Who Knows What About Insurance?

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
SO my State Farm agent informs me I am uninsurable on MB. I am not covered under Homeowners as if on a bike and since I cant register the "motor" proppeled unit I can not insure it as a scooter, moped, or Motorcycle. I have been informed I have fallen through the insurance cracks and on my own if it is my fault in a wreck.

I think State laws would be the last word on a law suit in the event I was at fault (Trafiic or other accident) and State Farm did not pay. I am classified as a motor assisted scooter/bicycle. But who knows. I know I have private health insurance but this is an interesting situation.

I would like to have insurance like on my motorcycle so if I bust my own arse I got some coverage...

Anyone?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Have you looked up your states statutes on motorized bicycles? I'm often advising people to look up their local laws and read them. This way you know for yourself. All too often word of mouth law is wrong.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yea thanks LR I did, well actually my attorney and Insurance agent did, when I started to form an official business building these MB's. It was also a devistating blow to my business model.

1cc-35cc No license required or registration - BUT MUST BE eligible to drive ( No revoked, suspended, or other reason)

35cc-50 CC you basically are a moped and must register, tag, and insure but can use a regular class C license to operate.

50cc and up same as 35cc-50cc but must have motorcycle endorsment to operate :)

I live in ORYGUN ;]~

rjs467

Feb 5, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
fugit...I live in Windsor, Ontario. And your charted cc requirement charts are exactly the same for me as you stated for Orygun. But riding in Windsor only !!! A DOT rated helmet is required, a class M license is needed. AHHH!! In two towns outside of Windsor, all the police ask is that the rider be 16 years old or older, the driver go no faster than 50 KMs an hour(30 miles per hour), and that the rider please wear a biking helmet. And I said that I also intend on wearing my vest. They didn't even care to know the motor cc's!

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
anything you want to insure with a motor has to have title and registration. you may need to go through a different insurance company once registered as a moped. if you want coverage, get the legal size engine for your state, and fork over the dough to register it. that simple. no insurance company that operates in the usa is going to insure an unregistered, untitled motor vehicle.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
It's a bicycle, Not a MoPed,Scooter, Bicycle. Has a small assistive motor. It's still a bicycle, Providing the Motor is UNDER 50cc. Over that, Your on your own. (c)

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
It's a bicycle, Not a MoPed,Scooter, Bicycle. Has a small assistive motor. It's still a bicycle, Providing the Motor is UNDER 50cc. Over that, Your on your own. (c)
Each state has their own definitions of what classifies as a motor vehicle or motor assisted vehicle. In Idaho a bicycle is a bicycle until one modifies it so that it performs beyond the definition of a bicycle. That means is one adds an electric motor or gasoline engine to a bicycle it changes the definition of what it becomes. The statutes do make these distinctions. If I add wings, a tail, and a small prop attached to an engine to my bicycle and start flying around on it there is no doubt that I modified the bicycle into something more than what a standard definition of what it originally was. And I would also be regulated by part 103 of the FAA regulations pertaining to ultralight aircraft.

Just because the original functions and the physical properties of a bicycle are still there after modifying it by adding an engine or motor the later adds functionality beyond the standard definition of a bicycle. No longer self propelled - faster than average speeds and endurance for a human powered bicycle, etc.

I know this is a necro thread but f someone truly wants to be protected with an insurance policy while riding an unregistered, untitled motorized bicycle the best solution I can think of is some sort of policy for personal liability.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I just read all the messages and did not see my answer, so I am hoping to get some help. I am going to be using my motorized bicycle for a Go-Fer errand business. I want to put on the advertising that I am licensed and bonded, but I am having a heck of a time finding insurance. I live in Texas. I have no car (so no insurance there), and due to the fact this is a BUSINESS and not a personal item, I can't put it under renters insurance. I need actual motorized bicycle insurance coverage in order for me to get my permits and my bond to run my biz. Can anyone please help me out???
As others have mentioned you won't find any insurance company that will insure a motorized bicycle unless you have it titled and registered at the DMV. That means you'll have to get tags for it to qualify for auto insurance. That's why I suggested a personal liability policy. Here are some personal liability policies regarding business and personal property:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/business/property-liability-personal-services.asp

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/other/personal.asp

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/business/professional-liability-insurance.asp

There are a lot more options out there but you need to be more specific. My suggestion is to talk to an insurance agent and explain exactly what you are trying to do regarding getting a professional bond insurance for the type of business you are starting.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a while back i talked to a store that sells scooters and whizzers here in so cal. they put me in touch with a place that would insure my bike, but since it's not required here i blew it off.

if theres any whizzer dealers around, give them a call.