illegal in fl?

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Florida cracked down on anything they can't make money off of.

Moped - has to be titled. Not a Happy Time Chinese Bicycle Conversion, a genuine Garelli, Harley, Peugeot etc without a doubt moped.

Why is this even an issue?

Why don't you guys get off the computer, go down to the state house and go through the proper channels to get things changed?
I used to be able to call the gov's office but he has become so unpopular it is hard to get them. Then they put you on hold and hang up.

http://www.theonlinecurrent.com/ind...most-unpopular-governor-in-america&Itemid=105

I am thinkin it would be easier to build an electric bike from scratch out of bamboo than to get anything changed in the Florida laws right now.

Florida has lots of motorized bikes or mopeds or what ever you want to call them.

Lots of used electric bikes around too !

I bought 2 real nice electric bicycles for $70 (for both) that needed battery packs at a yard sale.

Here is how to get a real nice battery pack for real cheap ! :)

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Homemade Battery Packs

Plenty of batteries for cheap waiting to be used too ! :)

Craigslist example

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/2473827395.html

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
That first link is really interesting! The guy is going through a ton of money to save cents though. All that testing adds up.

Terry
High quality batteries made by Sony and such.

Just one weak cell going bad in a pack will disable the whole pack.

Finding the weak ones is the trick !

I have found many thrown away packs with all good batteries.

I am testing and storing up batteries now. Florida has a huge supply for free or cheap ! :)

I want to help the Florida kids get their ebikes on the road ! :)

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I know what you mean. I have a wireless door bell that using a tiny 12v battery that looks like a very small AAA battery. It went dead so I replaced it. The darn thing still had 10.3v in it! What a waste!

Terry

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i relooked @ all the posts from out of state'ers.
i didn't see anyone trying to stir things up or negative.
the were proactive & not just a post stating" proved my point." or how they had to change a doorbell battery.
so there is no reason to pee on your territory.

now to you question about having dealers showing that it was a kit has to do with that i read in one of the laws about a moped.
something about that it's construction needed to be original for a moped. not something starting its life for another purpose then turned into a moped.

can we be more proactive?
or is this like herding cats?
it would be easier to herd cats if one isn't hissing over territory.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
ok for some proactivity.

my town is very pro motorcycle. the city has event rides through town.
& there is a motorcycle organisation in town i will see if they have any advise.

i admit, i'm out of my league when it comes to knowing the system.
so i welcome help from anybody that want to help.

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
I'm sorry but they are not motorized bicycles in the state of Florida, they are Mopeds.
before you reply negatively, read closely to the state statues I have posted here.

322.03 Drivers must be licensed; penalties.—
(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver’s license issued under this chapter
316.003 Definitions.—The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context otherwise requires:
(21) MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped.
(77) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
320.01 Definitions, general.—As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, such vehicles as run only upon a track, bicycles, or mopeds.
(28) “Moped” means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
REMEBER THESE THINGS and one more thing that I have that I can email you, if you ask. I have a letter from the state attorney's office of Florida which states you do not need to have a driver's license to operate a 49cc MOPED.
also check out http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-61.pdf
where it states : III. OWNERSHIP DOCUMENTATION:
A. Motorcycles (not mopeds) as defined in 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, are titled and
registered pursuant to s. 319.20, Florida Statutes.
B. Mopeds as defined in 320.01(28), Florida Statutes, are NOT titled, per s. 319.20, Florida
Statutes; however, they are registered pursuant to s. 320.0803(1), Florida Statutes. A
bill of sale, vehicle registration certificate, Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, or an
affidavit from the applicant certifying that he or she is the legal and rightful owner of the
vehicle is required.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
To have an MCO, you need a VIN. Motorized bicycles do NOT fall into that category.

Unless your chinese kit came fully assembled with an MCO and I don't know, I'd say it's safe to say you've posted the exact same statutes everyone else has, and it's still getting us nowhere.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Yeah well he keeps showing us the statutes from the "registration" section..

If you look in the drivers license section, you'll see that it shows you DO NEED A DL..

It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits) that prey on the uninformed.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I'm sorry but they are not motorized bicycles in the state of Florida, they are Mopeds.
before you reply negatively, read closely to the state statues I have posted here.

322.03 Drivers must be licensed; penalties.—
(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver’s license issued under this chapter
316.003 Definitions.—The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context otherwise requires:
(21) MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped.
(77) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
320.01 Definitions, general.—As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, such vehicles as run only upon a track, bicycles, or mopeds.
(28) “Moped” means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
REMEBER THESE THINGS and one more thing that I have that I can email you, if you ask. I have a letter from the state attorney's office of Florida which states you do not need to have a driver's license to operate a 49cc MOPED.
also check out http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-61.pdf
where it states : III. OWNERSHIP DOCUMENTATION:
A. Motorcycles (not mopeds) as defined in 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, are titled and
registered pursuant to s. 319.20, Florida Statutes.
B. Mopeds as defined in 320.01(28), Florida Statutes, are NOT titled, per s. 319.20, Florida
Statutes; however, they are registered pursuant to s. 320.0803(1), Florida Statutes. A
bill of sale, vehicle registration certificate, Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, or an
affidavit from the applicant certifying that he or she is the legal and rightful owner of the
vehicle is required.
Florida Driver’s Handbook - Your Vehicle

http://www.fpts.us/documents/Florida_Driver_Handbook.pdf

quote: ■Operators of mopeds must have the minimum of a Class E license. No motorcycle endorsement is required.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
What are you talking about? The first line of what he posted says you need a DL . You don't need a MCO or a Title or a Vin just a bill of sale establishing you as the owner. We already know that.
You have to realize that what Arnet was trying to show was that you didn't need a DL because in one (or more of those statutes) it excludes a "moped", but all of those are in the registration statutes, NOT the DL ones.

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
Yeah well he keeps showing us the statutes from the "registration" section..

If you look in the drivers license section, you'll see that it shows you DO NEED A DL..

It's people like Arnet (who by the way, just wants to sell you his gas kits) that prey on the uninformed.
Not getting into a pissing contest with you on this, but you have ran your mouth too long about me. Your type is the type that takes it in the rear and complains about how it should be and don't do anything about it but *****. And for the comment of me selling kits on here, your dead wrong. Never once have I tried to sell anything on here. But what is funny is that I remember reading post from you trying to get people to buy your electric bike you I guess offer for $1200.00

Now as far as the Florida MOPED thing. I have talked to the State Attorney's office from the 14th Judicial Circuit and have a letter stating in black and white that you do not need a valid Florida driver's license to operate a moped(yes here in the state of Florida). and yes there is a letter head at the top of the letter stated who and where it is from. The best part is; I discussed the laws with them(the Florida State Attorneys unless you lost track) and they explained in great detail why you need not need a Driver's license to operate a MOPED. Now if you would stop posting your opinions about the law and start putting facts on here like I have been trying to do then the Florida Laws would not be confusing to people who come here for answers. Stop your school name calling on this chat forum that is for information sharing and "manning up". Call me so we can talk like men. Simply send me an e-mail and I will send you my number so we can chat. If you don't want to call and talk like men, then drop it with me. I graduated in 1990, went to college for three years then started serving my country in 1993 with the United States Air Force and I am still serving. The ball is in your court, choose wisely.

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
Florida Driver’s Handbook - Your Vehicle

http://www.fpts.us/documents/Florida_Driver_Handbook.pdf

quote: ■Operators of mopeds must have the minimum of a Class E license. No motorcycle endorsement is required.
Mopeds are not motor vehicles. the driver's hand book was based on the wrong information that was put in 322.01 which has the definition of the Motor Vehicle. Aparrently the definition was suppose to have Moped in there as part of the not included clan this is according to the State Attorney's office. The law writer never looked at the other 2 laws like 316.003 and 320.01 which clearly states mopeds are not motor vehicles. I challenge anyone to look in the law to find exactly where it says moped operators need to have a license. It doesn't!! 
322.03 states
Drivers must be licensed; penalties.—

so guess what??? mopeds are not motor vehicles which require no license. The State Attorney's office cleared it up for me, like I am trying to pass on to all of you. These are not motorized bicycles they are Mopeds. We all need to change our mind set on this and call them like they are. Some states call them motorized bicycles and others call them mopeds, but here in florida they are mopeds. Don't get caught up in the gears arguing on here; push the issue through out your local town or city. If you don't get the answer you want then go some where else. I have been going from the Governor's office about this all the way to the dmv office and everywhere in-between. I am still getting everything together, one more piece to the puzzle and I will have this done for everyone. Have faith and work with me on this not against me. And before you say you tried, try harder. The military has taught me to never give up on what you believe in or want. I am telling everyone it is closer than you think.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Mopeds are not motor vehicles. the driver's hand book was based on the wrong information that was put in 322.01 which has the definition of the Motor Vehicle. Aparrently the definition was suppose to have Moped in there as part of the not included clan this is according to the State Attorney's office. The law writer never looked at the other 2 laws like 316.003 and 320.01 which clearly states mopeds are not motor vehicles. I challenge anyone to look in the law to find exactly where it says moped operators need to have a license. It doesn't!! 
322.03 states
Drivers must be licensed; penalties.—

so guess what??? mopeds are not motor vehicles which require no license. The State Attorney's office cleared it up for me, like I am trying to pass on to all of you. These are not motorized bicycles they are Mopeds. We all need to change our mind set on this and call them like they are. Some states call them motorized bicycles and others call them mopeds, but here in florida they are mopeds. Don't get caught up in the gears arguing on here; push the issue through out your local town or city. If you don't get the answer you want then go some where else. I have been going from the Governor's office about this all the way to the dmv office and everywhere in-between. I am still getting everything together, one more piece to the puzzle and I will have this done for everyone. Have faith and work with me on this not against me. And before you say you tried, try harder. The military has taught me to never give up on what you believe in or want. I am telling everyone it is closer than you think.
That's me moondog

that THING's a motorized bicycle or moped ? - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

Not against you dude ! I used to sell moondogs as fast as I could list them.

Wish I could again.

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Florida Other Types of Motorcycles - FL Scooter & Moped Info - DMV Guide
Mopeds

State legislators define a moped as a vehicle fitting all of the following criteria:

Pedals that allow you to propel the vehicle

A seat for the rider

Three or fewer wheels

Motor of two-brake horsepower or less

Maximum speed of 30 mph on level ground

Automatic power-drive system

Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)

Mopeds need to be registered at a county tax collector office. The registration fee is $34.50, and you must renew your registration every year.

You'll receive a motorcycle plate for your moped. If you're under 21 and the registration is in your name, your plate will have a distinctive design and color.

Moped drivers need to have at least a Class E driver's license, and be 16 or older to drive a moped on a public road. A motorcycle endorsement isn't required.

You will not be allowed to ride your moped on bike or foot paths. All passengers under 16 must wear a helmet.

Moped drivers aren't required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance.

Be aware that moped drivers have the same rights and responsibilities as other motorists. And, yes, moped drivers can receive traffic tickets, too.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
The only problem with the above info is that it isn't dated. I wish places would say something like: as of (give the date).

Terry
i understand. it would be air tight if it had a date.
i would believe it to the current law because i didn't have to dig in records to get it.
i got it by looking up registration requirements for motorcycles then under that is mopeds.

when they only put that few & simple requirements, it leaves no room for interpretation.

i was looking for more information. like do i need to bring in a receipt of the engine? mine (if i can find it) says 66cc.
so i need bake & turning lights.
does someone "inspect" it & to what degree.

i to would like to see one of these letters.
even though a judge doesn't have to follow that letter.
also it isn't like the state attorney would help or even if allowed to because of his position .

i can see being in court.
" your honour, this letter from the state attorney states this."
" well the state isn't prosecuting this case. this is being prosecuted by the city(or county)."

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
51ccand up is considered a motorcycle by the statues. My engine is 66. Im going to fight this for our right to ride in the bike lane here in fl. Im glad I have a good paying job, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to fight this. :)