Conservitive consortium of motorized bicycle riders

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Conservitive consortium of MBers

Its just some glimpse to reality? really its is a **** of a task I would gladly take it on for a good fight! Not the kind that causes mischief just less distraction! My goodness this has been an awesome forum!!! The thought and the oblivious for more intelligence not really that way just more diligence! I have become a fun typer really because of here!! By far.........Typing and checking is learning! This is what a forum is about.... Lets grow on good stuff! LOL
Big time GH! Sorry it took me so long getting back to this. I opened it at least 12 times, typed 1 sentence and thought I should wait until I could devote the time. Got swamped. Any way, gonna start on absolute basic rudiments. Then email to all for editing. Small, easy bites. Start with choosing a bicycle. End with the trouble shooting tree of it. Much later and down the road.

Jim, some great points, truly. "I have an idea!
How about a heading under "motorized bicycle", something like "The Pro Shop"
This would be a membership only topic area for those who have built a few bikes and know what they are talking about...In other words the ability to post or create threads under this heading would be by invitation only."
Would be awesome. Have you suggested that? Really is a good idea.

Also, the "bonified trouble shooting tree" really is brilliant! your right GH and Jim. Think like a manual, end post with it. (I took a whole day and worked on nothing but a vid yesterday. Feeling guilty now. Well, a lil)

Happy Sunday!

dnut

Post Script; Side thought about the joys of being part of this group. The other day, I called a member here just to say "hey" Odd part is that is probably the first social phone call I have made in years. Really. I have made/met some incredible friends here and really want to repay the favors so freely given to me. Came for the "how to" and stayed for the "how do" (way 2 corny for a slogan, but catchy, snork)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

"The Pro Shop" Hmmmmmmm. Now, I wouldn't have to wear yellow plaid pants and one of those funny little hats, would I ?
Tom

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

I think the ideas in this thread are all good ones and I agree with what most have said but just a word of caution. We must tread lightly on some of the topics here. This forum is so great because of the "self policing" that goes on here, with help from the Mods of course. I don't want to see this place become full of rules and regulations that I believe this site shows are not necessary. Sure there is misinformation, product hawking etc but we are good at calling a spade a spade and that works for me

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Yes, you are absolutely right Ghost. I am not sure why this is coming up. It is to be a post on building, assembling and what is to be expected from a stock, 2 stroke kit for bicycles. Just agreed on sound practices on MBs. It will be vendor, supplier neutral. Just a multi-contributer post and document about stock kit.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

"The Pro Shop" Hmmmmmmm. Now, I wouldn't have to wear yellow plaid pants and one of those funny little hats, would I ?
Tom
Yes Tom...You guessed it...I was thinking "Golf" when I suggested "The Pro Shop" as a good name for a sub-forum. You guys pick what ever seems appropriate.

Now, do I hold the club with the flat face forward, or should I mount the engine upside down and backwards. The Pro Shop has the answer!

Attire: Jeans, Sperry Topsiders, and a "T" with your choice of an appropriate slogan. You can substitute the Topsiders for Sneakers...I'll substitute the jeans for shorts. Man it's been unusaually hot here.

Jim,

I agree 100%...I have watched, but have rarely contributed to the motoredbikes forum for this very reason. Ron, (Neat times), on this forum would be given a spanking, or infraction points, or whatever, on that forum for TYPING IN CAPS...Yes guys they actually have a rule against typing in CAPS...who cares!!!

Paul, (Carribean Cruiser), isn't wishy washy like Tom...He knows this IS his forum and he won't let anything goof it up.

Tom let his forum go to the politics of a few forum fanatics...They have no technical information to offer...just kindergarten silliness. It may not be dead yet, but it will die.

Dan:

I completely understand your purist take on the kits. I really do!

Although I have the ability here at the shop to make proper replacements for the flawed components that come with the kit, I can build a bike with "just" the kit components and nothing else: to show that it can be successfully done....I have, and that's what prompted me to make the parts I make. The MB world is evolving...people with tools and technology will advance the MB's...embrace it! We work hard to make it happen!!!

Jim

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

The MB world is evolving...people with tools and technology will advance the MB's...embrace it! We work hard to make it happen!!!

Jim
Big time. And many fine products can be had. But if any is suggested over another supplier, then it would no longer be unbiased. I personally am in no way a purest. When done, it will be just the basic or corner stone. Then, to be built on. My point, there is a new clutch assembly coming out. If a basics post said this is better then the actuator, then some one says "no, the actuator is better" and the goal is lost and is a completely useless effort. Advancements, mods and upgrades are not the point. That is well covered and easy to find lots of options, reviews and contridictory opinions.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Ok ben reading and thinking you all make very good points. I still think a trouble shooting tree for all our most prevalent and famous engines is a swell Idea. I think it really completes something a perfection.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Also overall a happier costumer is a happier costumer. Helps the vender's makes this place more valuable . Thats an investment!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Ok this has gotten complicated. I was thinking something simple. The kiss principle! Keep It Simple Stupid. Believe it or not it applies to good old mechanics. How is the most simple way to solve things. Oh my goodness simple. Lets start at one place fuel or fire if you check the post some occasions it was made more complicated than it had to be . I know I have Unwillingly contributed for wrong nobody is perfect that cannot be done . Isn't what the title of this post was about. By the way with out spell check I look like a blipping Idiot!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Not that I need much help laff For messing myself that is that was my point. I never thought after to wage war on anybody or any product. How do we keep a good calm Godly view on proper perspectives Sometimes the Masses need to know. Think of a professional auto mechanic what do these guys read and check everyday God Bless..

Last edited:

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida

I would like to remind all of you of the joys of the luxury you have of the objective nature of Motor Bicycles. Lets face it in any endeavor there are subjective elements and in Motor Bicycles that really is at a minimum compared to others. For example, Jim's intake manifold is a superior manifold. There is no argument about that and until someone makes another one that claims to be better there really can't be much of a discussion about it. This contrasts to Winemaking. Just ask a question or make a statement that you think you know the best yeast to make Cabernet Sauvignon. Then watch the fireworks. Count your blessings fellows. It's nice here even with the occasional misinformation. As a winemaker , trust me, it is.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

GH, LOL! know what you mean about spell check!

Again you are spot on GH. I thought your input was great and really kept with the effort. I was trying to figure out how this became so complicated and confusseled. On all accounts, my fault. I posted in the wrong area and stated why I wanted to work on this not just asking for help and experienced builder's editing b4 posting it. ( the work, not this, here) This is what I have been working on, that will be emailed to the folks for editing before final darft;

"Introduction, welcome to the MB world and what can be expected from a 2 stroke kit/engine and parts. whats in the box and tools needed.

1, choosing bicycle

2, mounting

2A, fuel economy and speed

3, maintenance

4, safety

5, trouble shooting tree. (thanks again GH, that really is an awesome thunk)

All pertaining to whats in the box, how to fit it and what can be expected from it. I had meant this as a community service."

All of this information is well said and repeated all over the internet. Just not in one place or not near contridictory information.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

Gene has made a good point!

We are still at a place in time where we can have fun talking about MB's and bouncing ideas around.

Sooo...let's do this!

I thought the concept of a "pro shop" made sense because it would be live. I can also envision the pitfalls over time.

Dan...it's your thread...what is your opinion on the best way to get the info out.

Will it be a .PDF that can be downloaded from this site? Will it be in the classic posts?

I'll gladly contribute with diagrams, descriptions, observations I've made over the past year...and yes, based on exactly what comes out of the box...no bias.

Jim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Gene has made a good point!

We are still at a place in time where we can have fun talking about MB's and bouncing ideas around.

Sooo...let's do this!

I thought the concept of a "pro shop" made sense because it would be live. I can also envision the pitfalls over time.

Dan...it's your thread...what is your opinion on the best way to get the info out.

Will it be a .PDF that can be downloaded from this site? Will it be in the classic posts?

I'll gladly contribute with diagrams, descriptions, observations I've made over the past year...and yes, based on exactly what comes out of the box...no bias.

Jim
Awesome Jim, Thank you. I really enjoy your diagrams. (what program do you use?) I had not thought of PDF. Really, that works and will garner foot traffic for our fearless leader and gracious host. Named correctly and submitted to search engines. Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I am swamped and just took on 2 new gigs. (Might have gotten lucky and be able to buy an old grade school for a token $1, then HUD for financing where I would be a paid employee of my own not for profit, low income housing organization. I just hope I am not a jerk to work for but some of the voices in my head say, I are)

Was thinking about your pro shop. That could be awesome. Dunno why this popped in my head but thought of a internet radio station or podcast. Can set one up for free and as long as you don't play music (even orignal stuff/music has to pay the,,, some body, I forget) But any way, like a regular radio help program but with the added bonus of being able to post pics in real time. I set one up a few years back. Very complicated. Would need a pro or real cyber person. "High tech mods hr with Jim from creative enginering" "2 stroke repair with Bike guy Joe" "kick your muffler with Dan" (do I knock your hobbies? snork) The way most "hobbie internet radio stations" (that I knew of any way) would only "broadcast for a few hrs a day. But could be 24hrs. Just had another thought, have set vids on youtube ready to go with the reoccurring questions.

LOL, this is why I never finish any thing. am all over the place.

Dunno, but I would chip in for hosting fees. And can plug or sell advertising to offset costs. Is this 2 grandiose? Would be really cool though. (again, my lil speech thing turns out to be a bummer. But getting a lil better with practice)

A section on "Breaking in" might be useful or does that fall under "Maintenance"?
Yes! I had not thought of that. Vedy cool. Would you want to write the first draft? Only if you have time. It would then get passed around to all participants and final draft vote.

Any one else interested? Is a chance to maybe might help new MBers. (..and folks like me who build with hammers, mallets and adjust mufflers away from cranks using steel toed boots, snork)

Awesome guys and I mean that. Thank you.

usflg

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL

K, here it is.....

Open up a brand new section devoted to any "mod" done to mb's,
new or old, or one with a new "twist" added.
Call it "Yay or Nay."

Someone starts a thread and it goes like this:

"Can I JB Weld a frame together to make the bike I want...Yay or Nay?"

Replies within the thread:

1. "Yay...
-Yes you can do this....
You can also buy yourself a 1 million dollar life insurance policy and make me the beneficiary...."

2. "Nay...
Come on, man really??? Hey, aren't you the guy that wanted to make a turbo with a hair dryer...?"

The Pros:
-The topic gets labeled and has it's own thread with replies and arguments either way inside the thread.
-The reader can read everyone's replies and make their own assumptions, and hopefully do not go out and make a purchase on a case of JB Weld.
-Eventually as the thread gets old and sinks to the bottom it never gets lost and can be searched over and over again as long as the Topic Question Thread Line has " Yay or Nay " in it somewhere...

The Cons....?

Yay,.....or Nay.....?

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

That is a cool idea Brett. Would make it a lot easier on new folks! Gonna start doing that in all replies.

Side note, I really, really liked the hair dryer turbo idea! Just thought that would look so cool. But I try all the weird stuff. still working on the worlds worst muffler mod. In the great words of Dan Akroyd; "really, really bad"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

There have been some good ideas suggested here but if you watch the posts that are going on daily the bogus misinformation is still going on and getting worse. There are a couple who are only interested in building up their post numbers and not only can they not spell but they continue to give crap informnation to people asking legitimate questions. I've noticed that the good guys have started shying away from the 'Trouble Shooting' section because the bad information has been flooding it. I'm not going to mention names here but if it keeps up, I will. I've talked to several of the old timers and they are all in agreement with me. The bad and useless information needs to stop. New people come here for answers and what they're getting is not only 'hatchet mechanic' drivel but potentially dangerous suggestions. What is the next step?
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow Tom. Saddens me to hear that from you. (for folks just getting to know 2 Door, easy going, good guy who looks out for us all) This was my attempt but have been swamped and off line due to tornado (in CT!) and off line.

I have not had the time to spend, but would this stuff help? (this thread) WE write a simple but all inclusive MB guide?

Since the tornado, new job, 2 new side gigs I,,, think about this every day but have 0 work done on it. My bad but next time I have for fun is about 4 or 5 days away

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

If you see a post that is questionable, then by all means flag it for us.

And let us know why it was flagged and the post#

We do remove post that are down right dangerous info and I am sure a few have gotten by us.