Easiest build possible

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
After much discussion with Yank & SP I understand the error of using a flip fixie hub it will unscrew on the left side...I had seen several utube videos I guess they hadn't figured this out yet when they mad them. In another words the fixie sprocket is not good to bolt the HT sprocket up to.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
If you want an easy build I'd suggest the DAX friction drive kit with the Super Titan Engine. With the DAX Engine Bracket you can simply disengage the roller by loosening the lever & lifting the bracket/roller off the tire & securing the whole bracket/roller in place by simply tightening the lever so you can pedal. Whole installation should only take 1 hour at the most even for the most marginally mechanically inclined.

joeltrain

Jul 4, 2011
Douglasville GA
My '96 Trek 800 sport has been my easiest build so far. It has a 23.5" frame tho. Had to remove front derailleur too. My Specialized Hardrock Cruz 19" frame was pretty tough. Not a lot of room back there for sprocket. My chain currently rides 1/16" from the frame rail and sometimes rubs. Lastly My 1st build was REALLY BAD. 1983 Motobecane Mirage Road Bike 19" frame. Save your arms back and basically your whole body from this. Road bikes have far too much road feel and little wheels do not handle potholes well. I pretzeled my 1st rear wheel. Plus you are always getting flats partly due to the extra weight.
My advice: Try to get the largest frame bike to fit your body. The distance between the rear wheel hub and frame are also a major concern. The more room you have the better! Good luck

Attachments

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
joeltrain, my bik looks almost identicle. I ave a trek 820. Bn working great, sinc I have all sorts of terrain I need to cover btween hom and work.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you tack weld the sprocket you can use the left side. I've got one of these walmart fixies I'm gonna motorize when I get the chance.

shellshopexotics

Mar 7, 2011
Safety Harbor Florida
there's no such thing as "an easy build" when it comes to chinese 2 stroke kits.
you will have to modify something along the way.
don't expect to bolt a chinese engine kit to a bike right out of the box and be riding it in a few hours.
So true, I was told 3-4 hours it was 3-4 weeks about 25 hours. I did a
a lot of extra functional cosmetic things to my bike. I will say it still was about 10 hours on the kit itself.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I think there IS an easy build! Bring it to my shop, Spend $150.00 and then pick it up :) I can have it in a day :)
Not if you want a total one off custom build with a custom paint job. ANYONE can throw a motorized bike together right out of the box.
sorry, but I'm not like the majority, my bikes have to be custom, and that's why I Di my own work. from fabricating custom parts, to a custom paint job.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I'm with George on friction being easiest to build and use. Plus, if you just
want to pedal or coast, it's simple to just lift the roller off the tire. Kit-wise,
it's a tossup twixt Dax and Staton. I'd say Staton is bit more precisely made,
but Dax offers more hardware and is more adaptable. Which ever you choose,
I'd buy the engine separately. Don't get the smallest roller no matter how
heavy you are. If you're 200# or less, a 4 stroke honda gx35 is super quiet
and super reliable for $240 at smallengineswarehouse.com. If you don't
want to spend that much there's a variety of cheaper 2 strokes out there.
you just want to be sure their clutch will match your kit. Monster Scooter
Parts sells a very strong 49cc 2 stroke for About $130. There are also
many of the same type available on Ebay. If I had the dough, I'd look
for a Tanaka PF4000 2 stroke,;it's virtually as clean and quiet as a 4
with relatively more power.

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Mines not a mountain bike - but 88 dollar walmart cranbrook and that's dax 80cc kit 179 + shipping. Easiest bolt on I ever done and no serious mods. (Left off chain tensioner from kit to avoid it getting in spokes. Had to add a link to bicycle chain so it lined up perfect and lastly removed rear fender. Could have kept it but I didn't feel like notching it for motor chain) I use this regularly on trail rides and pulls mt big arse around no problems. Little sluggish up steep grades but ht motor is always like that. Remember to pack the botom bracket and rear rim with good grease \m/
Did you have a problem with your rear wheel being out of round,,these wheels are junk on the huffy cranbrook,,also,,how did you mount the front mount,,I used a spacer and drilled a hole.I had to lose the dust cover for the hub and bend the brake arm a little too...

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Wheel was a tad tweaked but atrip to the bike shop and 10 bucks later wheel was perfect. As for drilling holes in the frame - horrible idea. I used adapter plate and u-bolt to mount the front. As for dust cover, its not wise to ditch that. Your bearings will suffer and eventually fail (had this happen to rear wheel on mountain bike I built thus the reason I bought a cranbrook in the first place). Put it back on. Brake arm has to be bent no matter what bike you build if you are useing a coaster brake hub.
Hope this answers your questions \m/

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
After much discussion with Yank & SP I understand the error of using a flip fixie hub it will unscrew on the left side...I had seen several utube videos I guess they hadn't figured this out yet when they mad them. In another words the fixie sprocket is not good to bolt the HT sprocket up to.
These fixie hubs can work quite well. This one is perfectly centered with only a wrap of tape over the freewheel threads. Bolted up first time with no wobble or runout at all. Easiest ragjoint I've done so far...

Just unscrewed the fixie sprocket and it fit like it grew there.
Needs a bigger chainring or a smaller freewheel though,. Geared much to tall right now, but the customer will decide.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
My opinion:
A mid 80s - mid 90s steel mtb can be had on craigslist for ~50-100$ These are strong, and in my opinion better than the fixies with sh$tty brakes. Plus they have gears if you want to sbp kit it. On top of all that the tubing tends to be the PERFECT size for the 66cc engines on these bikes. Stay away from huffy and magna - look for trek, specialized, diamondback, etc.

The Chinese engines are getting better and better. I live in san francisco which is famous for its hills but I can make it up anything in the city without pedaling. Stock gearing and stock build. Just dial it in and make sure its not running too rich / lean. Good luck! MOTO

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used to think they all had lousy brakes too, but this thing will easily lift the back wheel at speed! This thing has faceplant brakes!
Comparison shop before you dismiss all fixed gear wally world bikes...

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
These fixie hubs can work quite well. This one is perfectly centered with only a wrap of tape over the freewheel threads. Bolted up first time with no wobble or runout at all. Easiest ragjoint I've done so far...

Just unscrewed the fixie sprocket and it fit like it grew there.
Needs a bigger chainring or a smaller freewheel though,. Geared much to tall right now, but the customer will decide.
I was gonna try a Genisis Onyx twenty niner next,,but now you got me looking at the Fixie,,ahh,,Ill just do em both...lol..I was spinning wheels on the Fixie a couple weeks ago when I bought my cranbrook,,the Fixie had the straightest wheels out of all of them,,the genisis was built super well also for a coaster beach tank.

Last edited: