Thats It! I'm done!

GoldenMotor.com

PatTheThird

Apr 24, 2011
Southern Maryland
I have invested a lot of money and time into my gasbike. Its the best running and fun gas sipping transportation and i love it.
This weekend i was on my way home from the store. I was 300 yards from home on the local road doing every bit of the posted 35 MPH when a white Ford F150 catches my eye from my peripheral vision. The truck starts to pass me in the left lane and then creeps into my lane pushing me torward the curb. The driver is trying to time his lane change to leave me just enough room before his bumper clears my front tire.
If i wasnt as comfortable on my bike or if he had cought me by surprise i very easily could have dropped my bike and ended up being crushed under the rear tire of his truck.
I lost it.
As soon as i got over the shock of what this person did and realized he was completely aware of my proximity i started screaming for him to pull over. I dont think he knew that i was at top speed and couldnt hang with him if he chose to flee. He pulled over. I threw down my bike and started my verbal asault. His arguement was that i didnt belong on the street with "that" and i should get it off the road. I informed him "in between calling him a dumb mother #%^$#@" that i had just as much right to the road as he did. I called the cops and he took off.

Long story short, Im out. As much as i love this hobby and what it stands for i cant risk my life with these idiots anymore. I would love to hear anyone elses experiences. I live in Southern Maryland.

Be carefull y'all. There are a lot of motorists that dont give a f&ck about you.

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
I hear ya' dude. I am new to MB's and haven't been run off the road yet but I drive a BIG RED HEMI RAM and have troubles with moron drivers daily. Cali drivers are nuts! Either full throttle or 25 under the posted limit. Don't give up man. Also don't let you temper get the best of you. I learned the hard way. Long story but it cost me about $10 grand when it was all said and done. I know now the moron wasn't worth my time or effort. Even if he was basically "asking for it". Live and learn.

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Don't give up, but I do say "f**k them!".

Ride defensive, wear a hat (helmet), gloves, and sturdy shoes.
Expect at some time to be either pinched into a 'right turn now or die' or
my other favorite the stopped driver that gets eye contact with you and then
still pulls out right in front of you! Grrrrr!
Too bad that shot guns are, uh, er, sorry, never mind

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
DON'T QUIT!!!! A guy here in town purposely tried to hit me but I jumped on to the curb and was missed seriously by inches, man I was furious so I called the man on him and he hasn't gone near me since. But when I got home he was across the street so I asked him what the cr@p was he trying to do, his response, he didn't see me. But as I was passing him on the road before nearly turning me into pulp, his buddy in the passenger seat was watching me for about 2 blocks and they waiting there at the stop sign. So later I said to his buddy and you were watching me for a couple blocks don't tell me you didn't see me, but both of them just gave me a stupid smirk. So I got real mad and that's when I went to the gun store, not for a shotgun mind you though that did cross my mind, thats where the constable normally hangsout and I told what all happened. Not a problem since. Next time dude get the plate number and then call the cops you'll be alot better off then fighting them face to face by yourself, do it when the cops are with you. And believe me, I know how scary it is when you have no more 1.5 seconds to decide whether to slam the brakes, jump the curb or try and pass, and knowing only one of them is survival. Ride safe friends.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That sux Pat. We all understand your frustration, alot of us have been there. Don't give up on your ride just because of one asshat. Just remember to ride like you're invisible, and have a good mirror and safety equipment.

Best of Luck!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I constantly get "buzzed" by drivers who pass too close. It's a fact of riding bicycles, motored or not. I almost got hit by a car yesterday in a dark section of town, despite all my lights flashing. I wasn't wearing my yellow riding jacket because it was hot, but a black t-shirt. The guy claimed he couldn't see me.

I need to put a bell on my bike. Going to start dinging it anytime I get near cars lol

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here in GA. with the long riding season ( 9 to 10 months ) our state just pasted a law that requires auto drivers to give all bicycles three feet of room when passing them. This has been all over the local tv and seems to have helped.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
My neighbor's father ran a stop sigN in his F250 and almost killed me last week. I feel your pain.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've been riding bikes all my life. If someone doesn't try to run me over evey time I ride, something must be wrong. If you don't feel comfortable riding it's probably a good idea to stop, till you feel differently.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've been waiting for my in-frame tank a little while, so in that time I've had to find money to drive the minivan. And I can say this much: in this town anyway, the reckless motorists affect us all. Some people seem to think that honking their horn makes it okay to run a red light. Some don't even honk. I've been nearly T-boned that way recently. More than once. Guys in U-hauls forget what they're driving. I've been nearly run off the road. And other commuters are forever turning left in front of me when I have the right-of-way to go straight. And some have been turning left from a lane on my right, and right from a lane on my left. Don't get me started on turn signals.

In short, I've learned it doesn't seem to matter what you drive/ride. If you don't stay sharp and look out for idiots, things could go poorly. I've been in one bad bike accident, and a couple car accidents. If I gave up riding or driving now, the idiots win another round. And there's already too few level-headed drivers on the road.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Here in GA. with the long riding season ( 9 to 10 months ) our state just pasted a law that requires auto drivers to give all bicycles three feet of room when passing them. This has been all over the local tv and seems to have helped.
Yeah, they passed that here a couple years ago, maybe helped for a little while but people soon forget it.

My wife got clipped on her pedal bike a year ago in March, a moron going too fast THE WRONG WAY on a one way street. Sheesh. Knocked her down and luckily wasn't worse, still she was in physical therapy for six month and only now is feeling better.

You know, sometimes I see folks talk smack about the "spandex" set but I've never been knocked off the road by a bicyclist.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now for the other side of the coin. I was riding a new build to the lake. I lifted the engine (Friction drive) and rolled down a long hill. Just to see how it handled on coast for balance you know.

Then I am in the back of an ambulance. Some guy is asking me my name and where I live. Then I'm in the ER and find that someone saw me fall off the bike and called the ambulance I don't remember or have any idea why I fell off. When my wife got home from visiting me in the hospital a few hours later, my bike is sitting in my driveway.

I have no idea who did it but someone put my bike in the back of their truck and delivered it to my house without even a note so I can say thanks... Yes there are those who belong on the country work farm, but there are some good guys as well.

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Now for the other side of the coin. I was riding a new build to the lake. I lifted the engine (Friction drive) and rolled down a long hill. Just to see how it handled on coast for balance you know.

Then I am in the back of an ambulance. Some guy is asking me my name and where I live. Then I'm in the ER and find that someone saw me fall off the bike and called the ambulance I don't remember or have any idea why I fell off. When my wife got home from visiting me in the hospital a few hours later, my bike is sitting in my driveway.

I have no idea who did it but someone put my bike in the back of their truck and delivered it to my house without even a note so I can say thanks... Yes there are those who belong on the country work farm, but there are some good guys as well.
As a whole, people suck,
but a person can be extraordinary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ride as if you're invisible. That's the best advice I've ever heard and given.
I drive my cars the same way. With so many distractions and idiots out there you can not assume that they see you, or even care if they do.
Pretend that no one can see you and ride accordingly. Never take for granted that they will yield to you no matter what you're riding/driving.
Tom

PatTheThird

Apr 24, 2011
Southern Maryland
Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. I swear though, if i was invisible i would have been fine. This dick was aiming for me.
I grew up in Austin Tx where there are curbed bike lanes all over the city and i wouldnt be suprised if more people walked, rode and used pub trans than drive. That city has pedestrian BRIDGES for christ sake!
Anyway, the people in this reagon of the country( southern Md) havent developed the culture of bicycles and therefore hate what they dont understand. Maybe they can be changed but it wont be me that paves the way with my blood.
I am selling my gas bike and buying a Jamis Exile 29er. I will do my cycling where trees are all i have to avoid. I'll prob end up more hurt in the end but at least it will be my fault!
BTW, if anyone is interested in my bike let me know soon. Its going to the LBS to be sold on consignment. I want 450$. I know thats steep but its a 26 inch Jamis explorer 2.0 with 100mm shocks, and a Suntour cloud 9 seat. Bike is set up single speed. The engine is a Grubee gt5 66 with SBP crank case sound dampening kit, SBP expansion exaust, ThatsDax carb w\high performance air filter. The plug wire and cap are automotive and the rest of the entire electrical system has been replaced and waterproofed. This bike starts and runs so incredibly well. I weigh 300 Lbs and i can get up to 32mph or so and climb hills great.
If you want it let me know really soon. I will upload a pic soon.

Y'all stay safe.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Well, hope ya still visit us Pat. Best of luck!

Could post yer MB in the swap section. Some one will snap it right up at that price. (Not any where near "steep")

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
bought a cheap squeeze bulb horn at Walmart. The drivers seemed to hear it fine before I wrecked the bike in a one bike accident nothing to do with other drivers. the horn got broke though somehow. I haven't been able to ride so I haven't replaced it. I did put my pedestrian bell back on though.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i was wearing a bright orange shirt and ball cap made a small ride to the local store was in my lane had someone fly up behind me and honk the horn and say get out of the way i was on the right side and further right i woulda been on the sidewalk i

have learned the only thing to do is stick to bike trails or back roads takes longer but is a ton safer

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
That is a real unfortunate story you got there. I always carry some 1/2" ball bearings in my pocket just for sh*t just like that. They get to close intentionally then I'll make sure they remember not to do it again. Bike paths and side streets are they way to go, unless you can't help it. Hope all is well, take care. You never know, you may change you mind again in the future. :)