Alternatives for hs 49cc carb?

GoldenMotor.com

spiderskzes

Oct 10, 2012
san diego
I've been looking for a performance carburetor for my 4 stroker
But everyone is out of stock on regular ones, only agk has some but their too pricey after buying the carb, linkage, and air filter.

I was wondering if their is other alternatives...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PZ19-Carb-5...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a145ae53d

Like this one but I have no idea if it will work.
I will be watching this thread have same motor and been wondering same thing. let me know how that carb works out if you get it.i have the spb air filter and straight exhaust

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
IMHO the stock carb is fine when it's clean/working. It flows more than enough air for a 49cc engine with sub 8:1 compression engine at safe (7.5K or less) RPMs.
You might need to drill the jet, but the stocker can do the job. Heck, MotoMagz is even using one on his 5K RPM 97cc flathead lol

Get your jetting perfect, use a lil bit of Marvel or Lucas upper cylinder lube in the gas now and then and you're good to go!

Sure you might be able to squeeze maybe another 0.1-0.2HP with a carb but most of those gains will be 8+K RPM on a HS, and you have to already have a high-flowing intake and exhaust, high performance cam and run high quality synthetic oil. These engines don't have the compression ratio or the oiling system capable of getting the best out of a performance carburetor for the most part IMHO. To justify it we really need something like an aftermarket conrod about 1mm longer and/or a domed piston - not to mention some oiling mods like drilling the caps. Just my 2 cents :D

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Stick with the stock carb.If you get a good one it will last for years as long as you keep clean/filtered gas.

Ya I had one on my 98cc drilled out,itwas ok but I switched to a honda gx carb

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Cool, didn't know you upgraded the carb. But in all honesty, was it worth it? I mean, these engines only do so much, would it be worth the cost of a new carb for a 5-15% upgrade in power on an engine that didn't make but 3HP to begin with? lol

Pedaling harder is the cheapest speed upgrade on these. :D That's going in my sig.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i got a good hs carb sitting on the floor of my truck, why be normal when you can customize lol, in all honesty, dont put a cns on a hs, its a nightmare to tune lol, i only did it to see if i could, i wont go back, but i sure as heck aint doing it again.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Have you thought about building a manifold to allow you to use a small motorcycle carb from something about the same size like a mini mx'er? I've had outstanding results doing this with both honda, briggs and china four-strokes on go karts and minibikes. The japanese carbs are SO much better. Throttle response and tunability are vastly improved over the stationary/industrial design of the stock carbs.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Have you thought about building a manifold to allow you to use a small motorcycle carb from something about the same size like a mini mx'er? I've had outstanding results doing this with both honda, briggs and china four-strokes on go karts and minibikes. The japanese carbs are SO much better. Throttle response and tunability are vastly improved over the stationary/industrial design of the stock carbs.
this is true, i would rather have a slide carb over a butterfly carb any day.