Need some advice on buying a 2-stroke engine kit! Noob here with Road Bike!

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Hey guys, I have this really awesome bike that is almost 20 years old, it's in fantastic condition (given to me by my grandpa), he bought it in Toronto in the 90s, and it's 10x more durable than any bike ive ever owned previously. Needs some cleaning as you can see though (Actually going to go do that now).

So I'm wondering, what is the best possible engine I can get for this bad boy (I noticed people usually use huffy's for their bike builds).

I was checking out motorizedbicycle.ca (Since I live in Ontario, Canada) and I noticed that ad from bikeberry.com which seems nicer since there is a HUGE variety of engine kits on there.

What would you guys recommend to me for this bike? I can take some measurements if need be.

MY BUDGET IS $300 USD.

Thanks guys!!!

Bike pics:

Last edited:

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Hmm it seems like my thread has disappeared! So guys, what is the best brand of engine I can get that will LAST me the longest without having to maintain the crap out of it.

Considering these things are all manufactured in China, their quality likely isnt the greatest, but I'd love to hear some opinions from everyone!

Budget is 300 dollars.

dankorczak

May 8, 2013
NJ
As a noob myself, I too will be watching this thread. I'm in the same boat, where I'm looking to spend no more than 300ish at the absolute most. The easier on the wallet, the better!

Anyway, as someone who is just getting into motor biking, what kit/route should I go with?

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...high guys, i'm new around here too and new to motorized bikes as well so i have no experience to offer other than a month's worth of lurking and studying.

...so with that said here's a link to a thread authored by a fella who seems to know a thing or two about building these bikes and i think if you take a look at some of his builds you'll have to agree.

Go figure... miss a sale by a day?by KCvale

...i share this link because it is directly relevant to your question and because it is very timely but i truly suggest you take the time to read through some of KC's other threads as well as threads by, well, there are so many gifted builders here sharing there work that it still knocks my socks off, lol, ...way too many for this old guy to remember, and finding builders who's style you admire is half the fun anyway.

...so go have some fun grasshoppers, lol, for example, go ogle some of the board track racer builds, ...just be careful your eyes don't pop out, lol.

anyway, i hope this helps.

peace, bozo

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it is hard to recommend a particular chine kit as even from one seller they vary in quality from week to week, but from your picture it is hard to tell how well it will fit in there

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada

Those are measurements. I'm thinking of picking up a grubee skyhawk GT5a engine from motorizedbicycle.ca cause its super cheap for shipping since i live so close.

I wanted to get some after market parts there too:

You think it will fit? Measured my bike.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A China Girl kit will probably fit on your bike with few mods- 4 strokes are a little harder for someone new, and you'd have to go with wider cranks-

You might have to lose the front derailleur- and I'd personally take off the other chainwheels and go with the smaller or middle ring- that might need shorter allen bolts-

I'd probably want to get a 66 kit from boygofast on ebay and make sure it has a WIDE MOUNT for your big tubes- that saves using an adapter.

Not sure how much you intend to pedal otherwise- the top yube of your bike may be a bit short for the kit tank, without getting in the way of peddaling that is- it will probablt FIT, but you may find it's making your knees go wide when you pedal- there's not a lot of options in tanks, but there is one sold that goes under a rear luggage rack.

I have a 66 build and a 50, and I prefer the 50 actually- but the 50's don't yet come with a wide mount- I just asked several vendors about it.

And you have to gear things right- a kit usuially has 44 or 41 tooth sprocket- and a lot of us go smaller if you're riding on roads and not real heavy- that gives a better cruise without having to open the throttle up so much- so you may want to look for a kit with a 41 first- or even ask if you can swap or get credit for a 36

good luck

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
FractaL64- Here's a (bad) pic of my tank set-up. I just mounted the kit tank on the rear rack. There is a rack with a built in tank available that is probably the best solution.
I've got a 4stroke Grubee on a Schwinn cruiser frame. All numbers are approximate: The seat tube is 14 1/2", top tube is 17 1/2", down tube is 24", the engine is 9X9X9. Just as a reference for measurements.
I suggest you search around for engine kits, and then ask about that kit, and that vendor. Then you may get suggestions for important upgrades etc. The 'rag-joint' rear gear that comes with alot of kits get's mixed reviews, for example. So you may decide on an upgraded method of driving your rear wheel.
Look at some pictures on this site, and get an idea of what you want, and start from there.
Good luck!

Attachments

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I have found that just about any bike with 26in wheels and no rear suspension will accept a china girl engine. I have even built a 24" huffy mountan bike with sucess. I did have to get an offset intake and use the slant head to wedge it in there as well as loose the front derailer. As far as maintenece goes cheap china kit parts are deff gonna break esspecially if you ever mess with anything, and you will its unavoidable. What I did was buy a cheap kit and over the last year or so have upgraded about everything that cae with the kit. Also a bit of advice about the tensioner that co$es with the kits- ditch it if at all possible - it will save you tons of grief later. Here goes a pic of my current build with all the upgraded parts ;)

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All the ht's two stroke kits are basically the same. Arrow and DAx are the only vendor who actually improve anything in the engine, and the price reflects it!
Pick a ebay kit with a good vendor rating and price you can afford.
Use the savings to upgrade the parts needed to pimp YOUR bike.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Yeah i agree w/ everything thats been said - lose the chain tensioner, upgrade small things, if you leave the engine alone and treat it well they tend to just keep ticking and ticking and ticking (often getting better with age) I can recommend you upgrade some small things if you are looking for performance / reliability:
-HD fuel line w/ inline fuel filter
-SBP air filter
-A replacement chain
-replacement spark plug boot

These things will, when paired with a loving mechanic, create a reliable and fun motorized bike. P>S> take your time w/ the sprocket and get it true --- its worth it in the long run.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
With out the chain tensioner,what you do use a thight chain?
I honestly can't make out what you're asking specifically, but in that ballpark: You do not need a tensioner. You do not need a new chain if you remove your tensioner. You will probably need to remove a couple links from your chain if you do remove the tensioner. The kit tensioners are junk, and can be a serious hazard if they work themselves loose and flop over into your spokes. The search bar near the top of the page will lead you to many discussions on this topic.

All that said, welcome! Tell us about your bike, and post pics if you can.