Newbie Issues. Huge, HUGE newbie issues.

GoldenMotor.com

Should I switch to cruiser? I REALLY want it to work on this bike.

• Yes, you should.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, not necessary.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Map. Just to add to it, a cruiser is also going to be a lot more comfortable. With a motor, leaning on your hands and feet gets uncomfortable and tiring.

I missed this but a fixie is not gonna be fun at 25, 30 MPH.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I agree with Map. Just to add to it, a cruiser is also going to be a lot more comfortable. With a motor, leaning on your hands and feet gets uncomfortable and tiring.

I missed this but a fixie is not gonna be fun at 25, 30 MPH.
Ditto...

I learned the hard way on the low bars situation..... very uncomfortable, bars that allow more weight on your butt than your hands make for a much more comfortable ride, my riding is always several miles at a time so a low mounted seat and hhigher bars work best for me.

Map
.wee.

Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hey gang!
I've decided to follow a lot of your inputs and I've switched to my old Schwinn Jaguar!
Thanks for all of the advice and helping a clueless guy figure out what to do. You've all been a great community and I will for sure continue to post on this forum (since I'll probably be running into a bunch of other problems).
I'll post my completed build in the Motorized Beach Cruiser section on a new thread when I'm done.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey gang!
I've decided to follow a lot of your inputs and I've switched to my old Schwinn Jaguar!
Thanks for all of the advice and helping a clueless guy figure out what to do. You've all been a great community and I will for sure continue to post on this forum (since I'll probably be running into a bunch of other problems).
I'll post my completed build in the Motorized Beach Cruiser section on a new thread when I'm done.
That Schwinn Jaguar will make you a really nice cruiser...best wishes...

Map
reddd

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You made a good choice.
The Jaguar lends itself beautifully to motorizing. When done right they are a joy to ride but by 'done right' I mean the saddle needs to be moved back to give you some stretch room. Dan once described riding it as feeling as if he were doing the chicken dance until he moved the seat back.

6" rearward with the seat will greatly improve your riding posture. Jags are notoriously short in the inseam.

I flipped the handlebars upside down on a couple of Jags. That helps too.
You can use the search feature and type in 'Schwinn Jaguar' and you'll get lots of information on motorizing that once very popular bike. There are a couple in my profile photo album.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Tom

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i would definatly stick with the fixy bike you have now as they are very fast as motorized bikes !

i would get a wider bottom bracket/ crank so your pedals clear 40$ r so

then a good 415 or #41 chain 10$

mount it in fram like normal

run a 41 or 44 t rear sprocket with a rag joint or some type of hub adapter

that shwin cruiser though would make a sweet cruiser bike ! it will look nicer and not be quite as fast but be worth it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i would definatly stick with the fixy bike you have now as they are very fast as motorized bikes !

i would get a wider bottom bracket/ crank so your pedals clear 40$ r so

then a good 415 or #41 chain 10$

mount it in fram like normal

run a 41 or 44 t rear sprocket with a rag joint or some type of hub adapter

that shwin cruiser though would make a sweet cruiser bike ! it will look nicer and not be quite as fast but be worth it.

Man.... dont mean to be abrasive here but you dont know what your talking about in saying the fixie will make a faster bike..... the fastest bike that anyone owns on this forum are cruiser types......a bikes frame has nothing to do with what its speed will be as a mptorized bike...... lol!

.bf.