Schwinn High Timber hi speed build

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Rag joint is driving me crazy! whats the best alternative for the rag joint. Will i need to measure the diameter of my hub before purchasing, or can i just assume i have the
Pirate adapter: 1.183-1.190 modus.
or the
sportsman will it fit all, i want a 36t
I can't pull up kingssalesandservice today for some reason.

Someone please help, im tired of fiddling with the rag joint.
Today i threw the chain from my idler sprocket rag joint setup, so i switched back to the plastic roller bushing, and saw my sprocket was out of balance. I want to get a set up where i can leave the 36 or smaller sprocket on, after it is set once and never fiddle again.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Rag joint is driving me crazy! whats the best alternative for the rag joint. Will i need to measure the diameter of my hub before purchasing, or can i just assume i have the
Pirate adapter: 1.183-1.190 modus.
or the
sportsman will it fit all, i want a 36t
I can't pull up kingssalesandservice today for some reason.

Someone please help, im tired of fiddling with the rag joint.
Today i threw the chain from my idler sprocket rag joint setup, so i switched back to the plastic roller bushing, and saw my sprocket was out of balance. I want to get a set up where i can leave the 36 or smaller sprocket on, after it is set once and never fiddle again.
If I were you I'd definitely measure the hub to be sure. If there's a size avilable that fits, then the Pirate Cycle adapter is a very good plan.

If there doesn't happen to be a size for your hub, then you'll need to either have a different hub laced to your wheel, or get a different wheel.

Pirate also has good deals on wheels, just in case.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you have to go with buying a different hub, you might want to consider a disk brake hub. That way you could use a Kings Top Hat adapter which is actually slightly superior to a Pirate adapter.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
just took off my head. is the gritty black stuff bad? what does it mean. Also, if someone could explain how the 50cc hi hi is a better design internally, im getting curious and itchy trigger finger to buy from treatland.

I see someone with reed block and ported cylinder 15.15 carb and 50cc hi hi on with SBP exhaust and i wonder if that set up worked for them

Attachments

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
also ordered these:
Head Gasket for 67cc Chinese Engine, 8mm studs(blown one on my other motor)
LINK 415 Chain 1/2 link
LINK 415 Master Link(after a day of playing with the chain thought this might be a better way to go)
Muffler for SBP Expansion Chamber(keep the natives happy)
NGK B6HS Spark Plug(per biknut's suggestion)
Plug Wire - High Performance

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Installed the high performance spark plug wire and the b6 plug. I also rewired my kill switch and put on a 24" 1.75 semislick with a 44t sprocket. spark plug wire was the crucial bit that has fixed my high rpm power problems. 28mph on 24" x 44t on flats WOT
woot!

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
here are some pictures of the new head and my bike currently.
it looks crazy how much bigger the puch head is compared to the straight head. the slant head is way smaller than either of them, i imagine it doesnt provice much cooling at all.

I wrapped the exhaust pipe and the intake. I think it makes it quieter, but the stock exhaust is pretty quiet anyway. SBP plug wire is much nicer to deal with than the kit plug wire, as you can see from the picture it just drapes down. Also at some point i put the fuel tank in the typical front position, i think that has helped the weight distribution a lot, it feels a lot more balanced.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Installed the high performance spark plug wire and the b6 plug. I also rewired my kill switch and put on a 24" 1.75 semislick with a 44t sprocket. spark plug wire was the crucial bit that has fixed my high rpm power problems. 28mph on 24" x 44t on flats WOT
woot!
Sounds like your high rpm problems are fixed. With a tire that size and a 44T sprocket 28 mph is going to be something like 7500 rpm. China girls tend to blow up somewhere between 7500, and 8500 rpm depending on the motor.

I'm thinking a Flying Horse will tolerate high rpm a little better than most brands, because they have lighter pistons, and japanese bearings.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I got a little trigger happy today and tried to install teh puch head and i couldnt get it to seal properly. I couldnt get it to turn over and when i took the head off there was oil leaking from the plug, and out of 2 sides of the head. I was saving my new head gasket for the reed valve kit, so i guess i will go back to running the stock head until everything gets here.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
here are pictures of my jb weld job on the carb.

Does anyone have any hard data on how much opening up the intake tube from stock improves top speed or torque or hp or anything?

I think i might take the dremel to it.
All those bends and JB weld aren't going to do anything but slow you down . That manifold is way to long , Get rid of all that copper pipe .

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Just got my arrow reed valve and ported cylinder in the mail. Should i change my jetting and clip position. Im not sure how this tuning works. I put it on and fired it up and it ran, but then immediately spluttered and died. I had the full choke on and i figured i better rejet first. Im putting in the 70 but i wonder if i should go bigger or what.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Well, i put in the #72 jet i ordered from SBP and the engine runs with the reeds and the clip in the 2nd position. It cranks right up on full choke, then i have to bump it to half choke and rev it up a bit. about 30 seconds later i can take off and it won't bog down at all.

now on to exhaust issues:
I am running the stock muffler for sound reasons, but i have the expansion chamber from bgf. Its too loud right now.

I ordered a expansion off a dirtbike (honda cr80 its huge! )per suggestion of someone in the forum but i need to mod it to fit and wrap it as it will surely touch my leg if i dont. and i bought a silencer from SBP i want to put on the end somehow.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Its been wet for a few days and ive been working on the bike. I had a pinch flat the other day which prompted me to switch my rear tire to a kenda 1.95 26" rim wiht 36t sprocket.
also got my jaguar cdi in the mail today.
Finally i installed my 10t sprocket idler and meticulously inspected and got my chainline dialed in very straight.

I still have to get a tuned expansion chamber, and install the hi compression head. I havent had time or space to do this yet.