RAW Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
So from what I've seeing on here, Raw is one of the best HT engines available and everybody seems to say they have the best warranty. I was looking at their website and there is one thing that stood out when I was reading their "Product Requirements" for the 80cc kit.

"Product requirements

For installing this kit the buyer may need some basic hardware skills and tools. The average time to complete this installation ranges anywhere from 2-3 hours. Seller is not responsible for misuse of this kit or any warranty after installation."

It's the last sentence that stuck out to me. No warranty after installation?? What the **** is that?

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
That's weird, because I could have sworn that they had a 6 month warranty as long as the problem wasn't caused by user error.

Either way, I'm still pleased with my Raw engine. Haven't really had many problems that weren't caused by my stupidity. The only parts I've had to replace are external ones. I've never had to replace any critical components to the engine itself.

Even if there isn't a good warranty, I figure if anything messes up I just buy new parts. It's really not that hard to buy a new cylinder jug and piston and replace them.

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
It is weird. It says 6 month warranty, and then there is that little disclaimer. Has anybody had to rma their raw motors or parts?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Why would they be warrantied? They are made in china, and you can put a new one on your bike and blow it up within 5 minutes with a 44T. Easy to do.

Yeah, I'm prolly exaggerating, but am I lying? No, I was blowing them up in '06 before there were MaB forums for us.
The chinairl is a copy of 1930's early Soviet technology.

Don't get me wrong: I am not totally dissing it. The chinagirl is the standard MaB engine, and the engine most newbs start with.
Some people here are very successful with them. I myself have had so much fun running them. I will definitely buy another.
When chinagirls are happy you may not stop grinnin. :D

BUT, the chinese Honda clones are way more reliable in general. China copied a better engine. See: Huasheng, Harbor Freight, Greyhound, Blue Max.
There are more help threads per chinagirls owned than all the 4-stroke combined.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Bubba I have now been involved with six builds and no problems. What I do is remove the spark plug and drop the piston down and use compresed air to blow any small debris out from the intake to the exhaust. I know this may be overkill but hey air doesn't cost much. None of these kits were from RAW, I believe they test run their engines after building them so it should be o/k. I going to start a bgf kit build tuesday and will do the same to it.

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I just thought it was odd that it stated 6 month warranty and then had the disclaimer not responsible for warranty after installation. I realize these aren't precision machines and all, but holy cow. Talk about sounding like politicians. lol

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I'll probably disassemble it and inspect everything real good. Go around it and do the lock-tite thing and all. Doe anybody know if they still have the straight plug motors?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
What it says is...

6. All Raw brand engines come with a 6 month warranty on the actual engine only. Any seizure of engine cause by burn from incorrect mixture of fuel and oil will void your warranty.

7. Raw only warranties the engine. The parts are not warranted. If you have a DOA part you have 24 hours of time of delivery to claim a replacement.

Vice

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
Just ordered mine on Friday, I'll let u know. Received order confirm right away as well as the money was removed from my visa immediately. So their site works...

I wasn't however charged any tax... Maybe because I ordered from Canada?? Don't really wanna call and complain if u know what I mean.

Vice

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
Still no word,

I also have requested tracking numbers by email and have had no response, I'll give em another week and then call.

I can't take daydreaming about ripping thru my golf course much longer I have to DO it!

Vice

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
Can anybody point me to some threads with tips or techniques for mounting the raw motor onto a bike that has larger tubing? My tubes are much larger than the 29mm tubing they say is the max for the mounts. I really don't want to drill my new bike either so I'm hoping to either make new or modify the mounts that came with it.

Vice

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
I figured that would be the answer. after looking a bit closer at the pic of the universal, a quick trip to the hardware store and a good excuse to dustoff my drill press... I can't see it being too challenging.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I figured that would be the answer. after looking a bit closer at the pic of the universal, a quick trip to the hardware store and a good excuse to dustoff my drill press... I can't see it being too challenging.
Yeah, I made my own, but only because I had to. One of the bolts busted off into the engine, so I had to get a plate and bolt it on to the motor. Two bolts run from both sides of the plate to another plate on the other side of the bike frame which I made out of a door hinge. It works very well and it's wide enough to fit most frames. Almost went with the u-bolt.

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I was thinking about just getting some small steel tubing and drilling a whole in the frame and welding it in. That way I don't have to worry about a crushed frame and there will be less likelihood of it snapping. I just haven't decided if I am gonna go with 2 small tubes welded into the frame or 1 for the adapter. Don't like the adapter to much.