i just wasted every penny i just spent, and after my first ride with this kit im highly satisfied with my kit and the way it performs

Last edited:

MtDave

Jun 22, 2013
Missoula, Montana
Thanks for the information on your decision making process, being a newbie it is really easy to not make the best choices. I bought a Firmstrong Chief bike for my first 4-stroke build but now find myself needing to fabricate an engine mount.

This is the bike
http://www.beachbikes.net/collectio...rong-chief-7-speed-mens-26-beach-cruiser-bike

I wanted to mount the engine right above the chainguard and the span is approx 15".

I bought the same kit you did for the same reasons you did, plus it is closer to home than everyone else.

I also picked up http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/44-tooth-cnc-sprocket-adapter.html

That purchase was based entirely on price, when I ordered it they were 25% off and free shipping on the entire order. I'm hoping the 44 tooth will work ok.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
you could try getting a second mounting plate and bolt them together to give you the extra lenght to mount the motor

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
well ive been having a few issues with high rpms and the motor acting like its starved for air so i was looking at info to adjust the carb and upon watching a video about the carb i found out my choke lever is completely missing >.< it looks like it got snapped off at some point and i didnt find it in the box the motor came in

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i hate the cheap brakes they put on the wal mart bikes

not even a week and they don't work well at all swapped them out for some mountain bike pads and it stops great now

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...this 4 stroke is my new fav
next to get a shift kit
Nice build!

You can really wake up it's performance with the following:

Pull off the box exhaust and put a real pipe on, a 2-stroke pipe can be made to work.

Get an NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) Iridium spark plug and pull out the CCV hose from the air filter and put it in a catch can for the crank case waste.

The 4G transfer case was a good choice.
Looks like the 100T, is yours a freewheel 100T pulley or freewheel sprocket?

A shift kit is pretty much a must for me with the HS 142's and they sure make a difference.

SickBikeParts make a nice shift kit for the 142/4G combo.
Their new base design is spot on for motor mounts now too.

Also note you don't have to be a slave to the 4G motor mount holes.
I didn't want to put a super wide crank in this fat tire so I oriented the 4G so the bottom of the cover was just above the left pedal.

With small slots for the mount bolt holes you can tension your left side JS chain by orienting the 4G.
Actually that is a new 10G but the same base, just a different output shaft and 100T freewheel design.

You can also handle right side chain tension pretty easy with your kits chain tension wheel.

Just drill a slot in the base and put it there.

The fat tire was too cramped for the stock carb and air cleaner so I put an NT on a Z intake on it and it runs great.

When you get to wanting to make it a shifter get ahold of me.
I have some special parts coming and working on a new 4-stroke shifting system based on what you already have.

In short a jackshaft, without the extra shaft, sprocket or chain.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
I got the Clairmont for 2 reasons 1 it has front and rear pull breaks and 2 it has a 7 speed shift on it figured it would make things easier when I get a shift kit