internal gear hub help.

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
the main reason for the IGH is that I have a cruiser frame and i dont want to widen the rear forks to accept the freewheel

this is my bike
http://http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28190

as you can see, i have the HD hub plus drum brake. I have broken spokes at the moment and I dont want to fix the bike without going some sort of upgrade first.

I forgot to mention that I want to use the the bike as a commuter to work. I spend most of the time on a shared ped/bike path. I limit myself to 25/30km/h so top speed, is not number on the top of the list. plus i dont want to be an ******* to everyone else. I am sick of the single speed especially, as I cannot maintain speed up hills.

IGH is the way for me. the S/A is cheaper than the shimano,

I was reminded that the s/a was 1:1 in first and the shimano is 1:1 in 3rd.

If i gear my chain rings to the highest tooth possible, does anyone think the S/A will crap itself?

the Shimano is only another $100 more plus another $40 more for the brake.

i feel this is like ordering clothes via the telephone and asking the operator if this will look good on me.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
if your going for it just dont get a N-360.. i have pics on here somewhere of mine.. it didnt last long.

i wish i could go back and take the cheaper, more solid IGH. like i said, i was looking at the S/A first. and at less then half the price even if it did fail. it would not have been such a waste of money.

im sure either way you go, adding gears WILL make your ride better. i have a blast with my set up. i still cant climb hills fast. but my bike runs much smother going up them.. and i like being able to take off from almost not moving at all without staling out..

good luck finding a setup that works for you. i wish i had more input on what you asking.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I honestly believe that the Sturmey Archer IG hubs are better than Shimano IGs. I haven't seen a modern Sturmey die yet, but I have seen Shimanos fail under pedal power.

soup325, I recommend you get the 3-speed or the 5-speed Sturmey. The 8-speed could be up to the task, but it does have a lot more internal pieces than the others, and the gear ratios are odd and quite close together. Every gear above 1st would be overdrive.

Another member and I have nearly 10,000 miles combined on S/A 3-speeds and neither of us have had a failure yet.

mrleo

Aug 16, 2011
cal.
Cam would you sell me the fluid to take apart mo 360. What can it hurt to try to fix it.
It will work until it gets about 5 miles than just spins but will grab some times. Its the bomb when it works right.Thanks
L.W.

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
Ok so here are my two cents about the nu Vinci hubs... So from what I've read on here and from what I've experienced for myself is, that the n360 is a peice of crap so dont waste your money! And as for the n171 which I have and it was one of the best up grades I've done! I have over 500 miles on it and only have had to replace 1 spoke! This thing is a beast!! Fully assembled it's almost 13 lbs! The only thing that is on my todo list is to switch my 17 tooth to probably a 24 tooth not really sure yet lol.. All I know is that with the 17 tooth I can start from a dead stop with only a little jolt when I let out the clutch. And top end it has trouble pulling when in the highest gear. :-( So.... yea the n171?rules highly recommended!!!!

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
thanks guys for the reply's.

I think, the S/A 5 speed would be a good choice for me. however the alfine series of hubs are meant to be stronger than the nexus hubs?

but, if the alfine stuff a unreasonable in price, then I will hedge my bets on the XL-RD5(W).

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
Hey there!

I want to report in on my use of the Sturmey 5 speed.

I had it professionally laced up and I installed it on my bike. I tuned it, and went for a foot powered ride, and it kept on going out of tune. I made sure to keep the little mark at the end of the axel in 2nd gear, but it always skipped out of it if I pushed forward in 1st or 2nd.

I could never get it to work, and it hurt my knees banging around on a slipping hub.
Basically, it didn't work for me. I think the shifter line was a little frayed and so didn't allow tension to go directly to the hub.

I sent it back and got the sturmey 3 speed hub with 70mm drum brake. SO far it has been great. I laced it up myself this time (Easier than I thought it would be! Thanks to sheldon brown)

I'll keep you updated, but so far the gear ratios are really nice. I have a 22 tooth on the back and a stock SBP with my huasheng 4 stroke on a cruiser bike.

The brakes work great too! So much better than my rear cantilever brakes.

I'll keep you updated.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I have been asking bike shops in Canberra on prices, for the SA5, and they have told me that the SA distributor, is not bringing the 5speed in due to problems with them.

They did not say what was happening to them, but now I have an idea why.

Im now in two minds about whether I should get an 8 speed or 3 speed.

One, less moving parts the better, less to go wrong with the 3 speed. and a third the price.

Two, do i need 8 speeds? I have managed with one speed for so long, why would I need 8, but is more always better, not when you have to walk home.

So now, do I go SA or Shimano??

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
I would go with the 3 speed (well... I DID go with the 3 speed)

When I opened it up from its packaging, it was just better made. The shifter cable was better quality, the adjuster pin was stronger... it was just simpler and better than the 5 speed. I can't imagine an 8 speed topping it.

I did go with the SA because it had a drum brake, and I was tired of my old brakes.

it cleans up the bike a bit.

good luck!

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
My Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub has been flawless. The ratio is wide enough to handle any riding situation, and the new bellcrank makes it very easy to keep the cable perfectly adjusted. I replaced the twist grip shifter with a vintage stick shift to force me to delay shifts, although the owners manual says the hub is sturdy enough to handle shifts under pedal pressure. I highly recommend getting a hub that is disc ready. I installed a Shimano 203mm disc and Avid BB7 caliper, the stopping power is awesome.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Im currently looking at the Shimano Hub Nexus 3sp Roller 36h SG-3R40. At AU$119 for the hub, roller brake, shifter and cable is really good.

What tooth sprocket are you running on the hub? and do you use the 10 or 11 tooth sprocket on the output on the engine?

My GT1 frame has no provisions for a disc rear. I would go for a disc hub if I did not have to weld on the bits for it screw on the the frame.

I also must say the sheldon brown website has been a really good source of information on the hubs. I will also use the website to help me lace up my wheel.

madmax16117

Mar 8, 2012
Pa
Hi guys. I am also looking for a IGH. I saw a Sram p5 cargo hub. I think I'll need something heavy duty. I have got a Dax 50 and a SBP shift kit n 3" rear tire probably going with a .120 spoke. I have a large hill to climb and would like a 45 mph top speed for a short distance run (to keep up). The P5 maybe difficult to get. A 3 or 7 speed is not out of the question. Anyone have a place to get a P5 in the states? Or any advise on alternatives? Thanks

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
45 mph top speed?

Plus hill climbing ability?

I don't want to dim your hopes, but at least, with my huasheng 4 stroke, with SBP, I have never been able to go over 35 mph on straight away, and that was with a nice tail wind.

Anyway, it can be done so I aint saying it is impossible. Good luck with your build! a 5 speed cargo hub sounds nice. Just be sure to tune it every time you get on or you'll be dealing with slipping gears.

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
i have a 3 speed coaster brake hub that i wanna use but will it work being a coaster? or will the brake engage while deceleration? can i convert it to fixed? i have access to a welder. its a shimano nexus 3 speed igh, i got it complete rim and all for free,