build no.2 the wifes beach trike

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
She's gettin excited , last night she says to me " ya want me to come down there an give ya a hand with it ?" my reply " Hon , you keep the vision I'll do the execution."

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Gary, just found this thread. Once again, real nice work. I'll bet you'll get "the look" when you ride together. I have thought about a trike for my wife (Jackie).
Dan

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks for the complements guys , I over looked a few things on the rear of the trike an last night took care of them , I hung all the chains , an realized that welding the trike kit was almost a mistake , that made me have to install the chain tensioner on the main chain , an also managed to hide that behind the gaurd very well , I just hope that the bearings in that tensoiner are decent quality now , an fitted all the equipment on the rear axel the speedo drive was a real pain in the azz as its made for the front wheel an after taking a good look at that area , man I got a lot of stuff packed in there. gonna be a pain to repair if needed but worth the effort. Also test fitted one of the hubcaps , to make it look finished I need some stainless acorn nuts or I go with the other 1 I have which is more of a cone shape an make up some faux knock offs like on the old truimph tr/6's an mg's, cant make up my mind there.
Gary

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
I've been silently lurking and admiring. Keep those progress photos coming. We're all watching with eager anticipation. Knowing the quality of your work we're all in for a treat. :)
Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I made up the exhaust an the bed today , fashioned it after one I had seen on a old as dirt firetruck , with the built in tool/battery box also picked up a sweet chrome piano hinge, some tiedown hoops , an oldschool tool box latches, got that all sanded an ready for stain an urethane , had to mount it an set one of the fenders on an went WOW I want this trike , not sure how to break it to the wife yet . lol (she'd kill me ) so maybe thats not an option .
Gary

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats my first effort in wood in ages , but gimme some steel an were off to the races ! I tend to get carried away when I work with steel bigger stronger beefyer .probably not going to do much to the trike for a few days , I learned that the other rear fender I ordered is on back order , ya gotta love it when a supplier dosent give ya all the info until one fender is here or I would have found them else where , an may still do that . so ... I ordered up a bunch of the electrical system components , cant wait for those to show up I found combo lights that look like they're from 1930 , just cant find a horn to match thats got the right look

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
yank ......where do you come up with the stuff you find sometimes ?! lol
bout that old, I think it was older but close tho.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks mooner , was just piddlin around after hours tonight lined her fuel tanks an we all know how exciting it is to watch stuff dry , so inbetween rolling the liner around inside the tank , I thought about how much I love the micargi grips , heres the results . no uncomfortable grips on this one any more . it took some patients but fairly easy to do , before an after .

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Absolutely Awesome Man!!

I have a question though. In another thread a kid had his springer forks break and he took a spill. I was hoping for more info from him but no real response.

So what are your thoughts on the springer forks durability taking hits from bumps and/or have you done any reinforement work on them? Or do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks...