BoXer Race Bicycle transformation!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
if you are not running full throttle and on fairly flat land you should be getting over 20 easily i would think. lights do drain the battery fast though. the motors are built with efficiency in mind to get the most mileage possible, lights are not. be interesting how much more you get with the lights off
Those LED headlights should have very low current draw. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 amp each. We'll know for sure soon, because I'm going to test mine after it gets here.

That's compared to about 5 amps for a 12vdc 50w halogen.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am not really sure biknut. my car has led and i left them on one time and they drained the battery flat real fast. his battery should be getting better milage though if not running full throttle all the time like i do

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I tested the one I had and it pulled ~1/4 amp out of the 54 volt battery.

Makes sense the light is 4X 3 watt leds for 12 watts and that's about a quarter of 48.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Well the BoXer did a 360 and is back to it's original self. The h2o Morini was installled for one race, then I realized that I wanted to race it in the mid class. I ended up taking apart my air cooled Morini (with a bad crank) and threw on the top end onto my H2o cooled power plant since that motor already had a Tomar Clutch, better reeds and carb. I put all of my electric stuff on a Marin DH Quad XLT bike I bought off of Craigslist. I ended up buying a new front wheel to match the back one. I rode it around for a month with a rear rack to carry my battery but with the weight and rough riding, the rack eventually broke. I really didn't like the way it handled with that rack. It felt like the front end was too light so I was looking for a way to mount the battery up front. This is what I ended up with. I made a bracket out of aluminum with velcro straps. The bike is nimble, light and handles awesome with the 24" tires. Another good thing is the battery doesn't move and is easy to change out.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Boy Howdy! That looks like one smooth ride:)

How much travel in the rear sus ?
The Marin Quake 7.2 full suspension mountain bike is designed to search and destroy the gnarliest trails you can find with absolute bombproof performance. Not to mention, the Quake is the preferred equipment of two-time Masters World Champion mountain biker Shaums March. At only 34 lbs and 27 speed drivetrain this bike is not limited to just rolling downhill. FRAME SET
Frame: 6061 QUAD XLT aluminum with Edge II Plus top tube and hydroformed down tube
Front Suspension: Marzocchi 66 RCV with air spring preload and external rebound and compression adjustment
Front Travel: 180mm
Rear Suspension: 6061 QUAD XLT 4 bar link aluminum swingarm
Rear Travel: 6.8"
DRIVETRAIN
Shifters: SRAM X-7, 9 Speed Trigger
Front Derailleur: SRAM X-7
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9
Crank: TruVativ Hussefelt 2.2 RG DH, 36/24 with rock guard and E-13 shift guide
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, Power Glide II, 11-34, 9 Speed
WHEELS
Rims: WTB Dual Duty Freeride, double wall, 32 Hole
Tires: Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.5", Stick-E rubber
COMPONENTS
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race with Love Channel and Comfort Zone
Seatpost: Syncros Derived, 6061, 31.6mmx400mm
Handlebar: FSA Maximus, double-butted alloy, OS-31.8, 40mm rise
Stem: Gap OS 1.5" threadless, 31.8mm bar clamp
Headset: Orbit DL, 1.5" threadless with forged alloy cups
Brake Levers: Avid hydraulic disc
Brakes: Avid Code 5 hydraulic disc
Pedals: Crank Bros 50/50 XX
Weight: 33 lb.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
What does something like that cost? (Edit: well, I just saw many reviews that paid $1000 which isn't bad).
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/freeride-full-suspension/marin/quake-7-2/prd_414253_1543crx.aspx
I admire it. and envy you, and concur with everyone about moving the battery forward. Doing that myself on cheapest frame I could buy.
Thanks Bikeslob,
I felt I stole the bike for $500 on Craigslist. I've seen some similar bikes for over $3k. I searched Craigslist for weeks before I found the Marin. So I roughly spent a little ver $1200 and that includes the shipping for the MP3, charger and my 48v 15ah battery.
I'll post a picture of my battery mount later when I get home.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I had an awesome time today riding 30 miles along the coast. The bike handled the trials with ease and the best part was I didn't annoy anyone. I took one pic.

PS: I spy with my own two eyes.......

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
30 miles? How big is your battery? and which Magic Pie III?
I did 15 miles each way.
I have two batteries. I carry a spare battery in a backpack when I ride because I love having that insurance in case my first battery dies. One battery (48v 15ah Li ion NiCoMn) gets 24 miles and my LifePo4 48v 10ah battery gets 17 miles per charge. I wasn't blazing through the trails so I could have gotten over 45 miles. Plus it was mostly flat.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Glad you had a fun ride Ken that thing looks sick! I see some skin, Do you hang out there often? lol
Good eye Buddy! LOL
No Dave, I hang out more north of Santa Cruz where the (cough cough) good beaches are. Haha jk
I went to the shop today and Dean still had some 24x2.75 Arrow Racing knobby tires left over from BoXer bikes. I figured since I plan on doing more trail riding with the bike, I should try them out. They definitely don't handle as good on the streets as the Cylops but I'm sure they handle much better in the dirt.

Attachments