The Next Bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
In looking for a bike for the new 4 stroke build I ran across this bike at Wal Mart. They will sell it to me for $149. and ship it for .97 cents. I went to Waldo and the store near me did not have the bike. The bike looks good in a picture but I wanted a real life look. I have had problems with the fit of the Chinese built cruisers, especially in the handle bar to seat ratio and the position of the pedals to the seat. I would like to find something closer to the ergonomics of my Electra Townie. One more thing the picture of this bike looks like it has lots of spokes that could mean redrilling the hole pattern on the rear sprocket. That is not a big deal, but it is a deal.
The bike is the Genesis Onyx 29 inch Cruiser.
Anybody have any experience with this bike in regards to fit and comfort? Or should I look for an Electra Cruiser and pay more?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I built one. It has 48 spokes, but a pirate cycle hub adapter will fit. It has a really strong frame and big dimensions. Too big for my liking, but its probably a good candidate for a 4 stroke build. It also has pretty strong wheels for a cheapy wally world bike.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Very good looking ride Biknut And that is the bike. So lets talk front brake. I am thinking fitting up a disk and going with the rear coaster. I plan on using a cable driven speedo off the front wheel do you think that will work with a disk brake? sorry about all the questions

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You'll have to do some work to have a disk brake. You'll need different forks that have a bracket for a caliper, and a wheel with a disk brake hub. Other than that I don't think there would a problem with a cable operated speedo.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
My GF has a Townie and I have an Onex that I'm building on. I will say this, the riding position is VERY different. The Townie is also a MUCH better made bike with MUCH higher end components so you would be getting what you pay for if you go with an Electra cruiser.

I also bought a Genisis 29 Mt. Bike which I used as parts donor :) That gave me the suspension fork, disk brake and controls. I'm also going to graft the rear wheel and deraileur into the narrow coaster brake Onex frame. My goal is run jackshaft/shift kit. I lost the 48 spoke rims going with the Mt. bike rims but the Mt bike rims look much stronger and wider top to bottom.......if you know what I mean. The stickers are also cooler, LOL!!!

If anyone wants a brand new 29" Mt. bike frame, let me know :) The stripped aluminum frame is actually very light and nicely welded.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
You know your gonna have to bend the frame to fit a multi speed wheel in there right?Steel would be no prob but that frame is alluminum and might crack so be careful

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
You know your gonna have to bend the frame to fit a multi speed wheel in there right?Steel would be no prob but that frame is alluminum and might crack so be careful
This has certainly been an ongoing "consideration"!! Just by removing the axle spacers I've managed to squeeze it in. I'm bending the frame about 1/4" with just hand pressure. I want to be able to run 4 of the gears. Eventually, I can remove the unused ones. I'm not sure yet but I think I might be able to make it even thinner by doing so. I just need to sort out the final drive ratios. As it is now, it looks like the chain will clear the frame on the smallest gear. The only thing I have to do is fabricate a mount for the deraileur itself. I'm going to use the two existing threaded holes that look like they are for a fender mount. I will probably go with a good 3 piece aluminum crank as well so I can swap in different chainrings to get my ratios right. The stock ones are cheap, stamped ones that are rivited together.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
a mount for the derailour is no problem.you can get one on ebay that will work on coasterbrake dropouts
It will be easy to make one. I need to have the deraileur end up in the same location, left to right as it sat in the Mt. Bike frame, in relation to the gears. I want to have some adjustability built into it. That will, HOPEFULLY allow me to remove gears I'm not using when everything is sorted out.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Knifemaker nailed it. The quality of the Townie can not be beat and that carries over into the entrie Electra line of bikes. The cost is a factor and the price of the an Electra Cruiser is very much more that the Onyx I am looking at. What I have found is that used high end bikes cost more that the Onyx. If the Onyx fits me and with the large wheels already on the bike and seeing some of the Onyx bikes already built I think it may be a good choice for me. It will never be an Ekectra, Felt or other high end bike but it should do. What do you think?

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Knifemaker nailed it. The quality of the Townie can not be beat and that carries over into the entrie Electra line of bikes. The cost is a factor and the price of the an Electra Cruiser is very much more that the Onyx I am looking at. What I have found is that used high end bikes cost more that the Onyx. If the Onyx fits me and with the large wheels already on the bike and seeing some of the Onyx bikes already built I think it may be a good choice for me. It will never be an Ekectra, Felt or other high end bike but it should do. What do you think?
My thought is to do my first build on the Onex/Mt Bike combo. Two new Walmart bikes are still less than the GF's Townie!! Once I see how the first build goes, and if I still have some interest, my next build would be more high end.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I just ordered the motor and will get it in a few days. I am planning on using an improved chain tensioner and a rear sprocket adapter. So it is going to be a Onyx Bike with a HS 49 CC 4Gt engine kit I will call it the Black OX.

FLKnifemaker

Feb 26, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
That sounds great!

Last night I was looking at the rear dropouts on my Onex, trying to sketch up the deraleur adapter that I needed to make. Then something hit me!! One already existed. I walked into the shop, fired up my bandsaw and cut the right side dropout out of the 29" Mt. Bike frame!!! A few minutes on the beltgrinder and my adapter worked out perfectly. So much for trying to sell my brand new Mt. Bike frame. Thats' OK though, time is money and doing that saved me a LOT of time. I took pics of the carnage and will post them at some point!!!