motor mount issue solved

GoldenMotor.com

stretchintha420

May 16, 2011
york ME
finally got my bike back on the road. after going through 4 sets of rear motor mounts and 2 front ones i came up with a solution. i was going to make mounts for the front and rear out of muffler clamps but the clutch plate was in the way so i made a different custom rear mount. i also took the frame from my old tool kit and mounted my gas can to it. i am 6'6 and my knees rubbed on the tank. real annoying. almost done with my second tank of gas. cant wait to change the oil ratio and open her up, see what she'll do..xx..xx..xx.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With that rubber in the mounts I can predict what will happen, eventually.

Much has been written here regarding mounting the engine in rubber. Don't do it. You are not eliminating vibration but transfering it to the mounts and fasteners. Get ride of the rubber and mount the engine solid to the frame.
Vibrations are inherent with a single cylinder 2 stroke engine, You can not eliminate them. If the engine is mounted solid, as it was designed to be, the vibrations will be absorbed and transfered into the bike frame, not the engine mounts or the fasteners. Premature failure of both of these components is almost a certainty with a resilient mount.
This is not just my opinion but one shared by most experienced builders.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't know if that's rubber or not, Tom. It looks almost like it is soft set JB Weld squished out from between the mounts and bike frame.
Hopefully the OP can chime in on this, as well as heed your well deserved warning concerning rubber mounting engines. I hope for the sake of his mounts that it is not actually rubber mounted.

stretchintha420

May 16, 2011
york ME
actually its pipe insulator foam. the mounts cut right through it, and it gives some of the area that wasn't laying flush has something to lay on. its what i had to do to keep my Frankenstein snowmobile together. its kept that motor in that so i hope its gonna work here. but as far as i know its metal to metal were it can be, thank you for the advise. as i am new to theese Chinese motors, but love moving around motors onto things that shouldn't have them.
if it however fails on me i finally got a pair of large frame motor mounts that i ordered from gas bike like a month and a half ago. when i put them on ill go solid. thanks again everyone all advise is greatly appreciated

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Comparing automotive/motorcycle engine mounts to mounting a Chinese 2 stroke engine in rubber is like comparing apples to grapes.
Automotive mounts incorporate rubber between two metal mounting surfaces where the rubber takes the vibrations. When people mount an HT engine they typically forgo the resilient 'layer' and rely on the engine's mounting hardware, fasteners to absorb the vibrations. Engine/rubber/engine fasteners. That's wrong!

I'm going to repeat here what has been stressed over and over. You can not eliminate the vibrations from a single cylinder 2 stroke engine. Restricting them to the engine will eventually result in fastener/mount failure.
Take a close look at any automotive/motorcycle engine mount and you'll see the difference in design. Metal/rubber/metal. But the fasteners that attach the engine to the mount are isolated from the frame by the resilient layer of the sandwich. Utilizing the engine mount fasteners with rubber between will not work. All of the vibrations that are still there will then be transfered directly to the fasteners. Result: Fastener/mount failure.
Tom